Astronomy and space exploration

Jeez, it seems that we won't see Starship's IFT-5 happening anytime soon.

Musk is a jerk, but I don't think everything he does is wrong, and this shit with the FAA can turn him into a martyr.

IDK, TBH I think there's an element of self-martyrdom here.

He wants to fly one of, if not the, largest rocket boosters ever flown, then return it to the launch site and catch it with some really rather sketchy looking chopsticks. Given the video I've seen over the past months, and the way SX are frantically welding more metal to those arms, I think even they aren't confident that this isn't going to end in tonnes of stainless steel being where it wasn't intended to be.

The launch site is in a nature reserve that he knew was there when he decided to build his thing there. But tax breaks are a powerful drug.

Given his company's very recent track record of scattering bits of rocket over the nature reserve (and if they fuck this up badly enough a foreign country) it's not beyond the wit of an non-Ketamine-addled brain to figure out that some people might ask questions.

Now he is playing the persecuted billionaire who everybody hates because of his genius, his only interest is the survival of the human race, Mars, blah, blah, blah.

Hush Noel.

IDK, TBH I think there's an element of self-martyrdom here.

He wants to fly one of, if not the, largest rocket boosters ever flown, then return it to the launch site and catch it with some really rather sketchy looking chopsticks. Given the video I've seen over the past months, and the way SX are frantically welding more metal to those arms, I think even they aren't confident that this isn't going to end in tonnes of stainless steel being where it wasn't intended to be.

The launch site is in a nature reserve that he knew was there when he decided to build his thing there. But tax breaks are a powerful drug.

Given his company's very recent track record of scattering bits of rocket over the nature reserve (and if they fuck this up badly enough a foreign country) it's not beyond the wit of an non-Ketamine-addled brain to figure out that some people might ask questions.

Now he is playing the persecuted billionaire who everybody hates because of his genius, his only interest is the survival of the human race, Mars, blah, blah, blah.

Hush Noel.
Kind of agree, but, as far as I know, the FAA isn't avoiding clearance for SpaceX because of the infrastructures not being ready, but because of other stuff which SpaceX recently denounced:

All of these things are independent AFAIK. There are multiple issues. The stuff you've linked to seems to mostly be about the Florida launch sites not Texas, I can't see why IFT-5 would be impacted by that other than general antagonism.

The FAA may well be under-resourced, but be very clear that when Musk and SX say that they do not mean that they think that the FAA should have more resources, they mean that they feel that the FAA should just give them carte blanche to do whatever the fuck he wants.

I don't think a world where Musk gets carte blanche is a good world.

I love rockets and space and all that - I'm a professional astronomer FFS. SX have done some remarkable stuff. But his argument that the Earth's environment is screwed so humans need to move to Mars, whilst continuing to screw with the Earth's environment just makes me wonder about him.

To put a different perspective on this - the FAA right now may well be feeling a bit cautious because of their corporate capture by Boeing and subsequent under-regulation of their activities when it comes to screwing their airliners together using enough screws. Next time you get on a Boeing plane, ask yourself whether you'd prefer a cautious FAA, or a "yeah fuck it, looks good to me, that'll do" FAA.

SPACEX-STARSHIP-FLIGHT-4-BOOSTER-RECOVERY.jpeg

Back