CVG: Sony to rock GDC

Next Gen Socum U.S Navy Seals perhaps ?

Would be a waste IMO. Fans of fps games have seen what's available on 360 and many even claim that's the only thing worthwhile on the console.

Sony should focus on providing experiences different from what's readily available on their competition. Wipeout & R&C are unique and established and would serve their purpose better.

Not to mention 3rd party devs will be providing plenty of quality fps selection.

Would be a waste IMO. Fans of fps games have seen what's available on 360 and many even claim that's the only thing worthwhile on the console.

Sony should focus on providing experiences different from what's readily available on their competition. Wipeout & R&C are unique and established and would serve their purpose better.

Not to mention 3rd party devs will be providing plenty of quality fps selection.

Other then BF:MC on 360 i dont really see anything that could even be compared to Socum on PS3 if it was shown at GDC. I personally cant wait for it :)

So pulling the millions of Socom fans from the PS2 base to the PS3 would be a waste? One of the main reasons the PS3 is selling slow is because of the PS2, Sony needs to motivate it's base to making the next gen leap.

So pulling the millions of Socom fans from the PS2 base to the PS3 would be a waste? One of the main reasons the PS3 is selling slow is because of the PS2, Sony needs to motivate it's base to making the next gen leap.

Depends

How many Socom Fans are exclusively Playstation fans? How many are general fps fans that happened to have a Playstation2 last gen and have since been lured by xb360/pc?

If they're exlusive fans of playstation then they will wait anyway. If they are more open minded they may already have bought a xb360 or pc for the wealth of fps options they offer. If they're on the fence still then why? Most know that a new socom is coming eventually so ps3 would be a safe purchase for any diehard Socom fan now, unless they thought the system was a bit too pricey which won't change anytime soon.

Point is it will be rather difficult to impress with a title like this when impressive fps titles already exist en masse on xb360. Matching the quality of a Gears or a GRAW2 would do what for fence sitters?

Point is it will be rather difficult to impress with a title like this when impressive fps titles already exist en masse on xb360. Matching the quality of a Gears or a GRAW2 would do what for fence sitters?

Hmm.... I'd consider SOCOM a different animal than the average FPS. It's a pretty dry, tactical shooter. I personally can't stand it. But I'd have to say it's unique in the console realm.

Lowering the price first will be a better motivation for PS2 gamers to make the next-gen leap. Releasing franchises like socom right now would be a waste imo. I don't think the title would be big enough to push PS3 sales. It may, when the console itself is more affordable for the socom fanbase.

:oops: That's not a good argument imo.
Impressive fps like halo 2, Doom 3, hl2, chronicles of riddick, etc... didn't stop people from playing socom 2 did it?
The whole "focussing on providing experiences different from what MS is offering" is a bad idea because having shooters does matter, especially in the USA.
There is no reason why sony should be afraid of accepting the challenge and delivering more nice shooters like resistance. Did Gran turismo scare microsoft? Ofcourse not, they made Forza to counter it and gave race fans a reason to buy an xbox. Did Final fantasy scare them? They went to mistwalker to garantee some quality RPG's like blue dragon and lost oddyssey which made me (being a big RPG fan) buy an xbox360. Sony would be stupid to say "don't buy our console, buy an xbox360 if you want to play shooters". Give all those FPS fans who may or may not own an xbox360 a reason to buy a PS3 too.

Last edited by a moderator:

A million seller franchise is a waste? :rolleyes: SOCOM is one of the best 3rd person tactical shooters available.

Also, there is a difference between FPS and TPS, SOCOM being a TPS.

A million seller franchise is a waste? :rolleyes: SOCOM is one of the best 3rd person tactical shooters available.

Also, there is a difference between FPS and TPS, SOCOM being a TPS.

A waste in the sense of "hey look at what THIS console can do!". Obviously creating and selling Socom would nt be a waste but for this event I believe it would be little bang for bucks that could have gone a lot further elsewhere. Socom fans are likely to buy ps3 anyway. The argument that fps's on xbox didn't stop sony from making socom doesn't apply as ps2 was in a very different position by the time socom was made vs ps3's position now. They are trying to differentiate and establish the ps3 on it's own.

For all the critics that claim "all xb360 has is shooters" this title would do little to support their argument. Don't forget that 3rd party devs are also currently making PLENTY of impressive shooters for both systems. It is not and will not be a weakness of EITHER system.

Sony should use this time and money to show something that will draw the fence sitters to their side. This title is not one of them.

I fail to see your point chiefO...Socom has numerous fans and is considered an excellent game. Seeing a new iteration would make a lot of people happy ! By your logic, Sony should forget about fighting games, TPS, FPS, racing games, RPG...because they're represented on the Xbox ? :???:

Sony should use this time and money to show something that will draw the fence sitters to their side. This title is not one of them.
IMHO, the only thing stopping fence sitters from diving in head first is the price. Nothing else. If SONY dropped the price, it'll have a bigger impact than if they released SOCOM III on a USD$600 console.

That being said, SOCOM is a great game. One of the many franchises that SONY established last gen., and I can't wait to see what Zipper can do on the PS3. Maybe they'll have a tech demo at GDC (trying to stay on topic ;))!

I fail to see your point chiefO...Socom has numerous fans and is considered an excellent game. Seeing a new iteration would make a lot of people happy ! By your logic, Sony should forget about fighting games, TPS, FPS, racing games, RPG...because they're represented on the Xbox ? :???:

I don't see what's so hard to grasp about his point, he's simply saying Sony should maybe concentrate on differentiating PS3 from 360, and making a tactical shooter is somewhat fighting a losing battle.

Personally though, I don't see it as an issue at all, Sony has many developers in their studio and I'm sure all our working on their respective franchises. If you looks at the developer Zipper Interactive:
http://games.ign.com/objects/027/027141.html

They ARE Socom, so it wouldn't make much sense to have them start a new IP before creating a next gen version of their bread and butter.

I'm still considering attending GDC. Anyone been there before and can tell me what you have gotten out of it? Otherwise I plan on attending ChinaJoy 2007 and especially 2008 in China. It's an event much like E3, not quite as serious as GDC. Should be advantageous either way.

"So pulling the millions of Socom fans from the PS2 base to the PS3 would be a waste? One of the main reasons the PS3 is selling slow is because of the PS2, Sony needs to motivate it's base to making the next gen leap."

People go where the good games and good consoles are. PS2 is a classic hit for many reasons. I agree in principle they should motivate the audience if they want to push users to the PS3, but the problems need to be tweaked out and better games offered. Perhaps this is a start. I'd like to see RPGs appear myself and continue the historical crown that PS2 had in that genre. I've never actually owned a PS2 myself but played some RPGs on it. I definitely know that they have more than other consoles today and some pretty good ones. (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Baldur's Gate, etc...)

I don't see what's so hard to grasp about his point, he's simply saying Sony should maybe concentrate on differentiating PS3 from 360, and making a tactical shooter is somewhat fighting a losing battle.
I thought SOCOM was quite unique, and there's nothing like it on 360. The closest game I'll compare it to is maybe Battlefield. And yes, I believe SONY is already concentrating on differentiating the PS3 from 360 with their own in-house games, but like you pointed out, if Zipper sat down to make a game, it'll be SOCOM. Zipper *is* SOCOM.
Berek-Halfhand said:
I'm still considering attending GDC
GOOO! IMO, GDC became 'cool' last year. Although it's for dev's only, they still show/talk about things that light up any gamers day! I remember hunting the next for those elusive MotorStorm vid's, the Warhawk vids etc. Be our eye on the floor. Please...
10123744.jpg

Personally though, I don't see it as an issue at all, Sony has many developers in their studio and I'm sure all our working on their respective franchises. If you looks at the developer Zipper Interactive:
http://games.ign.com/objects/027/027141.html

They ARE Socom, so it wouldn't make much sense to have them start a new IP before creating a next gen version of their bread and butter.

The development of Socom doesnt have anything to do with "Sony should maybe concentrate on differentiating PS3 from 360, and making a tactical shooter is somewhat fighting a losing battle."

They dont interfere with each other

Plus, along that logic, Sony and MS should have never entered the market. SOCOM was one of the best online games in last-gen. As long as there is progress, it doesn't matter who was first.

The development of Socom doesnt have anything to do with "Sony should maybe concentrate on differentiating PS3 from 360, and making a tactical shooter is somewhat fighting a losing battle."

They dont interfere with each other

Seems like you only read the first sentence of my post...

I agree they don't interfere with eachother, like I said! But, I can see where ChefO is coming from, there's a valid argument that Sony should be choosing the types of games where they can say "You won't find games like this on 360", to highight their system this spring, and SOCOM isn't that.

It all depends what else they have up their sleeves, if we see some nice R&C footage, FF13 etc etc, then SOCOM will just be icing on a real nice cake, if it's meant as a primary showcase at GDC, it mgiht not have been the best choice for affecting media/consumer perceptions.

Seems like you only read the first sentence of my post...

I agree they don't interfere with eachother, like I said! But, I can see where ChefO is coming from, there's a valid argument that Sony should be choosing the types of games where they can say "You won't find games like this on 360", to highight their system this spring, and SOCOM isn't that.

It all depends what else they have up their sleeves, if we see some nice R&C footage, FF13 etc etc, then SOCOM will just be icing on a real nice cake, if it's meant as a primary showcase at GDC, it mgiht not have been the best choice for affecting media/consumer perceptions.
Then Microsoft should stop making Forza 2 :LOL: Really hopeless argument.

Didn't SOCOM have the most number of players online in a game for all consoles last generation? They could do the same and again, you wouldn't find it on the Xbox360. And it would be free.

Back