Details trickle out on CELL processor...

Mulciber said:
london-boy said:
Now maybe the Cell can let you zoom a particular image in real time smoothly with no artifacting and interpolating data that's not there

Nope. Doesn't work like that. Data isn't there, nothing makes it up. If something does make data up, then who's there to say it's going to be accurate? Sounds fishy to me, there might be subliminal messages in the made-up-data, and i don't want to wake up one day going "SONY... GOD... KILL EVERYONE... KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!!"

we can blame movies for this i guess. i love it how they always get data that simply isn't there out of pictures with just a few clicks of a mouse.

Well I wasn't thinking of something like that Blade Runner scene where he zooms in on some quadrant and navigates within the picture of some apartment to get details that's not immediately apparent.

No I was thinking about an elaborate scaler, like the ones in those DVD players which upscale 480i data to 720p or 1080i except you can move around in the upscaled image/stream. Also in the context of being able to change camera angles in a sporting event. What if you synthesized all those camera angles and stitched them together in real-time like you do with a QuickTime VR picture? Then you would pan around or seemingly rotate the camera in real time. Like you do in the replay modes of football video games.

I remember one Superbowl, they tried something like that, which let them rotate the cameras in replays. Not sure why they never continued. Probably very expensive to pay the service which was doing it.

Vennt said:
Guden Oden said:
one said:
Seeing this table in July 2004 again, TOOL ver. 1 will be out in March 2005.

Looking at that picture of the slide, it would seem the PS3 premiere is some time BEFORE E3 next year? There's three stars, and the words "premiere", "E3" and "TGS", implying we may not have to wait as long as mid/end of may to know the full glory of PS3. :D

Not only is it before E3, but that first star is in the FY04 box, anyone know when Sonys financial year runs from?
From April to March. It's been like that for the last 10 years IIRC at least. If you read their fiscal reports, all annual terms run through the end of March. And that picture is interesting, but I'm not holding my breath just yet. I hope it's right though. PEACE.

Damn, I was thinking the same thing, London-boy said. Did'nt Sony make that new chip to put in their WEGA tv's. The one with the complexy algorithms, to let you zoom into ANY point on the TV with any scene, it is currently on. It;s been some months, but in my 'daydreaming' spurts of how Sony can innovate Cell, I've been thinking of them incorporating that ship, so you can pause and zoom into any month of any game , and maybe take pictures a la GT4.
Peace

Back