Developers moving from Ps2 to Xbox.

It will please you to know then that current PSP SDK/documents are fully available in 3 languages (English, Japanese, Korean), as well as the web/dev support stuff.
Can't say if PS3 will be handled in the same fashion, but clearly they are doing some things right now.
Korean ????
Every day goes by the more surprised I am about the role of South Korea in the world. I mean I wouldn't suppose that Korea is the 3rd country in providing developers !!!

Lazy8s said:
The shift in momentum won't have the Xbox outselling the PS2 or catching up in installed base; it just means that the deficit in sales rates is noticeably closing compared to earlier projections made by both companies and the industry. Developers will obviously not all choose to target the Xbox foremost... just some developers whose focus fits well with the Xbox demographics as noted and who are anxious to get a piece of its impressively growing market.

The upcoming pricedrops and line-up of PS2 titles will of course spike sales, but they won't reverse the aforementioned trend. Sony has already had to react to lower demand by decreasing planned shipments for 2004, as they're on the back end of the cycle and passed the peak. And PS2 is already mass market, so releasing some big sequels reaffirms that status without really changing it.

At some point, no matter how much you hate Sony, even a foaming at the mouth fanatic has to see the futility of such posts.

Sony has destroyed MS with a roughly 7 to 1 installed base. Trying to come up with new ways of looking at the numbers isn't going to fool anyone or change reality. Developers are, and will continue to, target the dominant PS2 market. End of story.

No one outside of peecee dev houses would ever think of wasting time on a xbox title unless it was PS2 hand-me-down port. Not now, not next year. And with the possible shortened life-span of the xbox even the peecee dev houses aren't going to looking to put any resources into new xbox titles other than ports of their existing MS windows games.

Tuttle said:
No one outside of peecee dev houses would ever think of wasting time on a xbox title unless it was PS2 hand-me-down port. Not now, not next year.

So the likes of Sega and Tecmo don't count?

function said:
Tuttle said:
No one outside of peecee dev houses would ever think of wasting time on a xbox title unless it was PS2 hand-me-down port. Not now, not next year.

So the likes of Sega and Tecmo don't count?

Tecmo??? No one cares what platform they support.

Sega, the former partner of MS, has only two games and a PS2 port.

Yeah, that xbox momentum is really picking up speed.

If you have an existing, or nearly complete, MS windows game that can be easily and cheaply dumped to the xbox, publishers will be happy to talk to you. If you even try to pitch an original xbox title to a publisher, they will laugh you right off the phone.

Tuttle said:
Tecmo??? No one cares what platform they support.

Tecmo obviously do, as do Microsoft. And the point wasn't about whether anyone cares (as they obviously do) but whether "No one outside of peecee dev houses would ever think of wasting time on a xbox title unless it was PS2 hand-me-down port".

Sega, the former partner of MS, has only two games and a PS2 port.

Do you mean in development right now? Can't say I'm up to date, but Sega's sports titles alone come to a greater number than this, and the arcade conversion of Outrun clearly isn't a "peecee" (as you put it) game or PS2 conversion. What is the PS2 conversion BTW (I'm not following Sega output closely)?

There's a world of difference between a game which has been developed with multiple formats in mind and a game which is a "PS2 hand-me-down port". Cross platform games like Sonic Heroes or the upcoming Driver 3 aren't hand me downs from any system to another.

In the case of Driver 3, the Xbox game is in development at the same time as the PS2 version and looking better. The PC game will come from the Xbox game once it's pretty much finished. It's neither a PC game nor a sloppy PS2 port.

Long time lurker, I had to mention

marconelly! said:
I know you're a PS2 afficionado, but you're pushing your credibility with these statements. Examples? Look at the Madden series, (referring to all 3 consoles) PoP, Burnout 2, Spider-man, ROTK, Soulcalibur II, Sims, etc. It's rare that a cross-platform title ever looks the best visually upon the PS2, despite it being the launch console.
I think you have misread what I've said. I've said that titles that are developed and released at the same time rarely differ much. Now, maybe I'm dead wrong but to me, PoP, ROTK, SC2....

You have to stop right there because there is a TON of difference between the PS2 SC2 and the Xbox SC2.

That was a game as someone mention earlier being developed for the lowest common denominator. (PS2-Arcade-System256?) Regradless how it looks on PS2 is not how it COULD have looked coded only for Xbox.

And even though this game was coded for PS2 hardware, it is almost unplayable on certain levels with certain characters the SLOW DOWN IS SO BAD!!

I'm not talking anal "Blue shadows" slow down. I'm talking combo altering, horrible SLOW DOWN.

Xbox has slow down in only ONE AREA and that is one of Spawn's throws, there is none anywhere else in the game. Add to the fact it takes up 7 second at times to load the level after choosing a stage. (Get annoying fast) and you have the weakest link.

I play both version EXTENSIVELY (I'm sure I could take anyone here)

Just my extremely small 2 cents

So

If you have an existing, or nearly complete, MS windows game that can be easily and cheaply dumped to the xbox, publishers will be happy to talk to you. If you even try to pitch an original xbox title to a publisher, they will laugh you right off the phone.

I think it was Ubisoft laughing all the way to the bank with the first Splinter Cell. Or are you saying anyone at this stage of the game? So your saying all we will see at E3 is half assed PC ports, that can be quoted?

Li Mu Bai said:
marconelly! said:
I know you're a PS2 afficionado, but you're pushing your credibility with these statements. Examples? Look at the Madden series, (referring to all 3 consoles) PoP, Burnout 2, Spider-man, ROTK, Soulcalibur II, Sims, etc. It's rare that a cross-platform title ever looks the best visually upon the PS2, despite it being the launch console.
I think you have misread what I've said. I've said that titles that are developed and released at the same time rarely differ much. Now, maybe I'm dead wrong but to me, PoP, ROTK, SC2, Madden, SSX3, don't differ much, and in some rare cases (like SSX3) even look slightly better on the PS2. It's ironic that the very games you mentioned, actually don't have any image quality problems on PS2 that are not found on other two (most of them support 480p for example). GC multi-platform games sometimes suffer from some small problems as well, which delegates them as inferior, be it irregular framerate, or poorly adapted controls. With GC ports it actually happens too often to ignore. Sometimes even Xbox versions have their own small problems (like slowdowns in ROTK) that other two don't have. But I think those differences are really too small to matter, or to be called 'underperforming'. Now, Max Payne 2 or Wreckless on PS2 - that is underperforming.

You're right, but as I said this is a "rare" occurence w/multi-console releases. NFS:HP would be another cross-platform title that looks best on the PS2. (like SSX3) The majority however, (even when supporting 480p) do have visual differences. And yes, sometimes the differences are indeed small, & other times they are glaring or very noticeable.

Li,

It looks like we are in broad agreement.

I just don't like untruths to be propagated.

SSX3
Burnout2
Soul Calibur2
Prince of Persia
Return of the King

This titles all look very good on both the Xbox and the PS2.

I agree that there are hundreds of other multiformat games that look superior on the Xbox. It was just with these titles where I have personal experience of, that I wanted to make this point about.

I did not see your second post until I had already written mine, this invalidated the need for me to submit mine. Timing!

Out of interest what Xbox games would you recommend that graphically demonstrate the superior power of the system?

Panzer Dragoon Orta is a good example of the power the X-Box has. The water in one of the levels is fantastic looking.

If someone tell that guy, i mean this Great reporter, that the 8th fastest supercomputer in the world has 375Mhz processors and the fastest supercompteur has "only" 500MHz processors, he would go crazy!

Someone should point out to you that, that info is very old, Israel has an Optical CPU that owns pretty much everything on the planet.

LisaJoy said:
If someone tell that guy, i mean this Great reporter, that the 8th fastest supercomputer in the world has 375Mhz processors and the fastest supercompteur has "only" 500MHz processors, he would go crazy!

Someone should point out to you that, that info is very old, Israel has an Optical CPU that owns pretty much everything on the planet.

And you should be told that optical processors is a very old field of research (going back to the nineteen-sixties AFAIK) , and that for a long time they have been able to theoretically outperform any straight electronic computer. Only nobody has been able to make them general and flexibel enough for popular use.

What Lenslet has achieved, is making an optical array-processor easily manufacturable and relatively cheap, they haven't solved the other problems associated with optical computing.

IST said:
Panzer Dragoon Orta is a good example of the power the X-Box has. The water in one of the levels is fantastic looking.

That was probably done using EMBM, something GC is allegedly better at than xbox.

AFAIR, the sequence with the very nice water, was in a very confined tunnel, with not much else going on but the dragoon and some Dune like worms, so it could have been done with polygons.

Squeak said:
IST said:

That was probably done using EMBM, something GC is allegedly better at than xbox.

AFAIR, the sequence with the very nice water, was in a very confined tunnel, with not much else going on but the dragoon and some Dune like worms, so it could have been done with polygons.

I keep hearing the GC is better at EMBM(and better at self shadowing than projected shadows), yet I see very few games with EMBM and usually very low quality(and more games use projected shadows than self shadowing), is it because gamecube doesn't have enough memory or can't do the specular right or what?

and better at self shadowing than projected shadows
Shadowbuffers (which would be GC's native approach to selfshadowing) use projected texturing as one of the steps to making them work.
So it should be pretty obvious why using projected textures alone is a fair bit cheaper (and somewhat less complex to manage).

Re: Long time lurker, I had to mention

matroxgaming said:
marconelly! said:
I think you have misread what I've said. I've said that titles that are developed and released at the same time rarely differ much. Now, maybe I'm dead wrong but to me, PoP, ROTK, SC2....

You have to stop right there because there is a TON of difference between the PS2 SC2 and the Xbox SC2.

That was a game as someone mention earlier being developed for the lowest common denominator. (PS2-Arcade-System256?) Regradless how it looks on PS2 is not how it COULD have looked coded only for Xbox.

And even though this game was coded for PS2 hardware, it is almost unplayable on certain levels with certain characters the SLOW DOWN IS SO BAD!!

I'm not talking anal "Blue shadows" slow down. I'm talking combo altering, horrible SLOW DOWN.

Xbox has slow down in only ONE AREA and that is one of Spawn's throws, there is none anywhere else in the game. Add to the fact it takes up 7 second at times to load the level after choosing a stage. (Get annoying fast) and you have the weakest link.

I play both version EXTENSIVELY (I'm sure I could take anyone here)

Just my extremely small 2 cents

I played a good deal of SC2 PS2 and didn't notice any slow down. Which characters set it off?

Back