Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DF: Call of Duty: World War 2 first look between One X and 4Pro -- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...uty-world-war-2-ps4-pro-xbox-one-x-first-look

There's the sense that Sledgehammer may have pulled back slightly from the super-dense post-process approach seen in Infinite Warfare - film grain is pared back a touch, for starters - but there's still the feeling that the developer is aiming for a cinematic look to the title. Similar to many titles we've seen recently, the game employs a heavy temporal component in its anti-aliasing, meaning that the traditional super-rich detail level associated with native rendering in video games is absent. You can call the presentation soft, but by that chalk, the same can be said for any movie or TV show. Like it or not, techniques such as these represent the future of the video game aesthetic.

And by extension, that makes pixel-counting - which relies heavily on flat geometric edges - very difficult to deploy on this title. Similar to other games that rely heavily on temporal anti-aliasing, the difference between Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro primarily comes down to clarity. The Microsoft platform does render more pixels more of the time, and this primarily manifests by presenting additional detail in the image. It's no game-changer though - things just look a little clearer for most of the time.
Hey. Usually the difference of clarity is similar to the difference we had with 900p and 1080p in this game based on their slider, maybe a slightly bigger difference in some images.

But surprisingly In others scenes resolution appears a touch higher on Pro. Yes you read correctly. Quote from DF:

However, in some scenes horizontal resolution takes a visible hit on Xbox One, with image quality appearing similar to on PS4 Pro. This scene appears a touch more refined on the Pro, for example.

It's visible on the second pic on their slider. The Titanfall 2 predicament again...

Quote from DF:

However, in some scenes horizontal resolution takes a visible hit on Xbox One, with image quality appearing similar to on PS4 Pro. This scene appears a touch more refined on the Pro, for example.

Where is that quote from? It doesn't show up at all in the article. The closest I see is the following which talks about 4Pro having artefacts and OneX performing better as expected.

It's early days here, but our impression is that WW2 employs dynamic resolution scaling on both systems, with the lower bounds set at 1920x2160, rising to a full-fat 3840x2160. Perhaps not surprisingly, it's Xbox One X that gets closer to the higher-end of the scale, and the artefacts present in the horizontal upscale (apparent on both systems) are more obviously observed on the Pro presentation. Whether it's a checkerboard-style side effect or a product of temporal upscaling remains to be seen, but we feel there's more work to be done here in how WW2 makes the final resolve pass for 2160p output.

Where is that quote from? It doesn't show up at all in the article. The closest I see is the following which talks about 4Pro having artefacts and OneX performing better as expected.
It's well hidden in the article, unsurprisingly. It's in the second image of their comparison tool. You need to click on the second image.

EDIT: Resolution on the fourth image looks almost identical between both machines. It's really interesting to see the Pro game reaching the roughly the same resolution than the XBX game in those scenes. That's 2 images on 5 images.

But I do think the game must be very well optimized on Pro. Marketing deal and such.

Last edited:
It's well hidden in the article, unsurprisingly. It's in the second image of their comparison tool. You need to click on the second image.

Ah, thanks for that.

Seems like its more the exception than the rule, but it's still possible. I wonder what might cause that, perhaps doing more taxing steps on the One X then having the dynamic scaling engine kick in.

Ah, thanks for that.

Seems like its more the exception than the rule, but it's still possible. I wonder what might cause that, perhaps doing more taxing steps on the One X then having the dynamic scaling engine kick in.
Yes they said the X has better shadows and AO, which makes totally sense with the XBX specs.

But you'll notice that resolution in the fourth image does look nearly identical on both machines.

It's visible on the second pic on their slider. The Titanfall 2 predicament again...
Separate from WWII TF2 did get a hot fix to resolve those issues. I think yea WW2 well optimized here. And ideal. We could see more of this go forward, with PS4 as lead platform.

005 and 001 still show some advantages on the 4Pro, texture filtering-wise, so that's curious. Geometry res still seems to be a bit higher on the OneX though.

http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/2017-11-15-10-06/Pro_001.jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/2017-11-15-10-07/XOX_Patch_001.jpg
~10% higher (geometry) resolution on XBX for those.

I found ~14% higher res for XBX on the first image from their comparison tool. Which gives me around 1424p for the XBX version ( 1360p on Pro). Richard stated that the minimum res on XBX was 1440p. Honest mistake I suppose.

005 and 001 still show some advantages on the 4Pro, texture filtering-wise, so that's curious. Geometry res still seems to be a bit higher on the OneX though.

http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/2017-11-15-10-06/Pro_001.jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/2017-11-15-10-07/XOX_Patch_001.jpg
Well spotted ! I didn't notice at first.

Last edited:
Digital Foundry takes on Star Wars BattleFront II, 4Pro / Xbox One X
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-battlefront-2-xbox-one-x-pc-ps4-pro-analysis

In many respects, we're looking at a virtual re-run of what we saw recently with Bethesda's Wolfenstein 2. The id Tech 6 engine shares a clutch of technologies also found in Frostbite, designed to maximise the visual return on all systems while targeting 60 frames per second action. First amongst them is dynamic resolution scaling, where both Wolfenstein 2 and Battlefront 2 adjust pixel-counts on the fly in order to sustain performance. PS4 Pro tops out at 2560x1440 on both titles, while Xbox One X pushes further - much further - delivering a maximum of 3840x2160, or full-fat 4K. That's a 2.25x increase in pixel-count, a surprising uplift bearing in mind the respective specs of the two systems.

Of course, dynamic resolution scaling could conceivably close the gap, but the variance in resolution between Pro and X remains wide: based on several measurements we took, the range varies between 1296p and 1440p on the Sony console, rising to an 1800p-2160p window in the same scenes tested on Xbox One X. The numbers are stark then, but another technology shared with id Tech helps to mitigate matters to a certain extent - temporal anti-aliasing. The Frostbite implementation isn't quite as intensive as id's, but it does the job in smoothing off the jaggies and eliminating the most obvious, glaring signs of upscaling.

The net result is, again, similar to Wolfenstein 2. Star Wars Battlefront 2 on Xbox One X sits nicely on a 4K screen, offering up an excellent presentation overall, even if dynamic scaling ensures that you're not seeing a native resolution image all of the time. Meanwhile, PlayStation 4 Pro is significantly blurrier as its framebuffer is upscaled up to the machine's 4K video output. There's a kind of double-whammy for Pro users here as texture filtering quality is intrinsically tied to native resolution, so not only does the Pro look blurrier overall, but ground artwork can lose even more detail, further muddying image quality.

---

The scope of the issue isn't exactly huge. Watch the video above and you'll see that it's literally a small collection of clustered frame drops resulting in some occasional, mild stutter that can manifest in any of the game modes. However, the point of the dynamic scaler is surely to ensure a consistently locked 60 frames per second throughout and it's this level of flawless performance that PlayStation 4 Pro delivers in like-for-like areas where Xbox One X does not. Bearing in mind that the frequency of the drops isn't exactly prolific in the scenes we tested across both platforms, the chances are that further tweaking to the dynamic resolution technology could iron out the stutter, but as good as it is, Xbox One X isn't quite the conclusive winner in all areas right now.

However, for console users with 4K displays, the new Microsoft console delivers a significantly improved presentation overall compared to its Sony counterpart, and the gulf in clarity and pixel counts is just as surprising as it was with Wolfenstein 2.

The unlocked frame rate looks like a good fit for VRR ;). Sadly I just bought a TV this BF they won't support it. But I don't necessarily want to pay upper premium for those features.

Ideally with more time at the wheel perhaps they will iron out some of the performance issues with 1X. It has been, somewhat of a rush to get the titles ready around 1X launch window.

Another massive difference. It seems that the X can easily ouput 100% more pixels than the Pro. I didn't think that would be the norm before we had actual comparisons.

So, i have to recognize that i was clearly wrong.

Another massive difference. It seems that the X can easily ouput 100% more pixels than the Pro. I didn't think that would be the norm before we had actual comparisons.

So, i have to recognize that i was clearly wrong.
I think a lot of us are feeling similar in this regard. Our understanding of the bottlenecks was woefully inadequate, so when a company comes along and lets you know that they've profiled all these games at 4K and engineered the system to relieve these areas, a lot of us either didn't know what to the extent of what that meant or wrote it off as pure marketing BS. As some of our discussion from varying points alluded to earlier, Scorpio had and is running older tech than 4Pro when it comes to those Vega features.

Curious to see how they approach next gen. likely the same way, except now they see all the games at 4K with real code.

Curious to see if we will ever see a ROI on those command processor customizations.

Curious to see if we will ever see a ROI on those command processor customizations.

In my opinion, the X highlighted very well how Sony decided to make compromises on bandwith to keep the cost of the PS4Pro low.

I don't think that the difference is the result of any specific optimization made by MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back