Developers, what are some of the craziest things you seen or heard about?

I've recently found a nice "guide" for this sort of thing, I think it was in a presentation about Shadow of the Colossus held at GDC. It was something along the lines "I only start implementing a feature after the designer has asked for it on three separate occasions."

If only I had thought of that on my own / earlier...
That wouldn't really work with the creature. Maybe if "three" was replaced with "60+." As short as its short-term memory is, the creature was still a "universal eyecandy" type of fellow, and the lack of short term memory also meant that sometimes, it would ask the same thing more than 10 times because it would never remember if it mentioned it to you before, or because it would actually believe that it was a good idea.

So if I'd followed that credo of 3x asked, we'd have a game where a spy glowed blue and buildings, cars, guns, and powerups (in the form of "stargates") would all be made of chrome in various colors. Yes, a "health pack" would actually be a blue chrome stargate you had to fly through to heal. We'd also have "Hitler II" being the World's Fuhrer through alien technology he stole by defeating the aliens. How did the aliens get defeated by the Nazis if they had such superior technology? Simple! Quote, "You have to remember that the Nazis were great architects, and they did so much more for society than programmers and artists will ever be able to do."... huh?!?!? Oh, yes, you'll have a sniper rifle that is "more functional" than any other ever made because it glows and shines a spotlight beam on the target you're aiming at. All guns have muzzle flashes that need to be a minimum of 4 feet wide. Of course, the final boss is Hitler II himself, and when you seemingly kill Hitler the first time, it's revealed that he's actually a liquid chrome shapeshifter who has joined with a neural network in order to become the ultimate being. So now you have to kill "King Hitler"... and then it's revealed that the neural network was just using Hitler to get to you in order to find the supreme human (in order to combine with you making a neural net cyborg), thereby making you the new World's Fuhrer so that you can rule the world with an iron hand (oops... I mean, "chrome hand") in your own image.

Ummmm........................... yeah.

Whoah that guy took Wolfestenin3D, Matrix, Tron, Start Trek, Wipeout etc and mixed them in a blender?
Yep... not that it stayed that way, thank goodness. And actually, the creature had never played Wipeout, but "futuristic" was the credo of everything it spouted. Really the only game it had ever played prior to starting the company was RTCW. And I love how it bragged about spending 16 hours a day for 3 months to beat it. Watching the creature play Halo at one point, I realized why. You ever seen those "dumb" AIs that run into a corner and shoot into the corner when you're shooting at the bot from behind? Well, that's actually the creature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it safe to assume this guy does large amount of hard drugs?
If only it were that simple. The creature is just naturally stupid and genuinely thinks highly of Hitler. It came into the office one day wearing an SS uniform and everything. When the programmers got moved out into the "5-sided octagon" room, I saw a small novelty 3rd Reich flag in the attached kitchen where all the concept artists were soon going to end up. And to top it all off, it accuses every one of us of doing various drugs. Apparently because I'm from India, it had assumed that I'd been consuming ganja anytime I got pissed off.

The creature is essentially a living caricature of a wealthy guy with extreme arrogance who thinks he can do anything and everything he touches turns to gold. No other thoughts can ever get into that empty head.

Last edited by a moderator:
ShootMyMonkey said:
You ever seen those "dumb" AIs that run into a corner and shoot into the corner when you're shooting at the bot from behind? Well, that's actually the creature.

Grunts? They should consider hiring him for the Halo Movie. He'd have to wear a gas mask too a.k.a. muzzle.

I'd buy that right away!
Any other takers? I mean, where else can you find a game where Hitler rides on a T-Rex? And all the guns fire from a single point? And every time you change weapons, a beam comes down from the sky to disintegrate the old weapon and beam down a new one? And you have spies who are so functional, they glow!

ShootMyMonkey said:
Any other takers? I mean, where else can you find a game where Hitler rides on a T-Rex? And all the guns fire from a single point? And every time you change weapons, a beam comes down from the sky to disintegrate the old weapon and beam down a new one? And you have spies who are so functional, they glow!

HAHAHAHAHAAHAH

:LOL: :LOL:

You know its still painfully hard form me to understand what he is trying to say with the guns that fire from a single point :LOL:

he probably has an IQ of such height that its hard for us low-IQ, insignificant, poor and middle class people to understand

WHAT? He is an INDIAN? Cast him to the FIRE! j/k there.:LOL:

I used to have friends from India. Being a long time since I last saw them though

Nesh said:
What the hell? Bring it to the PS3 and 360 God damn it! I love these games! You dont need HD for this!!
Someone needs to remind him that Street Fighter 2 isn't in 3d ;)

You know its still painfully hard form me to understand what he is trying to say with the guns that fire from a single point.
I had that same discussion with it about 5 times, and I still don't get it... at one point, I thought it had simply mixed up the meanings of the English words "from" and "to," though that was on a slightly different topic --

When I'd gotten the lightning gun working...
It : "Why does it look like the lightning is going away from you?"
Me : "Beeeecaussse... it's a gun and you're trying to hit people with it?"
It : "Yeah, but when you shoot things, stuff comes back at you."
Me : "Ummmm... such as?"
It : "You know, like when there's the recoil and the bullet comes out the side."
Me : "Right, the expanding gases from an explosion and the spent shell."
It : "Yeah, and that's the stuff that's moving from the bullet that hits you."
Me : "What do you mean moving 'from' the bullet? The bullet is being shot away from you to the target, and the recoil is the reaction from from the force that shot the bullet."
It : "The thing is that the bullet is coming back to you from the target because of Newton's Third Law. That's what causes the recoil."
Me : "Newton's 3rd law is about *forces*, not objects. And what the hell kind of bullet comes back to you?"
It : "Listen, when you fire a gun, the bullet goes from the target to you because of the equal and opposite reaction that sends the bullet back and then a spring pushes it out the side."
Me : "Bullets go from your gun to the target, not from the target to your gun!"
It : "No, because you can't make energy so it has to cancel out. That's why it goes from there... to here."
Me : "................"
It : "In any case, the lightning should go from the guy to the gun because it's just like lightning in the sky."
Me : "Did you... just... mix up the meanings of the words 'from' and 'to'?"
It : "From is from and to is to... and lightning goes from the sky to the gun."
Me : "And stupid is as stupid does..."
It : "Huh?"
Me : "We're not stealing lightning from the sky."
It : "Oooohhh... that makes sense then."
Me : "Glad I could help."

he probably has an IQ of such height that its hard for us low-IQ, insignificant, poor and middle class people to understand
Very convenient segueway for a one-liner quote from the creature --
It : "You know, for every 10 points of intelligence a normal man has, I have 100. That's why it's totally fruitless to argue with me."

That was the reason it gave for firing someone who gave his 2 weeks notice that he was quitting. I believe, though, that the creature had said that a few times before, but that was the first time it said that to me.

Alstrong said:
How would you implement a good widescreen option for a 2D game :?:

there already was a widescreen option in some NeoGeo games. and that Metal Slug Anthology they talk about has a PSP version, so widescreen.

ShootMyMonkey said:
Me : "And stupid is as stupid does..."
It : "Huh?"
Me : "We're not stealing lightning from the sky."
It : "Oooohhh... that makes sense then."
Me : "Glad I could help."

Very convenient segueway for a one-liner quote from the creature --
It : "You know, for every 10 points of intelligence a normal man has, I have 100. That's why it's totally fruitless to argue with me."

That was the reason it gave for firing someone who gave his 2 weeks notice that he was quitting. I believe, though, that the creature had said that a few times before, but that was the first time it said that to me.
What the feck?:LOL: That's the most messed up thing I have ever heard.

Blazkowicz_ said:
there already was a widescreen option in some NeoGeo games. and that Metal Slug Anthology they talk about has a PSP version, so widescreen.
If it was an arcade game, wouldn't it normally be widescreen?
Edit: The reason this might matter is that it may be more comfortable to play a fighting game in widescreen. That's what the developer of the Darkstalkers fighting game for PSP said, that the original game was on arcade and that the PSP screen would make it better playing then a normal console version.

Back