Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digital Foundry has a review about Dirt Rally 2.0. Suprisingly low resolution 1080p for ps4 pro. Any idea why they have not put more effort into ps4 pro version? Surely it should manage somewhere between 1440p - 1800p.

Sorry can not provide a direct link as less than 10 posts.

Digital Foundry has a review about Dirt Rally 2.0. Suprisingly low resolution 1080p for ps4 pro. Any idea why they have not put more effort into ps4 pro version? Surely it should manage somewhere between 1440p - 1800p.

Sorry can not provide a direct link as less than 10 posts.
hi! Welcome to the forums!

afaik, according to Ross Gowing, the game chief designer...the game handles its resolution across the PS4 Pro and XBX in different ways. As you mention, the PS4 Pro runs at 1080p and 60 fps but with a range of improved quality options. Xbox One X version has two modes, a mode in which you can switch off 4K mode with improved graphics quality options and native 4K with standard quality options, which imho is fine, since the game runs at 60 fps at all times.

hi! Welcome to the forums!

afaik, according to Ross Gowing, the game chief designer...the game handles its resolution across the PS4 Pro and XBX in different ways. As you mention, the PS4 Pro runs at 1080p and 60 fps but with a range of improved quality options. Xbox One X version has two modes, a mode in which you can switch off 4K mode with improved graphics quality options and native 4K with standard quality options, which imho is fine, since the game runs at 60 fps at all times.

This is a little confusing, as DF has this to say:

"So, if resolution is so close between base PS4 and Pro, what is there to separate them? Environment reflections are of a higher resolution, foliage density is upgraded and the 30fps replays benefit from screen-space reflections that are not present on the vanilla consoles. The Xbox One X features all of these upgrades too, while also benefiting from higher quality shadows."

So at least in terms of what DF were able to notice, 1X has all the Pro upgrades plus higher quality shadows to boot, while at 2.8 ~4 times the resolution. Even using the comparison tool, I can't see any features missing from the 1X. Anyone else ...?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-dirt-rally-2-0-all-versions-tested

Edit: I think the 1X has higher res ground textures in some of the shots - and I'm not talking about simply the appearance of more detail due to a higher resolution. (And possibly even a slightly higher level of aniso filtering in addition to higher resolution). Look around the mini in the desert shot in the comparison tool - it's actually a different and seemingly more detailed texture.

Last edited:
If I have to guess I would say Dirty Rally has a problem with the minor improvements to the memory-bandwidth on ps4 pro. They already increased some effects but it seems there is not enough headroom to get even a 1440p picture. The GPU itself should be able to do more, but if the game is already maxing out the bandwidth of the PS4 (which I assume) the jump to PS4 pro is not big enough to get a stable 1440p 60fps. It might be just engine related the the engine just needs much bandwidth to a certain point.
Than there is also the memory itself that can limit everything quite fast. just 512 MB more while x has 3gb more. Yes more would be possible with more optimizations, but developers don't have all time of the world to optimize. The xbox X is just more capable and therefore it is easier to just brute-force such things.

I really expect future games to be more often 720p on xb1, 900p on PS4, 1080p on PS4 Pro and 1440p on xb1x.

Devil May Cry 5: a spectacular fusion of cutting-edge tech and superb design

Capcom's run of great games - and superb technology - continues with the arrival of Devil May Cry 5. It's been eleven long years since the developer produced an in-house DMC game, and this new release is quite something, combining brilliant artwork with a sense of fun and style, slick action and another brilliant outing for the RE engine. Visually, Capcom has hit a home run with this one and while there are some important differences between the four console builds, the game looks superb and is a lot of fun regardless of the system you play it on.

Look at DMC5's characters up-close though, and the detail is even more remarkable. The combination of highly realistic skin shading with sub-surface scattering, wrinkles and the way skin stretches lends the characters a sense of presence beyond most real-time graphics. Even whiskers are fully modeled... and could we be looking at the most realistic teeth yet seen in a video game? Sometimes it's easy to forget how far we've come in terms of real-time graphics rendering, but we've reached the point where today's in-game characters can often exceed the quality of CG actors seen in movies like Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children.

Curiously, the standard PlayStation 4 seems to be the only version rendering at a native resolution - in this case, 1080p. The vanilla Xbox One achieves a similar look, but uses a reconstruction technique to get the job done - but despite this, the impact to quality up against PS4's native presentation is slight. Reconstruction techniques are also used on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, delivering 1800p and 2160p respectively. Anti-aliasing quality seems slightly improved on the X, and the Pro can shimmer slightly in some spots, with an interlacing-style artefact.

For gameplay, 60fps is the target and three of the four consoles mostly deliver here. PS4, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are mostly locked, but screen-filling, bandwidth-sapping alpha effects can see the game falter. It's Xbox One X that is impacted the most, though the effects are fleeting, while the Pro and base PlayStation 4 are a touch smoother. The differences are fairly minor overall and all consoles play well - but the Xbox One S code clearly has an issue sticking to its target frame-rate in any kind of combat, failing to hit its 60fps target most often. Only in the more basic traversal scenes is fluidity maintained.

It looks wonderful on all systems, but in common with most multi-platform releases of late, it's only really Xbox One S that falls short owing to its performance shortcomings - but even then, it's still plenty of fun. Ranking each console version isn't easy though. Obviously, for base consoles, PS4 is an obvious pick, but when it comes to the enhance machines, both Pro and X have their plus and minus points. The Sony machine runs a touch smoother, while X boosts resolution and anti-aliasing quality. Where it matters though - in terms of the fun factor - either is highly recommended.

Already pre-loaded for PC/Steam... can't wait for midnight. :yep2:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-devil-may-cry-5-pc-denuvo-protection-tested

Devil May Cry 5 PC's Denuvo DRM has a CPU hit
Capcom leaks unprotected code and it does run faster - but will you actually notice?

For a few short hours after the PC release of Devil May Cry 5, a code fork available on Steam was available that stripped the game of its Denuvo copy protection, with only Steam's own DRM systems left intact, according to reports on the Steam community forums. Not surprisingly, the leaked .exe - apparently intended for use by Capcom's QA team - has been tested by a number of users, with some noting a 20fps improvement to performance, while others could see no improvement whatsoever. So, what's really going on and does Denuvo really hit CPU resources as has often been claimed? Since the .exe in question is not a crack of any sort, we decided to put it to the test.

We deployed our mainstream PC gaming test system for this one, which pairs a Core i5 8400 with 16GB of 2667MHz DDR4, along with an AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB. Devil May Cry 5 itself was installed onto an SSD, and to begin with, it's fair to say that we noted no difference in performance whatsoever. The game has much in common with another RE Engine title, Resident Evil 2 Remake, and the tech is characterised by leaning heavily on the GPU with a very light CPU footprint. With that in mind, bringing CPU performance to the forefront in order to discover any baseline load added by Denuvo isn't easy on this set-up.

Dead or Alive 6 Tech Analysis over Xbox One, One X, PS4, 4Pro...

Team Ninja return with its signature fighter – Dead or Alive 6 - the first built specifically for Xbox One and PS4 systems. John covers all consoles and PC in this all-in-one tech breakdown. How much of an upgrade is it compared to the last game? And how well does it hold to 60fps on the weaker consoles? Let's find out.

@AlBran

Entire Article here - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-the-division-2-tested-on-all-systems

The Division 2 delivers impressive tech and good performance on all systems
But bugs and pop-in issues need to be addressed.

After an extensive beta test, The Division 2 has finally launched. All versions are available for testing and the overall impression is that, similar to its first title, Ubisoft Massive has handed in a successful multi-platform project - accomplished all on all consoles, with PC once again delivering a huge suite of options.

It's been three years since the original launch of The Division; technology has evolved with the sequel, and Massive still delivers a pleasantly clean and crisp look to the game, with Xbox One X operating at native 4K - 3840x2160 - a significant achievement for this advanced engine. Dynamic resolution scaling is a feature of the Snowdrop engine and was deployed in the first game, but despite a number of sample tests, everything we looked at here presents at a full ultra HD pixel count. Perhaps it kicks in during heavier scenes we've not witnessed yet, but so far, everything effectively points to a native 4K release.

As you might expect, PlayStation 4 Pro doesn't quite match the X, with the developer deploying both DRS and temporal anti-aliasing in delivering its 4K output mode. Our sample range witnessed 3456x1944 at the top-end, dropping to a recorded minimum of 2458x1382. A reconstruction technique appears to blend in visual data from previous frames, so with static scenes in particular, Pro looks remarkably similar to its X counterpart.

In motion, the effect isn't always successful, but it's clear the technique has more benefits than drawbacks, with the TAA working well in addressing most aliasing issues. We say most, because pretty much any flavour of TAA has a side-effect and The Division 2 is no exception: it's hard to overlook the banding on movements in this case - especially across your gun as you turn from a light area to dark, or any motion across fine detailing like fences. You'll notice it from time to time, but on balance it's a positive influence on the final image.

full and true 4k on the XBX, what a console!

On a different note, following this thread on DirectX 12 running on Windows 7, and low level access to the hardware, the differences in performance between DirectX 12 on W7 and DX 12 on W10 and so on..... I wonder if there is a notorious performance difference between both SOs using the same API -DirectX 12-.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/dx12-on-windows-7-finally.61126/

Also, after watching Richard playing games on a PC APU, I wonder... Why not also review embedded graphics solutions like the Intel Graphics HD 630 -I have one in my laptop's i7700HQ cpu though the 1050Ti is better of course-. I've seen Intel HD graphics cards performing well while running Wii games on emulators like Dolphin...

Additionally, Intel is working on raytracing capable GPUs for 2020.

Dead or Alive 6 Tech Analysis over Xbox One, One X, PS4, 4Pro...

Team Ninja return with its signature fighter – Dead or Alive 6 - the first built specifically for Xbox One and PS4 systems. John covers all consoles and PC in this all-in-one tech breakdown. How much of an upgrade is it compared to the last game? And how well does it hold to 60fps on the weaker consoles? Let's find out.

I'm still disappointed that Capcom, Namco, and Tecmo/Team Ninja latest fighting games still haven't matched or surpassed the graphic fidelity of NetherRealm's Studios prior fighting games, let alone their upcoming ones. At one point and time, Capcom, Namco, and Tecmo/Team Ninja were beating Midway Games (now, NetherRealm's/WB) in the graphics department.

Technically, with the exception of hybrid ray tracing shadows I can't see anything weaker than in The Division 1 on PC. Since there are more scenarios only the quality can fluctuate more. But that's more due to artistic aspects and it has to be said that TD1 made a genius strike with New York City at Christmas time with lots of snow. TD2 has a different visual style and because it plays in very hot summer it is often very bright. Also in The Division 1 I didn't like some light scenarios at certain times of the day while I like The Division 2 global lighting any time of the day.

At first glance explosion/smoke effects, tessellation, shadows, water, vegetation and ragdoll phyiscs were significantly improved. The interactive water seems to use a lot of tesselation. I could bet that the number of objects per frame increased again. Other open world games with urban areas look empty in comparison.

Last edited:
Some parts of The Division 2 looks very flat, the lighting and AO aren't the best in business. I find the outdoor foliage heavy area of DV2 in daylight the most eye pleasing, some of the indoor sections are really lacking tho. I think it's a wash between DV1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back