Details trickle out on CELL processor...

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by j^aws, Nov 29, 2004.

1. j^aws

Veteran

2. Qroach

Veteran

I'd really like ot know just how close it will get to the 1 Tflop number hyped a while back.

3. V3

V3
    Veteran

I want te get my hands on that ISSCC papers. It'll be released later today, so prepare the ninjas :)

I want to know the die size of that PE, on 90nm.

4. Vince

Veteran

How funny, Look at the difference between what i was going to post and Q did :p

Also, I wouldn't put much faith in Mr. Zimmon's comments, he's doing the same bandwith/flop math that Deadmeat used a year or so ago. External bandwith isn't an indication of calulation ability (ala contemporary GPUs).

5. Vince

Veteran

Same, I'd like to see how far we (or I) was with: On the Feasibility of the Broadband Engine So far it looks excellent from that article, 128KB SRAM @ 4.8GHz and 128*128bit registers per S|APU, with 4 FPU & 4 FXU's per S|APU, upto 8 S|APUs per PE, 6.4GHz RaZor interconnections (with and concurrency will be interesting). Looks to be DMAC heavy to arbitrate, which a few of us have emphasised.

Patent personified so far.

6. Fafalada

Veteran

It's official - Deadmeat = Mr.Zimmon. :shock:

Question, but was the TFlop number ever in official press BEFORE the Broadband Engine patent circulated the net? I've only ever known the TFlop projections from that patent myself, but granted I tend to ignore PR when it talks actual numbers.
    And obviously the numbers derived from the patent were mainly hyped by this very forum (and the rest of the internet press), never Sony or IBM themselves.

7. V3

V3
    Veteran

So they opted for stream processors afterall ?

So Cell is pretty much like taking out the programmable parts of the typical current GPU, which are stream processors, and putting it on the CPU with the benefit of fine tuning the transistors, to be able to achieve high clock speed.

8. V3

V3
    Veteran

Yeah, its very similar so far, hope we will get more detail soon enough.

9. V3

V3
    Veteran

From Kutaragi, himself, if I remember correctly.

Reading at what EEtimes has reported, 1 TFLOPS using 4 PEs shouldn't be a problem, it seems.

10. j^aws

Veteran

High level abstraction and software scheduling/resourcing via CELL OS?

11. Qroach

Veteran

Faf,
    I thought that number came from a sony employee in an interview somewhere?

Vince,

Wow we found different parts of the article to find interet in :shock:

Is zimmon's talking about on chip or off chip memory speed?

12. j^aws

Veteran

Seems to be no mention of eDRAM yet? Would we expect it on one PE?

13. Vince

Veteran

Exactly, but what was funny is that your selection could have fooled most of us for Deadmeat. You picked out a comment from a PhD from UNC-Chapel Hill that used the exact same, falty, logic that Deadmeat did and we've covered here several times.

And he's talking about off-chip. On-die bandwith will be enormous if the SRAM is running at 4.8GHz and follows the patent. Seriously, haven't you seen his PDF? it's been around for a bit. That's likely why he was asked, not that it's something many on this board couldn't have made.

14. V3

V3
    Veteran

Come on Qroach.

That's the rumoured about the PS3 off chip memory, which is rumoured to be those high frequency Rambus memory. Well not really rumoured anymore since Rambus made a statement about PS3 using them. Its just the configuration is unclear.

15. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

Anyway, the actual clock speed of EE was upped 50Mhz from the paper at ISSCC 1999, so similar change (1st gen Cell for workstation, 2nd gen 65nm Cell for PS3) is expected.

16. V3

V3
    Veteran

Well the patent didn't mentioned about eDRAM either. Most just assume its eDRAM. But there should be a pool of memory, where it can be partition, even for just one PE.

17. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

Ask him :)

18. Qroach

Veteran

It's not a funny selection, don't be so defensive. Regardless of what the article said, I've always been curious how close they would get to the 1 Tflop number, as numbers like that usually have a way of come out less then promised.

Nope. I've stayed clear of all the patent anylayzing and would rather get the real information from sony, if they are indeed talking. I thought this article would have more quotes from sony directly.

19. j^aws

Veteran

I think the ISSCC is still in progress, expect some official press releases after...

20. V3

V3
    Veteran

They've got the info from the ISSCC 2005 papers. The conference won't be on for a couple more months, I belive.