Dead Island - Trailer Release and you MUST watch!

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but after watching this I had a sneaking suspicion this was the PC version using a controller... I mean, it looks above what the 360 can muster in my opinion.

I was fairly blown away by this.

My impressions are completely opposite. There were framerate problems, AA was some kind of post-process filter and pop up was really horrible.

This game looks cooler than I thought it would. Kind of like an Elder Scrolls game. Seems like getting attacked by a huge crowd of zombies would be deadly, making it more of a survival game than most other zombie titles, which are straight up action games.

After seeing that, I'm pretty psyched about 4 player co-op. A good co-op survival game would be nice.

looks interesting. I like open world games so I might bite. The detailed injuries remind me of SOF2.

Edge Review (3/10) and quote (for those trying to decide between this and R3 or other games ;)):

The survival fiction is particularly inept. Items respawn after a short window of time, lending infinite resources to a narrative that trades on desperate struggle. On a micro level, it leads to the absurd. Characters cry about dehydration as energy drinks lie at their feet, while tricky supply runs sit at odds with the infinite quantity of canned food in the room next door. And these inconsistencies cannot be forgiven with a weary shake of the head. Ongoing trade missions can be exploited as XP mines, while weapons need never go blunt thanks to endless trading funds. Only an awkward shopping interface dissuades such underhand play – every item has to be sold one unit at a time. Selling 17 magnets in a row is a true survival horror.
Sounds like they couldn't pull off the idea and you're left with a generic zombie whacker, although that's only one review. But still, unless Edge are outright lying these are quite serious fault IMO (plus mention of game killing bugs in the full review).

Shame. I was looking forward to this. I've just cancelled my pre-order and it looks like I'll just be playing R3 this weekend.

Edge Review (3/10) and quote (for those trying to decide between this and R3 or other games ;)):

Sounds like they couldn't pull off the idea and you're left with a generic zombie whacker, although that's only one review. But still, unless Edge are outright lying these are quite serious fault IMO (plus mention of game killing bugs in the full review).

Game Informer pretty slammed Resistance 3's mp calling it generic while also ripping off Halo's bubble shield and hologram armor abilities amongst other things.Its just one review that doesn't dictate the quality of the game.My experience with DI is the exact opposite of what Edge has been saying.

See my subsequent post. ;)

edit: Okay, it was in R3 thread.:

Metacritic shows the usual range from 50s to 80s. I think with less polished games it comes down to whether the reviewer gains enough subjective, visceral satisfaction to overlook its faults or not. I'll take a scathing review as being more accurate in describing a game's faults but not necessarily as indicative of whether you'd enjoy the game or not. User reviews help there, but most useful is a demo. Clearly a game with an 83% metapoints and some 90s is going to be more polished and valued by owners on average than a game scoring 73% metapoints with some notably low review scores, and in this age of lots of games worth buying, reviews are going to be the deciding factor very often.

For comparison I can agree with GI's take on R3's MP going by the demo, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. What it does mean is, if the reviewer didn't find it fun, they'd start laying on the complaints about everything's that wrong and present a one-sided viewpoint. You then read other one-sided viewpoints from other reviews, and putting the all together, get a better overall picture and hopefully an idea of whether you'll like the game or not.

If you're playing DI, what do you think of Edge's complaints of the survival aspect, and respawning resources and zombies, etc.? Are they wrong, or do you find it just doesn't bother you?

If you're playing DI, what do you think of Edge's complaints of the survival aspect, and respawning resources and zombies, etc.? Are they wrong, or do you find it just doesn't bother you?

I'm playing it on 360

Well I can't really comment on how soon items re-spawn but I did notice when returning to "safe areas" the items in fact are there again. In my experience its only health and small amounts of cash.

The way the game flows I found no reason to "want" to try to exploit the item regeneration because after completing a mission your health is restored and the amount of cash that you find in those areas is not game-changing. Once you level your player to say 12+ the cost of repairing/upgrading/creating your weapon can be 100 on the low end to 300+ by level 20 or so, so the $6-$40 drops in the "safe-area" wont get you rich by any means.

edited for more info...
As far as aiming goes it can get frustrating, when using blade type weapons targeting the head/limbs can be a great advantage because you'll ofter sever those limbs but there isn't a clear-cut way to aim effectively. You do have a small reticule on screen but it isn't static, when you are within striking distance it kind of auto-aims from head/chest/arms but the problem is it floats between them and when you're being attacked in the later levels you don't have the luxury of sizing up your attacks. Now i can understand while in a zombie apocalypse one doesn't really have the option to to always aim for the head or limbs but the speed in which your weapon degrades and the exorbitant cost to repair them later in the game is the problem, if you don't deal critical hits you'll be bashing zombies maybe 8-10 times before they die.

I have plenty more to share if you all have any questions on other aspects of the game:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame. I was looking forward to this. I've just cancelled my pre-order and it looks like I'll just be playing R3 this weekend.

Wait a mo, you're cancelling your pre-order on the one and only bad review it's had? I'd much rather read what gamers have to say and the general rule of thumb is it's fun...a cross between Borderlands & Dead Rising 2...I'm not 100% sure but I had it pre-ordered as I love zombie games so am prepared to give it a try based on what I've read from people who play for fun.

Wait a mo, you're cancelling your pre-order on the one and only bad review it's had? I'd much rather read what gamers have to say and the general rule of thumb is it's fun...a cross between Borderlands & Dead Rising 2...I'm not 100% sure but I had it pre-ordered as I love zombie games so am prepared to give it a try based on what I've read from people who play for fun.

Not just that review. It didn't help though. I've been watching the glitch videos as well and after BOps I've had enough glitches!!

S'alright, I've been looking for an excuse to try out Chrome's translator. ;) (Yes, I'm playing with Chrome a bit...no I haven't given up on FireFox. :p )

Thanks for the link. :)

Lol, according to Chome's translator it's "Dead Iceland" (to be fair: technically that's correct if you assume Island is a German word)

So nobody is actually playing this game? I find it funny that reviews are just skewering the game, yet the actual anecdotal evidence from those playing it is that the game is fantastic. Supposedly the glitches have now been patched as well.

Reports are this game isn't even in stock in most places, and the publishers are scrambling to ship out more copies.

I haven't picked it up yet, and wasn't going to based on the reviews. But players actual comments are that the reviewers seem to have gone waaay overboard in their finding of fault with this game.

aye, it seems to be a blast to play...but TBH I'm not a great fan of the Fallout/Borderlands genre so will pick this up when the price has dropped (and all issues resolved) - hopefully I'll enjoy enough to be day 1 for the sequal! :)

So nobody is actually playing this game? I find it funny that reviews are just skewering the game, yet the actual anecdotal evidence from those playing it is that the game is fantastic.

90% of gamers will defend their purchases no matter how much it sucks, especially on the internet. Go to the Lair or Golden Axe: Beast Rider message boards on gamefaqs and they'll tell you how awesome the game is and that you should buy it. It's the same with every game too.

Back