Some developer comments on PS3/X360 (Edge Magazine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanio

Legend
I posted this on another board, but since it's yet to reach B3D's shores I'll post it here too.

The new issue of Edge features the next-gen console hardware as its lead story, including a number of developer interviews and a healthy spread of comments from lots of different places. A lot of it really isn't that illuminating, at least as far as Edge's editorial goes, but some of the dev comments are interesting.

Note, that this is really only a small part of the dev comment in the magazine, so I hope it's OK to quote it here. There's much more still in the magazine (though I think these are the more interesting ones):

Without further ado..

Mark Rein (Epic)

On PS3 UE3:

"It took less than a week to get the engine up and running, without rendering, with just wireframe rendering - out at Sony's office. The first couple of days the guys were just playing - we had no idea they would come home with a working engine. That surprised us because you know it has a new processor and all. And then once we got the kit it took a couple days to get it rendering, and maybe another week or two to make it fast and efficient and learn our way around it."

On PS3 dev kit:

"Any time we created any content it looked exactly the same on PC as it did on PS3. The only thing was, even though we had these ass-kicking Nvidia 6800 Ultra SLI systems, when we got the actual RSX card, even though it's not running anywhere near full speed, it was more than twice as fast as our SLI setup."

(?!)

"It's a Cell processor and an RSX. Those are the main components of PS3. There are going to be other faster things than we had in the devkit. You've heard about their amazing memory bandwidth - this doesn't have any of that. The early kits are fast like that but they have Cell and RSX so it really is a perfect development station for PS3 and anything you run on it is only going to run a hell of a lot faster on final hardware, not slower - you're not going to get any surprises or lose any features".

On X360

"It (non final X360 kit) is about 30 percent right?
We think it's 25% [chuckles] That's why we weren't showing on a devkit. We told them there's no way we're showing our game on a devkit. We have UE3 running on devkits - that's how we got all these licensees - but... we think it's crazy. But we're not a launch title so we have a little extra time."

SN Systems (Middleware):

"The overall impression that we have with developers is that everyone perceives the PS3 to be slightly or significantly more powerful than 360. That's going to make quite a difference, since everyone's pushing high def so hard. High def means a lot more pixels being drawn, a lot more throughput, so that little bit more power PS3 has could be quite significant. But what you have to bear in mind is that peoples' perception of the PS3 is based on what they think they're going to be getting in devkits in probably a few months time rather than on what they have now. And also that the Xbox dev kits are not yet full speed either."

"Currently there are a lot more X360 dev kits out there than PS3, so the natural lead platform right now is Xbox. And if Microsoft can hang on to that, even if PS3 is more powerful, if games are converted from 360 to PS3, they're not going to be inclined to make the most of the PS3's power. But if PS3 devkit volume ramps up, and developers are comfortable enough working with it - there's a lot of "ifs'" in this! - but if they find it easy enough to work from, then they'll make it the lead platform and then that bit of power will make a real difference."

"If one machine is much easier to develop for than the other, it could have a significant advantage in early titles. Microsoft's earlier start may help it but it remains to be seen if that lead will last as developers take on more PS3 development. I don't think it's yet clear whether one of the next-gen machines will be easier to develop for than the other."

On Cell:

"Since these different parts (SPEs) can all access their own memory at full speed simultaneously, it should give the PS3 a significant performance advantage if you can program to take advantage of this. Just how big an advantage this really is remains to be seen, and will be down to good tools and clever programming by the game and middleware developers"

Andrew Richards of Codeplay (Middleware):

"The move from singlecore to multicore CPUs is going to be a major disruptive change. For launch titles, developers will just run the main C++ code on one core processor and try to farm out processor intensive work to other processors. This will work for a while, but not forever. It's too labour intensive and doesn't scale."

The issue features lots more, and comments from many other devs, but many aren't tech-orientated, and these were the more interesting ones that were (imo).

"I don't think it's yet clear whether one of the next-gen machines will be easier to develop for than the other."

This surprises me.

And Mark Rein loves the PS3 (definitively) 8)

Also, one other interesting thing - ATi thinks the alpha kits at E3 were more like 50% of the power of the final hardware.

Many words have been written about the performance and features of PS3, but not much has been said about the development tools. It is widely acknowledged that PS2 had a very weak toolset when it launched (and even after launch). Sony has worked hard to remedy that for PS3 and will deliver what looks to an very good set of tools this time.

For CELL it has been disclosed that the development environment will be Linux with a full set of compilers, debuggers, etc based on open source tools. For RSX NVIDIA will port their PC toolset. The combination should make make development environment more programmer "friendly" and close, if not eliminate, the gap with Microsoft's XBOX 360. You will still need to be a clever programmer to extract the best performance out of PS3, but at least you will have the tools to make it happen.

even though we had these ass-kicking Nvidia 6800 Ultra SLI systems, when we got the actual RSX card, even though it's not running anywhere near full speed, it was more than twice as fast as our SLI setup."

this must be a mistake or an exaggeration, etc. more than twice as fast as an SLI, meaning more than twice as fast as GeForce 6800 SLI ?
RSX > 4x 6800 ???

even Jen Hsun said RSX would be over twice as powerful as an 6800, but not twice as powerful as 6800 SLI.

"Any time we created any content it looked exactly the same on PC as it did on PS3. The only thing was, even though we had these ass-kicking Nvidia 6800 Ultra SLI systems, when we got the actual RSX card, even though it's not running anywhere near full speed, it was more than twice as fast as our SLI setup."

:oops:
[/b]

Megadrive1988 said:
even though we had these ass-kicking Nvidia 6800 Ultra SLI systems, when we got the actual RSX card, even though it's not running anywhere near full speed, it was more than twice as fast as our SLI setup."

this must be a mistake or an exaggeration, etc. more than twice as fast as an SLI, meaning more than twice as fast as GeForce 6800 SLI ?
RSX > 4x 6800 ???

even Jen Hsun said RSX would be over twice as powerful as an 6800, but not twice as powerful as 6800 SLI.

Well he says it twice, so I doubt it's a mistake ;)

What Jen Hsun said was that it had more power than 2 6800 Ultras, not 2 6800s in SLI. The former is more powerful than the latter, given that in the vast majority of cases you're not getting 2x the power of a 6800 Ultra with SLI. Given that there have been supposedly even greater improvements in some specific areas, I could believe that they may be seeing 2x the performance even over 6800 Ultras in SLI. Let's remember also that NVidia has consulted Epic on this chip - it's supposed to have "UE3 optimisations" - and it's likely their engine is getting a lot of benefit out of any improvements, big or small.

dcforest said:
Many words have been written about the performance and features of PS3, but not much has been said about the development tools. It is widely acknowledged that PS2 had a very weak toolset when it launched (and even after launch). Sony has worked hard to remedy that for PS3 and will deliver what looks to an very good set of tools this time.

For CELL it has been disclosed that the development environment will be Linux with a full set of compilers, debuggers, etc based on open source tools. For RSX NVIDIA will port their PC toolset. The combination should make make development environment more programmer "friendly" and close, if not eliminate, the gap with Microsoft's XBOX 360. You will still need to be a clever programmer to extract the best performance out of PS3, but at least you will have the tools to make it happen.

They are slowly providing Windows hosted tools, although you still need a linux box. No one wants to dev on Windows and Linux at the same time, it's a pain in the ass.

SNSystems are also working on tools for the PS3.

Right now they still have a long way to go to reach the polish of MS's devtools, but they are launching later so they still have time.

Looks like the PS3 toolkits are going to be better than what some people want to believe. Interesting that people think that the PS3 can show a visual difference if programmed correctly.

bbot said:
Uh-oh for Microsoft. I'm glad I favor PS3.
I don't know if I would say 'Uh-oh for Microsoft' as much as I would say 'way to go Sony'. MS' only chance was for Sony to screw up large in some form or another, and aside from the whole unresolved HDD situation, everything we read seems to indicate Sony has really done alot to rectify its mistakes with the PS2.

"The overall impression that we have with developers is that everyone perceives the PS3 to be slightly or significantly more powerful than 360. That's going to make quite a difference, since everyone's pushing high def so hard. High def means a lot more pixels being drawn, a lot more throughput, so that little bit more power PS3 has could be quite significant.

100 GFLOPS/s more power on PS3 than xbox360, is not a slightly difference, ITS A HUGE difference, and this wont show in graphics, but in physics, AI and animations. bad developers dont even bother about this. So ONLY great developers will show the difference in power between PS3 and XBOX360. ( for example : GT5 and MGS4 )

I find this weird. Why didn't you post any positive quotes about Xbox 360, or negative quotes for PS3?? BTW for those that don't know, Titanio/Gofreak is a known Sony whore.

oh lovely, one developer praises both PS3 and XBox 360 while one (unknown middleware) says thier developers find PS3 slightly more powerful than Xbox 360 considering that these qoutes are from the time when PS3 dev kits were shipping with a Cell prototype and SLI while Xbox 360 dev kit was shipping with only 2x2.5 ghz with a X800 which is a much lower power than an SLI 6800.

Then we see everyone jump to the conclusion PS3 rules. please! you guys are supposed to be logically minded considering ur all from an engineering mathematical background. 2 + 3 is not 4. the PS3 development kit had a more power than then Xbox 360 dev kit.

Consider this. The PS3 dev kit had a Cell running between 2.8 and 3.2 ghz while its GPU was an SLI 6800! thats around 60-70% as powerful as a final kit. While Xbox 360 had a dual core 2.5 ghz which X800 which is 30% as powerful as the final hardware.

Finally if you notice what they talked above in the qoutes everyone specifically mentioned "The Xbox 360 dev kit was only 25-30% as powerful as the final hardware" that means NO one has the final hardware. while PS3 is much closer development wise to final hardware than the Xbox 360 setup

so before the jargon begins of labelling thus that Xbox 360 is much less powerful you should remember its the GPU which will win the war of the consoles and that will be determined when both system games ship out as exclusives, not as ports

I hate people spreading misinformation. The RSX is not the equal to 4x 6800. That's ridiculous. :rolleyes: It was stated by Sony themselves, that the 6800 SLi setup at E3 was 75% of the power of the final PS3.

Tatiano, a 4x 6800 would mean its TFLOP rating is not 1.8 Tflop but 3.6 Tflop

This is precisely the reason why i made the thread "why the nitpicking of proving PS3 is much more powerful than Xbox 360"

hasanahmad said:
so before the jargon begins of labelling thus that Xbox 360 is much less powerful you should remember its the GPU which will win the war of the consoles and that will be determined when both system games ship out as exclusives, not as ports

Again, I will state 2 games : GT5 and MGS4. PERIOD

hasanahmad said:
again: if you want to state games: Project Gotham Racing 3 and Ghost Recon 3!

I dont want to compare launch titles for xbox360 to games on ps3 launching fall 2007. this is unfair.
But if you want, than : GT5 vs PGR3 = :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back