Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BRiT OK, the issue is that an hour is unacceptably long on a handheld device with a tiny cpu. What are the "easy bare minimum fixes" you all expect the developers should implement to reduce shader compilation by ~75% or whatever you think is acceptable?

@BRiT OK, the issue is that an hour is unacceptably long on a handheld device with a tiny cpu. What are the "easy bare minimum fixes" you all expect the developers should implement to reduce shader compilation by ~75% or whatever you think is acceptable?
Yea it there are limits to everything.

Techpowerup put it around ~3x at native 4k.
Can you provide the link to the performance summary you are using and point out the GPU you are using as the PS5 representative because I arrived at a different number.

This is the most recent GPU review

relative-performance-3840-2160.png

Using the 3060 or the 5700xt we have a 4090 at 3.75x.

Results are in, the 4090 achieves 83 fps at 4K (4.6X the 3060 which achieves just 18fps).

4090: 83
4080: 62
7900XTX: 55
4070Ti: 46
6900XT: 38
3080Ti: 37
2080Ti: 25

Not too bad to be honest (PS5 achieves 35fps at 4K native probably using less than PC's Ultra settings).

Game is hungry for memory though, easily using 13GB of VRAM at 4K and 10GB at 1080p. It also has the VRAM bug where the game ignores a portion of the VRAM, the 3070 only uses 7.2GB of it's 8GB. The game also uses 17GB of RAM if your GPU is 10GB or more, if it's below 10GB, then RAM usage goes up to 25GB! As the game uses more RAM in place of the VRAM!!

Last edited:
Results are in, the 4090 achieves 83 fps at 4K (4.6X the 3060 which achieves just 18fps).

4090: 83
4080: 62
7900XTX: 55
4070Ti: 46
6900XT: 38
3080Ti: 37
2080Ti: 25

Not too bad to be honest (PS5 achieves 35fps at 4K native probably using less than PC's Ultra settings).

Game is hungry for memory though, easily using 13GB of VRAM at 4K and 10GB at 1080p. It also has the VRAM bug where the game ignores a portion of the VRAM, the 3070 only uses 7.2GB of it's 8GB. The game also uses 17GB of RAM if your GPU is 10GB or more, if it's below 10GB, then RAM usage goes up to 25GB! As the game uses more RAM in place of the VRAM!!

Going from Ultra to High seemingly improves performance by around 25%. Assuming the PS5 uses the High preset, it would be 12% faster than a 2080 Ti which is horrible when the 2080 Ti is generally 40-50% faster. A GPU as strong as the 4090 should be running this at 4K/100fps+ unless the Ultra preset is incredibly taxing compared to the settings the PS5 uses.

I hope this puts into perspective how a multiplatform game will have a lot more performance compromises in terms of optimization over optimizing for a single platform.
It’s become the norm now that DX12 is the standard unfortunately. PC optimization in most titles has tanked.

Wasn't the case for Returnal.
If you want to play tlou with exclusively returnal's rendering feature set I'm sure they could have made that, but it would have looked nothing like the ps5 version.

It’s become the norm now that DX12 is the standard unfortunately. PC optimization in most titles has tanked.

This stuff is getting so old. This is not at all how it works. The games getting ported are more technically complex.

If you want to play tlou with exclusively returnal's rendering feature set I'm sure they could have made that, but it would have looked nothing like the ps5 version.

What does this even mean? What advanced rendering feature set is TLOU:RM employing over Returnal?

This stuff is getting so old. This is not at all how it works. The games getting ported are more technically complex.

The narrative of "DX12 = bad optimization" in titles the past year has been driven - not solely, but primarily - by developers not dealing with shader compilation until runtime. That is absolutely a platform optimization issue, hell it's one of the most basic 'issues' of a platform with hardware abstraction. Again, it's not the only problem with DX12 titles, but it's the major one. If all DX12 games shipped with methods to precompile shaders from the outset, the PC port landscape would look decidedly different at this point.

In this particular case, thankfully it's not the main problem (albeit we'll see if that Oodle dll replacement is actually beneficial in terms of at least precompile time). I'm not convinced the large disparity we're seeing right now can be largely left at the feet of focused optimization magic though. Of course it plays a part, but when you're seeing a card like the 7900XTX not being able to even double the PS5's performance, I think other factors - such as a rushed port to take advantage of the TV series - may also be to blame.

I mean really, look at that link above. Yes, it's Ultra settings, but it's getting into the 70's in the opening area, at the same 1440p res as the PS5 (and it's not CPU limited, check the GPU usage). The PS5 has an unlocked mode for TLOU:RM which as I understand it, is still 1440p, just unlocked. There are some rare scenes that it can dip below 60fps, but in many action scenes with it unlocked, it can actually hit 70-90 fps too. So taken into account the ~25% perf hit Ultra mode has over High, and the performance disparity between the 7900XT and XTX, this means that a 7900XT running on high...may end up being slightly faster than the PS5, if that. That's just nuts.

We'll see what they can do with patches in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
You made the claim that multiplatform games are heavily compromised, implying that exclusives are much harder to run on an equivalent PC. I’m saying that it isn’t the case with Returnal. It runs incredibly well on a modest PC, unlike TLOU Part 1.

What is so complex about this title that a 3080 barely outperforms a PS5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back