Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

I felt this one. I mean not like forum stuff. But at work. I managed a team that was the only team that was able to hit target for that business u it that year. I was given the worst performance rating I’ve ever seen in my career there. When i told my director this, as he was giving my review, he told me that it was HOW I achieved my goals that was the problem.

Never heard such bullshit in my life. It’s basically finding any reason to give you a low score because of X.

Gotta get those style points.

People complain because most of the title are cross gen. They will complain less from 2023/2024.

I’ve been playing PS3/PS4 cross-gen games recently and they aren’t much worse than early PS4 exclusives. Is the jump from PS4->PS5 greater than PS3->PS4?

New Stalker screenshots:

Fm15TsEXkAoZNlx

Fm15UgwXkAA_7zL

Fm15VU2XEAEDDco

Yup, looks incredible and like a true next generation game (Author's note: Next gen means current gen)

I felt this one. I mean not like forum stuff. But at work. I managed a team that was the only team that was able to hit target for that business u it that year. I was given the worst performance rating I’ve ever seen in my career there. When i told my director this, as he was giving my review, he told me that it was HOW I achieved my goals that was the problem.

My organisation shifted to a WHAT (deliverables/achievements) and HOW (behaviours) approach a few years back.

The goal is to balance teams and individual's ability to deliver but acknowledge that there are good and bad ways to accomplish tasks. It's an interesting culture shift but it only works if management buy into it. When it's implemented well, it does work. When it's implemented badly, it creates problems.

Yup, looks incredible and like a true next generation game (Author's note: Next gen means current gen)

I hope this scratches my Fallout itch, as Fallout 5 isn't even on Bethesda's roadmap. :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortnite looks bad, Tekken 8 its abvious as its fighting game (unfortunelty also look bad), Silent Hill 2 could image this game in 30 so nice they have 60fps mode. Generaly not saying there wont be any 60 fps games but defenitly not in same quantity as we have in crossgen time.

Epic take the extra step to push 60 fps on UE 5 because they said tons of game will run at this framerate or will have a performance mode at 60 fps. Maybe it will run at sub 1080p. if a game is not CPU limited you always have the possibility to run it at 60 fps even if it is 720p or 480p 60 fps or more realistically 900p 60 fps like the Forspoken demo.

Last edited:
if a game is not CPU limited you always have the possibility to run it at 60 fps even if it is 720p or 480p 60 fps or more realitiscally 900p 60 fps like the Forspoken demo.
Yeah, no thx, anything under 1440p looks realy bad on my lg cx ;d

I’ve been playing PS3/PS4 cross-gen games recently and they aren’t much worse than early PS4 exclusives. Is the jump from PS4->PS5 greater than PS3->PS4?
Depending on the game, PS3 games looked really bad compared to what PS4 was able to put out, due to rise of physically based rendering games like killzone used to great effect. And technologies like photogrammetry later on in the gen.

Comparing killzone to call of duty ghosts, two fps that came out at launch is literally a generation apart. It took until the next year with advanced warfare for call of duty to show it's next gen evolution. But it was still possible at 60fps. Even with a cpu that wasn't really stronger than the previous gen.

If someone wants to explain the difference between PS3 and PS4 it's fully in how PBR was utilized for most games.

For the current gen technologies like these are fully mature, so software optimized raytraced lighting like lumen and revamped geometry system like nanite is the next step.

One may not like the art style of fortnight, but it's technically doing things other games of the same type can't dream about achieving on last gen.

And with bigger adoption of ue5 we will see even more games of this type I think

Xbox Series X good quality screenshot of Fortnite, I want all future game at 60 fps to look as "bad" as Fortnite on consoles and PC. Forspoken looks bad, here it looks good. It is just a matter of taste.
I surely dont want future games looks like this ;d I mean yeah on this selected screens looks nice but I showed my friend that plays Fortnite on ps4 (tough more his kids) ps5 version on ue5 and he laughed as couldnt see any difference. I had to play df comparison video and then he saw in ligthing but still said its not a looker. But can agree that Forspoken looks also bad.

Xbox Series X good quality screenshot of Fortnite, I want all future game at 60 fps to look as "bad" as Fortnite on consoles and PC. Forspoken looks bad, here it looks good. It is just a matter of taste.

RLuAEK.png

RLu25c.png

RLuRGC.png

PC screenshot
52581930483_6bd32a96ba_o.png

52581848680_bbca4f76d0_o.png

It's a beautiful game IMO. I just fired it up again following the recent update adding DLSS in and holy bejeezus the images quality is spectacular. TSR is this game already looks excellent but DLSS takes it even further. The art style works so well with upscaling.

I surely dont want future games looks like this ;d I mean yeah on this selected screens looks nice but I showed my friend that plays Fortnite on ps4 (tough more his kids) ps5 version on ue5 and he laughed as couldnt see any difference.

Should have gone to Specsavers.

I surely dont want future games looks like this ;d I mean yeah on this selected screens looks nice but I showed my friend that plays Fortnite on ps4 (tough more his kids) ps5 version on ue5 and he laughed as couldnt see any difference. I had to play df comparison video and then he saw in ligthing but still said its not a looker. But can agree that Forspoken looks also bad.
If we are going by anecdotal evidence, I've seen way more casuals just looking around online who are impressed with the new visuals than I have seen say there is no difference. Infact I haven't even heard anyone say it looks the same until this moment

Some cross gen and current gen games are looking much better than old gen games but the technology is mostly the same than old gen.

The progress will be more visible when engine will use Realtime GI, strand hair technology, Nanite type technology or mesh/primitive shader combined with asset quality improvement like in The Callisto Protocol, Plague Tale Requiem, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, TLOU Part 1, Horizon Forbidden West, Demon Soul's Remake, Returnal.

High quality screenshot of TLOU Part 1 and Plague Tale Requiem on Xbox Series X. Some people will tell you it looks better than Fortnite but this is just a matter of taste and from a technological point of the view this is not true.

TLOU Part 1
ROe4Cv.png

R7YBJF.png

RLJulm.png

Plague Tale Requiem
1672928651-04-01-2023-09-40-17-c4ymrzhz-resultat.jpg

My favorite stuff with Fortnite due to the artstyle Lumen is THE highlight.

Please just stop with this nonsense. You don’t like it we got it, there is no need to trigger everyone by saying it looks bad.

The kudos needs to be given where kudos belong.

Please just stop with this nonsense. You don’t like it we got it, there is no need to trigger everyone by saying it looks bad.

The kudos needs to be given where kudos belong.
no reason to dig up post from saturday also on ended discusion with purpose to end discussion ;)

My organisation shifted to a WHAT (deliverables/achievements) and HOW (behaviours) approach a few years back.

The goal is to balance teams and individual's ability to deliver but acknowledge that there are good and bad ways to accomplish tasks. It's an interesting culture shift but it only works if management buy into it. When it's implemented well, it does work. When it's implemented badly, it creates problems.

I hope this scratches my Fallout itch, as Fallout 5 isn't even on Bethesda's roadmap. :no:

By all appearances something even better is though, it seems among the thousand projects they suddenly seem to be doing Obsidian is doing another Fallout which has already been in preproduction for a while now!

As New Vegas > Fallout 3/4 I'm perfectly happy with this.

Weirdly, Hitman 3's latest FG3 patch broke the game in terms of VRAM usage, and now experiences huge frame drops on 8-10 GB cards.

I hope it gets a fix soon. New games I understand, but games getting borked retroactively in terms of VRAM usage, now that's rich.

Back