CVG: Sony to rock GDC

If you look at sales figures SOCOM has the right to join the anticipated titles and I have no idea why you think it's not proven.

How many people bought a ps2 FOR Socom? I'm not saying and have never said Socom is not a good game or that it would not sell well. Please read previous posts in this thread.

How many people bought a ps2 FOR Socom? I'm not saying and have never said Socom is not a good game or that it would not sell well. Please read previous posts in this thread.

Perhaps fans of the game on the PS2 might now that they playied and liked it :)

Perhaps fans of the game on the PS2 might now that they playied and liked it :)

Perhaps, but would they not have already been lured by the likes of GRAW or GRAW2 on a less expensive system with a more expansive library?;)

The SOCOM team would have to perform a miracle to provide "shock" with a new Socom4 on ps3 where any of the other titles could just show up and they already differentiate themselves from everything else on the market.

It's an icing title until they prove otherwise (ie: blow GRAW et al out of the water in some fashion)

So how many people bought PS2 for Naughty Dog's "Drake" game? Not very consistent if you ask me :p Also Rachet & Clank won't make a splash because it's basically unveiled at the GDC last year. You have to show something previously unseen.

Perhaps, but would they not have already been lured by the likes of GRAW or GRAW2 on a less expensive system with a more expansive library?;)

The SOCOM team would have to perform a miracle to provide "shock" with a new Socom4 on ps3 where any of the other titles could just show up and they already differentiate themselves from everything else on the market.

It's an icing title until they prove otherwise (ie: blow GRAW et al out of the water in some fashion)
The thing is that particular genre doesn't need to differentiate itself from others in the same genre to become a successful game because the demand is huge in the US. If what you claim was true and the developers followed it the library of the less expensive system with a more expansive library would have shrank 2/3.

So how many people bought PS2 for Naughty Dog's "Drake" game? Not very consistent if you ask me :p Also Rachet & Clank won't make a splash because it's basically unveiled at the GDC last year. You have to show something previously unseen.

Agreed - Socom will be the reason people get off their butts and buy ps3's in droves. It is the killer app they've been waiting for and will drive sales in EU.

/fan

Sorry I don't see it. Perhaps the devs will prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath. There is a wealth of realistic and quasi realistic shooters coming this gen to both systems and it will be very difficult for this title to stand out. Matter of fact I'll go out on a limb here and suggest Socom4 on ps3 will sell less than socom3 or 2 or 1, based on the strength of other similar titles available diluting the market.

Well, PS3 is getting both though. Besides SOCOM fans will be waiting for SOCOM even if alternative games exist

edit - another good one I'd love to see is a refresh of Motortoon GP2. While this may not be the best choice for this event I'd love to see what the team could do with ps3 hardware on that concept. I'm thinking ToyStory :D Take a break from gt already guys!

Motortoon was by Polyphony.

Their a bit busy at the moment for Motortoon. But you will get to see what they can do with the PS3!

Wipeout
Naughty Dog's "Drake" game
MGS4
R&C

Those are "cake" games, SOCOM is an "icing" game. *until proven otherwise*
I dont understand your argument. You're saying SOCOM shouldn't be highlighted as it's not original, cutting-edge. Then you point to games that have similar titles on other platforms. What makes one game icing and another cake?
Then you say
as though Sony should only show titles that have proven their appeal in attracting customers to PS2 - of which I'm not sure you could quantify, and of which SOCOM is a great seller so obviously has appeal. If you're going to limit yourself to showing titles that have been responsible for single-handedly selling units, you're going to have very few games to choose from. How many consoles have been bought for one single game only and no regard for the rest of the library?

So which should Sony show? Brand new, never before seen ideas which are unproven and may not get anywhere (like ICO, which was wildly received and sold poorly)? Or proven exclusives franchises that show all genres are being catered for? And which is icing and which is cake?

IGN asked Phil Harrison about the GDC rumours.

One of the things people have been wondering about recently, there's a lot of hype right now for the Xbox 360 and I would say moreso for the Halo3 multiplayer beta that's coming out this Spring, is there a specific plan from Sony to counteract that hype with an announcement or a demo that we might see in March or April?

No, I mean, I have a great deal of respect for Halo, I think it's a great piece of software, but it's one title, and I think that it's very dangerous to build an entire brand, personality or platform around a single title. At Playstation what we have done very successfully over the last 12 or 13 years is to create tremendously varied entertainment opportunities on our platform that cover a lot of different bases, a lot of different game styles, that as a result grow the market for a lot of different users. We've been very successful at doing that, we'll continue to that, and we would be very careless if we were to focus exclusively on one specific title.

And there's been some rumours flying around that at GDC at your keynote you might show off some gameplay footage of Killzone 2. Is there any truth to that?

There's a lot of rumours that fly around, do you believe everything you read on the internet?

I write it all, so yes.

Well, apart from your words of course which are very truthful, but no, I'm not going to comment on any rumours or speculation.

Well I guess in more general terms maybe, can you talk about what we can expect from your keynote at GDC? I mean, not necessarily specific announcements, but is it something major that will get people really excited?

What do you want me to say to that? 'No, it will be really boring'? No, I think we're going to do some things a little differently, we're going to do some things that will be very inspiring and important to the game development community. After all, it's Game Developers Conference, it is the people who are in the room that we're predominantly addressing our keynote to. But we're going to have some fun, doing it a slightly different way.

http://streamingmovies.ign.com/ps3/article/763/763881/philharrison_dice_020807_wmvlowwide.wmv

So take from that what you will!

Then you say as though Sony should only show titles that have proven their appeal in attracting customers to PS2 - of which I'm not sure you could quantify, and of which SOCOM is a great seller so obviously has appeal.

I think thats mostly because the PS2 didnt have alot of good tactical shooters, while there is loads of them coming to the nex-gen systems, (and not just watered down PC version crap like we got last gen).

IMO, SOCOM only sold because of the lack of competition. As far as tactical shooter goes, there are better options.

Hmm, I wonder what he means with "doing things a little different".
Maybe they will be a little more "snappy" in their presentations.

Take last year for example and the 10 minute long demo of the Motorstorm mud slinging tech demo. That was far too long despite how impressive it was. After the first couple of minutes all they had to say the same things over and over.

Motortoon was by Polyphony.

Their a bit busy at the moment for Motortoon. But you will get to see what they can do with the PS3!

I know - hence, "take a break form GT guys!" MTGT2 was a great import on ps2. Much better than the english version.

I dont understand your argument. You're saying SOCOM shouldn't be highlighted as it's not original, cutting-edge. Then you point to games that have similar titles on other platforms. What makes one game icing and another cake?
Then you say as though Sony should only show titles that have proven their appeal in attracting customers to PS2 - of which I'm not sure you could quantify, and of which SOCOM is a great seller so obviously has appeal. If you're going to limit yourself to showing titles that have been responsible for single-handedly selling units, you're going to have very few games to choose from. How many consoles have been bought for one single game only and no regard for the rest of the library?

So which should Sony show? Brand new, never before seen ideas which are unproven and may not get anywhere (like ICO, which was wildly received and sold poorly)? Or proven exclusives franchises that show all genres are being catered for? And which is icing and which is cake?

I think thats mostly because the PS2 didnt have alot of good tactical shooters, while there is loads of them coming to the nex-gen systems, (and not just watered down PC version crap like we got last gen).

IMO, SOCOM only sold because of the lack of competition. As far as tactical shooter goes, there are better options.

Agreed:
me said:
Sorry I don't see it. Perhaps the devs will prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath. There is a wealth of realistic and quasi realistic shooters coming this gen to both systems and it will be very difficult for this title to stand out. Matter of fact I'll go out on a limb here and suggest Socom4 on ps3 will sell less than socom3 or 2 or 1, based on the strength of other similar titles available diluting the market.

Maybe they will be a little more "snappy" in their presentations.

Perhaps they'll have Michael Buffer host the event. :oops:

Lets get ready for blaaast phyyyysiiiics!

Realtime Deformaaaatioooons!

Normaaaal Maaaapiiiing!

Phil *The Real Deal* Harrissoooon!

IGN asked Phil Harrison about the GDC rumours.

http://streamingmovies.ign.com/ps3/article/763/763881/philharrison_dice_020807_wmvlowwide.wmv

So take from that what you will!

And there's been some rumours flying around that at GDC at your keynote you might show off some gameplay footage of Killzone 2. Is there any truth to that?

There's a lot of rumours that fly around, do you believe everything you read on the internet?

i remember him saying that we might see a Killzone 2 Demo/whatever. He mentioned it like on purpose.

So Mr. Phil Hirai Killzone2 GDC demo Confirmed?

Edit:

Website's must be lying.

I would say online multiplayer was bigger factor in SOCOM's success and not just simply because its the only tactical shooter on PS2.

Back