Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fable and Hellblade were really disappointing because they didn’t show regular gameplay.

They had gameplay in there for Fable. It just wasn't long segments that you're used to.

At least it show something Avowed is UE 5 and the same for Immortals of Aveum and I find the two games ugly. It means art direction is still king, Hellblade 2 and Lord of Fallens are UE5 games looking good.

Xbox showcase was pretty interesting. Nothing particularly next gen looking but, it was good non the less. Hellblade 2 continues to get worse and worse with each showing. Don't know what it is about it but the downgrades are noticeable and evident. Forza looked very "gamey" and I think it has to do with the lighting. The cars also don't look like they fit cohesively in the environment while also simultaneously being with worst part of the games graphics. Finally, starfield looked vast but those character animations left a lot to be desired. The game also looked like it was struggling to maintain 30fps especially during combat. Either that or it was a really bad encoding of the video. All in all, still waiting for actual next-gen games to show up from a graphics/animation perspective.
ngl starfield's gi looks pretty basic. Both indoor & outdoor areas have plain indirect lighting. Indoor is slightly better because they add all those local lights to manually bring up the scene, but outdoors are just a mess.
In one scene you can even spot the cubemap update rate due to the high specular power of the table and it does look like the probe is following the camera instead of static in space. In some ways the gi is probably on a similar level as tears of the kingdom, which is a switch title... there is no way

ngl starfield's gi looks pretty basic. Both indoor & outdoor areas have plain indirect lighting. Indoor is slightly better because they add all those local lights to manually bring up the scene, but outdoors are just a mess.
In one scene you can even spot the cubemap update rate due to the high specular power of the table and it does look like the probe is following the camera instead of static in space. In some ways the gi is probably on a similar level as tears of the kingdom, which is a switch title... there is no way
Yea the lighting is nothing to write home about and neither are the graphics imo. It’s just that the scale seems huge. From a graphics perspective, it looks like a high resolution ps4 game.

Ok, confirmed Starfield will be running 4k at 30fps on XSX and 1440p 30fps on XSS
https://www.ign.com/articles/bethes...ormance-and-frame-rate-on-xbox-series-x-and-s
Thoroughly unsurprising. At no point during the lead up to this game did I believe that Bethesda was capable of delivering a technically competent 60fps game. It’s not their m.o.

In other news, it looks like rtgi will only be supported on pc for Forza which is supremely disappointing. The metro devs got rtgi running on the consoles at 1080p60fps and that made a bigger difference to graphics than 4k ever will. As an aside, I often wonder if devs are leaving tons of performance on the table due to the Xbox apis. Slowly but surely, the series x is becoming a “meme” console because I don’t know why it exists. Very little from Microsoft takes advantage of it and it appears that we’ve been bamboozled. I guess the Series S is the main console and the X is the pro console.

They had gameplay in there for Fable. It just wasn't long segments that you're used to.

And that's pretty close to what gameplay looks like. Had to congratulate the lead programmer today, spectacular job and a real showcase of being patient, thorough, and smart about things like heavy use of compute based variable rate shading over temporal upscaling tricks.

No amount of upscaling magic is going to overcome a fundamental need to hallucinate details that are wrong in some way, blurred or temporally lagged or just plain biased in one way or another. Going through with a fine toothed comb, making sure all your artists are concentrating on performance when authoring shaders so you can run it at high res, picking and choosing the resolution target of each pass individually and targeting areas of the screen that will stand out less or more. That's a far more effective strategy. Sure there's a sparkle of aliasing in the bloom here or there, a bit of blur in the translucency like the fire. But the overall effect is far more CG like than UE5 currently manages.

Thoroughly unsurprising. At no point during the lead up to this game did I believe that Bethesda was capable of delivering a technically competent 60fps game. It’s not their m.o.

They can, but they didn't choose that path. I'm pretty sure they can offer a 60fps option later after launch... something like a 1080/1440p/60fps option, or dynamic 4K/60fps with VRR support.

Slowly but surely, the series x is becoming a “meme” console because I don’t know why it exists. Very little from Microsoft takes advantage of it and it appears that we’ve been bamboozled. I guess the Series S is the main console and the X is the pro console.

Console gamers bitched about console pricing, so Microsoft delivered an affordable product in S. As such, those casual / price conscious gamers got exactly what they wanted. As for X, it's doing fine. It's the fanboys and their crushed dreams believing that teraflops was the only measurement on judging a systems capabilities. As such, PS5/XBSX aren't pounding each other in the ground as many had hoped.

Last edited:
They can, but they didn't choose that path. I'm pretty sure they can offer a 60fps option later after launch... something like a 1080/1440p/60fps option, or dynamic 4K/60fps with VRR support.

Console gamers bitched about console pricing, so Microsoft delivered an affordable product in S. As such, those casual / price conscious gamers got exactly what they wanted. As for the X, it's doing fine. It's the fanboys and their crushed dreams believing that teraflops was the only measurement of judging a systems capabilities. As such, PS5/XBSX aren't pounding each other in the ground as many had hoped.
i highly doubt it. it is probably cpu bound (especially streaming related tasks) given BGS' prior list of work

i highly doubt it. it is probably cpu bound (especially streaming related tasks) given BGS' prior list of work

Given Todd Howards comments, more than likely there will be a 60fps option later on (whenever that is) after launch. He also mentioned they did hit 60fps on X, but they felt it was more important to lock the framerate at 30fps, on giving a more consistent experience at launch.

Captured on a Series X sure, but was it running real time? I hope so, and Playground are pretty fantastic developers.

60fps video for the most part, and I think I noticed some tearing in parts, so it probably was real time. I thought it looked great. Humour was on point too.

I loved Fable 1 and 2 (still got the original disks), and the first two thirds of Fable 3 was pretty good (end game was terrible though). You have to feel sorry for Lionhead. MS made them follow 3 with a Kinect Game, then forced them - a highly experienced and talented team of single player action RPG developers - to do a ... live service multiplayer arena game. People left, things fell behind, MS mismanaged things and then killed the company. Early Xbox One era MS was a mess.

Having to put together a team again, and develop a vision of what they want to do and what they can do and how to do it, has probably added a year or two onto development of the game.

Captured on a Series X sure, but was it running real time? I hope so, and Playground are pretty fantastic developers.

60fps video for the most part, and I think I noticed some tearing in parts, so it probably was real time. I thought it looked great. Humour was on point too.

I loved Fable 1 and 2 (still got the original disks), and the first two thirds of Fable 3 was pretty good (end game was terrible though). You have to feel sorry for Lionhead. MS made them follow 3 with a Kinect Game, then forced them - a highly experienced and talented team of single player action RPG developers - to do a ... live service multiplayer arena game. People left, things fell behind, MS mismanaged things and then killed the company. Early Xbox One era MS was a mess.

Having to put together a team again, and develop a vision of what they want to do and what they can do and how to do it, has probably added a year or two onto development of the game.
Do you mean if it was running in real-time as they were showing the video during the Showcase? The developer is saying it was captured on the Series X. Am not sure how else you'd want him to say it.

Do you mean if it was running in real-time as they were showing the video during the Showcase? The developer is saying it was captured on the Series X. Am not sure how else you'd want him to say it.

I think Function means real time during runtime, and not simply captured footage with enhanced after elements.

Remember the controversy surrounding Uncharted 4: A Thief's End announcement, and the actual final product?

You can run at higher settings and lower frame rates, capture it directly from the system, then play back at "normal" frame rates.

"Capturing" from a system does not preclude, for example, playing back at a different speed or pacing to how something was output by a system.

I am not saying they did this, and I think it's a 1:1 recording / playback. And I think this is probably what the developer is trying to convey. But "captured on" or "rendered on" can hide all kinds of shenanigans.

This is realtime, but I think Xbox need to improve for this. In game footage capture on Series X next time for example.

You can run at higher settings and lower frame rates, capture it directly from the system, then play back at "normal" frame rates.

"Capturing" from a system does not preclude, for example, playing back at a different speed or pacing to how something was output by a system.

I am not saying they did this, and I think it's a 1:1 recording / playback. And I think this is probably what the developer is trying to convey. But "captured on" or "rendered on" can hide all kinds of shenanigans.

Yes but at least this the asset they use for the game maybe the final version will look not as good on consoles but a 4090 or a 5090 will be able to render it like the initial trailer.

On the Uncharted 4 case the assets were not in the final trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back