Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How fast is UHD DLSS performance compared to native 1440p?

Currently, 2.5.1 DLSS is said to be the best. You can simply exchange the DLL.

The game uses an older version. However, I have not tested all versions after 2.5.1.

Loads faster.

Native 1440p at max settings (and max RT) is 35-45fps where as 4k DLSS performance mode is a locked 60fps with a fair amount of headroom.

The headroom will decrease in urban areas. Ray tracing becomes more expensive with higher resolution. Probably DLSS quality is about as fast as 1440p. DLSS balanced should be something like 1200p.

In my opinion DLSS performance looks better than FSR 2.0 quality.

I think DLSS works very well in this game but with high contrast wide street lanterns it has some problems in the city. Scenarios like this are challenging for DLSS.

Some settings do not need to be set to the maximum. For example, for raster shadows or reflections. Raster shadows should not be completely deactivated, however. Because some light sources do not produce ray tracing shadows but they do have raster shadows.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure where to put this and this thread seemed like a good place.

My 1440p monitor can can accept a native 4k input and automatically downsampled it to 1440p, this means if I want downsampling I don't have to mess around with DRS or any other trickery as every modern games has 4k showing as an option in the menu.

So I've been playing with CP2077 and it's DLSS modes and found that:

1. Native 1440p looks loads better than DLSS balanced (Balanced is often recommended for 1440p)

2. Balanced mode misses loads of fine detail compared to native 1440p but does provide a more stable image.

3. Setting the games output resolution to 4k with DLSS performance mode produces an infinitely better image than both native 1440p and 1440p DLSS balanced mode.

With option 3 the game is going from 1080p to 4k via DLSS and then the monitor downsampling back to 1440p and it looks awesome.

This attached shots show what I'm seeing and the barb wire shows the difference between perfectly.

I'm going to try some more games and see what the results are.

I'm sure you can do a similar thing if you use CRU to add a 4k option and use the GPU scaling option in the control panel.

Been playing around with other games doing this and using 4k DLSS Performance mode downsampled to 1440p gives a much better image.

Watch Dogs Legion sees a reduction in far distance shimmering using this method and appears sharper than 1440p DLSS quality mode.

I'm not sure if it's just because DLSS is being fed more pixel data (4k DLSS performance mode renders at 1080p where as 1440p quality mode is 960p) or if it's the downsampling, or both?

I also wonder what the image would be like if you could feed DLSS quality mode a 1080p image rather than a 960p one.

We need a DLSS Ultra quality mode.

Been playing around with other games doing this and using 4k DLSS Performance mode downsampled to 1440p gives a much better image.

Watch Dogs Legion sees a reduction in far distance shimmering using this method and appears sharper than 1440p DLSS quality mode.

I'm not sure if it's just because DLSS is being fed more pixel data (4k DLSS performance mode renders at 1080p where as 1440p quality mode is 960p) or if it's the downsampling, or both?

I also wonder what the image would be like if you could feed DLSS quality mode a 1080p image rather than a 960p one.

We need a DLSS Ultra quality mode.

You can customize each mode with any ratio you choose with this tool. It might not work with all games though.

"Lol at anyone who still believes the recommended system requirements"

1680033087454.png

(Early reports are that a 3070 can't maintain 60fps at 1080p. 8GB vram is not enough for textures beyond medium. Iron Galaxy worked on the port)

Last edited:
"Lol at anyone who still believes the recommended system requirements"

View attachment 8528

(Early reports are that a 3070 can't maintain 60fps at 1080p. 8GB vram is not enough for textures beyond medium. Iron Galaxy worked on the port)
What is worse is Medium textures look noticably worse to a point PS4 version somewhat looks better. High textures aren't very good either, looks very horrible. Only ultra textures represent what the game is like on PS5.

Medium textures however... Ugh. This will be first game that I may deem unplayable on my 3070 if I can't play with high textures as a minimum.

What is worse is Medium textures look noticably worse to a point PS4 version somewhat looks better. High textures aren't very good either, looks very horrible. Only ultra textures represent what the game is like on PS5.

Medium textures however... Ugh. This will be first game that I may deem unplayable on my 3070 if I can't play with high textures as a minimum.

The basic gist I'm getting from reading reports so far is it's basically Arkham Knight/Gotham Knights quality, like "should be pulled from shelves in the meantime" quality. Yikes.

This is Sony's tentpole franchise. Not Horizon, not even Spiderman. The Last of Us. Regardless what you think of Iron Galaxy even, this is an absolutely failure of management to release it in this state. I get the reasoning, they want to release it near the series to maximize interest, but christ what a horrible first impression this is going to make for prospective future PC players.

The performance is perfect on my 4070ti at 1440p and the options menu is AMAZING!!!

It also pre-compiles shaders which you can choose to start the gane while they compile as you play (I chose to wait for them to bedone on main menu before starting the game)

I've seen people complain about performance and when asked they started the game before shaders compiled.

The performance is perfect on my 4070ti at 1440p and the options menu is AMAZING!!!

It also pre-compiles shaders which you can choose to start the gane while they compile as you play (I chose to wait for them to bedone on main menu before starting the game)

I've seen people complain about performance and when asked they started the game before shaders compiled.
What framerate are you getting? Native 1440p or DLSS?

What does 'perfect' mean in this instance - 60fps or 120?

Options are great, sure - but only if they actually have scalability. If they don't, they're just lines of text. I don't get jazzed about having granularity of settings if they don't actually translate into meaningful performance/image quality improvements, everything I've read so far is they have minimal impact on this actually scaling down to people who own cards under $900.

That's very different than Uncharted though, which while it also had a lengthy shader compilation screen, that supposed inconvenience was largely mitigated by the fact if you wanted to skip it and jump into the game, they also didn't cause the game to stutter either way. This apparently is not the case with TLOU, and without top-end CPU's, the compiling process is taking upwards of 30mins->1 hour.

Yes, better than the worst case scenario, but this is bare minimum stuff.

Last I checked my GPU wasn't at 99% load 🤦‍♂️

If the PS5's performance is locked at 60 (which it is), its load is probably not 99% most of the time either. So what is your typical GPU load then? AS @techuse said, unless you're GPU usage is hovering around 50% or Ultra settings contain some massively more demanding visual improvements over whatever the PS5 is running, that is most definitely not impressive for a 4070ti.

If the PS5's performance is locked at 60 (which it is), its load is probably not 99% most of the time either. So what is your typical GPU load then?

You're right, I'm at 99% load on my $900.

Please, continue with your negativity and assumptions with someone else, I have a game to play.

You're right, I'm at 99% load on my $900.

Please, continue with your negativity and assumptions with someone else, I have a game to play.

lol what a bizarre response. You're coming into a technical games analysis thread and acting offended when people are asking you to actually provide some detail on the impressions that you volunteered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back