Devil May Cry 4 Going Multi-platform! (Xbox 360/PS3/PC) *Confirmed

Its safe to assume though that PS3's hardware price adds relatively more limiting pressures towards budget for purchasing games compared to Wii or the 360. 360 also already has old buyers who now may have more money available to spend for games plus games that got cheaper compared to when they bought the console.

Agreed. That was my point ;)

Technically you started it … ;)

By implying since it’s no longer a PS3 exclusive…then the graphics sucks.

Anyhow, the game just looks dated (IMO); Xbox 360 & PS3 can handle better graphics than that. The original screens or the first pic’s of DMC:4 were awesome; now its meh.

Agreed. The graphics do not look cutting edge but before anyone gets thew foolish idea that this is due to the game being multiplat: BFBC.

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa! :oops:

So let me get this straight, back when this game was exclusive, there was high expectations for this game (the typical leap from its predecessor), and now that its MP all of a sudden the level of quality has decreased severely?
Please lets not get this started again...:???:

Are you kidding me? The game will be at least as good looking as LP was and at 60fps which is plenty fantastic looking. Just because the game is MP doesn't mean it can't look great.

B]now that its MP all of a sudden the level of quality has decreased severely?[/B]

IMHO yes, no doubt about it. Multi-platform games majority of the time will never looks as good as games that are built specifically for a certain hardware. If DMC4 is built from ground up specifically for the PS3 hardware, I'll look HELL A LOT better. Capcom cut some serious corner when they decided to make DMC4 multi-platform. Multi-platform games doesn't push hardware like exclusive does.

Well didn't they make the engine multiplatform?

The engine is written on PC so the games is develop on PC and port to PS3 and Xbox 360. In last year TGS, the dev was demoing DMC4 on Windows, I belive. I think this is how Capcom is going to work this generation.

I thought their graphic effort in DR, LP and DMC4 is quite poor. I remember when the first batch of DMC4 screens were out, I commented that DMC4 looks like DMC3 in high res. Anyway the PC version of LP is looking better than 360, even only so slightly, but at least to play it on something greater than 1080p with more AA and AF will make it somewhat acceptable. So I hope DMC4 on PC will be similar perhaps with high res textures and high detail model support over consoles would also be nice. And I hope Capcom continue to support PC.

Agreed. The graphics do not look cutting edge but before anyone gets thew foolish idea that this is due to the game being multiplat: BFBC.

It's using a multiplatform engine so that does have to do with it looking worse. If they specifically made the game for the X360 PS3 or PC it would look better.

So you guys know the limitations of Capcoms engine or you know how the game could possibly look better by being developed specifically for either plaform that noone really knows any of the limitations to (well outside of developers)?? Thats nonsense. Your making generalized assumptions on what the game "could" look like based off mainly/partially console preference. There could be a thousand plus reasons why this title doesnt meet someones criteria for impressive: time, budget, labor are only scratching the surface. Whats next "lazy devs"?? So let me guess on the 360 they could have done 4xAA or on the PS3 spus could have have been used to increase physics based processing.

I dont know of any other action game that runs 60fps that looks comparable to DMC4 at this point (the game still has almost half a year till relese).

Personally the title is kind of hot and cold for me but the latest batch of screens are rather impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its safe to assume that if the developers concentrated all their efforts on one platform to exploit as best as possible its capabilities they would have done a better job on the graphics, but come one the game looks great enough as it is.

Also Devil May Cry is the Street Fighter of beat-em ups. It relies greatly in timing and fast responsive controls. It needs as high and constant framerates as possible.

Capcom will not go for super graphics and effects, and think about the framerate later. Stylish, varying and skillful action comes first

I happen to love DMC but this video of the snow level (gameplay parts) is awful. It's not even average. This city level i've see l looks ok but this is plain bad IMO.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=19061&type=wmv

I see what you're saying but I would attribute it to an issue of incomplete lighting over anything else..

Lucky for Capcom however the DMC series has NEVER been one which relies on (graphical) technical merit to succeed (its all in the gameplay and the art)...

And to be honest, if Lost Planet and Dead Rising are anything to go by in terms of how great the performance of the frame work engine is (And more specifically how much more the visuals of the game come alive when it's seen in motion as opposed to looking at static images on the web) then I'm sure DMC4 will be a stunna of a title come release..

Its safe to assume that if the developers concentrated all their efforts on one platform to exploit as best as possible its capabilities they would have done a better job on the graphics, but come one the game looks great enough as it is.

Also Devil May Cry is the Street Fighter of beat-em ups. It relies greatly in timing and fast responsive controls. It needs as high and constant framerates as possible.

Capcom will not go for super graphics and effects, and think about the framerate later. Stylish, varying and skillful action comes first

Two examples from Capcom to consider:

-RE4
-Lost Planet

RE4 looked great on GC. Possibly the best looking game on the console. Multiplat.

Lost Planet looked very nice on xb360. I wouldn't say the BEST graphics, but certainly in the running. This game used the same Multiplat engine as DMC4.

As it is, DMC4 is looking up and down. Going by Capcom's previous efforts this gen, I'd say this title may not be the cutting edge graphically, but will be above average at least and likely will end up being one of the better looking games at the time of release.

As you pointed out, Capcom is likely getting everything in the game first at a fast, stable framerate before pushing the graphics to the limits.

Re: Resident Evil 4,

Having completed the game on PS2 a few times now (and I know the GC version looks better, even if not by much), I wasn't all that impressed by it technically. It's a nice game, very solid and the framerate constant, but that's about it.

Capcom used to be better IMO. At least they still make excellent games and Resident Evil 4 was definately one of them, even if not for its technical achievements.

(Same applies to Devil May Cry btw)

Anyway, looking forward to Devil May Cry - not for because of its graphics, but because the game as always been quite a fun experience!

Lost Planet looked very nice on xb360. I wouldn't say the BEST graphics, but certainly in the running. This game used the same Multiplat engine as DMC4.
The engine itself isn't so much of a determinant. It is very much possible to build platform-specific content, that rides on the strenghts and avoids the weaknesses, even if the engine runs everywhere. You can use the U3 engine to draw a single flat-shaded polygon, and you should full well expect it to run at thousands of fps on a good system, no matter what you think the engine stands for.

Or more specifically, if you want to ride on the XBox360 eDRAM, you could build your glass palace level in a way that results in lots of transparent overdraw, which you otherwise would rather avoid, including on the PS3, but there you could go with more blended texture layers or do whatever else the PS3 does well.

If the engine itself determines your performance profile, it is in need of improvement. A good engine is one that scales to render whatever the artists and designers come up with as efficiently as possible. Not one that categorically runs with the hand-brakes on just because it could support an effect which you don't actually use.

Lost Planet is an interesting example because it appears that the sheer amount (and quality) of explosions and particle effects nicely fit my point :)

You do realize that RE4 was backported to the PS2, right?

Yes I do realize that.

Re: Resident Evil 4,

Having completed the game on PS2 a few times now (and I know the GC version looks better, even if not by much), I wasn't all that impressed by it technically. It's a nice game, very solid and the framerate constant, but that's about it.

Capcom used to be better IMO. At least they still make excellent games and Resident Evil 4 was definately one of them, even if not for its technical achievements.

(Same applies to Devil May Cry btw)

Anyway, looking forward to Devil May Cry - not for because of its graphics, but because the game as always been quite a fun experience!

I haven't seen both versions running side by side, but seeing (owning) it run on GC, I'd say it was a top-10 title (visually) last gen - all platforms. Some did not take to the earth tone browns etc but I thought they did a fabulous job of recreating their target environment given their platform limitations.

IST pointed out that RE4 was ported, not multiplat from the start. With this being the case I'm sure certain corners had to be cut and from what I heard, even some levels were changed to accomodate ps2. Why could the same not be done in this instance for DMC4? Tweak the game for best performance on both machines. It was this way last gen for many multiplat games. ps2 would get more/better particle fx and they would do the best they could with xb.

Rolf N - I understand the tweaking of content to match the target platform and certain platforms hold advantages in areas vs others. However, I would not claim these advantages/disadvantages are any greater in variation than last gen and in fact, I'd argue these varations between strong-point/weak-point is smaller this gen than last (variation xb v ps2 > xb360 v ps3). Having seen what the engine is capable of in LP and seen what the Teams at Capcom are capable of via last gen efforts (RE4), I have no doubt DMC4 CAN be a top tier title visually on both ps3 and xb360. Whether they will invest the Time/Money into achieving this goal is another story.

Back