Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Sure, just semantics. Whatever we name the behaviour, we have to take every comment from every source with a suitably critical eye. Understanding biases/preferences of a personality can better help us interpret their comments and stave off premature conclusions based on limited sources.

Sure, just semantics. Whatever we name the behaviour, we have to take every comment from every source with a suitably critical eye. Understanding biases/preferences of a personality can better help us interpret their comments and stave off premature conclusions based on limited sources.
Preference and bias are not the same thing; one is benign and other is not. I wholly agree on the rest. Senior executives in any company, even when they are purporting to be speaking as an individual, e.g. a gamer, remain a PR mouthpiece for the strategy and goals of that company. It's shocking how many gamers fawn over Phil Spencer and Jim Ryan because they are the bosses of plastic gaming boxes. Objectively and critical thinking are in short supply in the gaming community.

You might be technically right about the distinction between 'preference' and 'bias' but I don't think it's applied as such in general speech, people just using the word 'bias'. Preference is long-winded and no-one really cares about the distinction. Some dictionaries just define 'bias' as a tendency to prefer something or someone. On this board and in genreal public discourse, I think that's the usually applied definition.

You might be technically right about the distinction between 'preference' and 'bias' but I don't think it's applied as such in general speech, people just using the word 'bias'. Preference is long-winded and no-one really cares about the distinction. Some dictionaries just define 'bias' as a tendency to prefer something or someone. On this board and in genreal public discourse, I think that's the usually applied definition.
Bias is mostly used as judgement. Preference is used as an acceptance of someone's choices.
I say lets form opinions about someone's actions and not our assumptions.

On this board and in genreal public discourse, I think that's the usually applied definition.
Come on, man. Are you really proposing the standard of language used on these forums should be from the most inaccurate dictionary people can find? :-? I wrote a quick PHP script to look for online dictionaries that included a definition of bias that also didn't include the words 'unfair' or 'prejudiced' and found zero.

I didn't mean to link the rise of UE5 with the end of cross gen. Merely that cross gen will start to fade away naturally and UE5 games will start to ramp up over a similar period. And on next gen consoles the high end UE5 games will probably take much greater advantage of DX12U features which are fully supported by the engine.
But doesn't only Xbox correspond with dx? PlayStation 5 has all the features as well not under the direct x branding?

Last edited:
DX12U does not seem to have much relevance for UE5. We have to see whether or not Mesh Shading for Nanite makes a big difference (if the r.nanite.meshshadingraster command in UE5 is indeed working correctly, then there's close to zero difference in performance)

Sampler Feedback and VRS are not supported either.

The command from Epic that DX12U is the gold standard of graphics were a blatant lie. They did not announce anything in regards to DX12U and they keep ignoring it.

As for the arguments over ue5 and ssd, I do remember digital foundry playing with the ue5 tech demos and there were clear limitations shown when hdd was installed altho the demo did run.

It's not surprising such tech would atleast need a baseline SSD to perform in the most optimal condition like how ue4 was sold with that PS4 tech demo and it's high end features altho they said 7th gen and mobile phones could also technically run it at the time

But doesn't only Xbox correspond with dx? PlayStation 5 has all the features as well not under the direct x branding?

No PS5 doesn't have mesh shader, VRS, SFS and int4/int8 ML improvement but they have an equivalent of Mesh shader with primitive shader, flexible scale rasterization for VR like VRS, ID Buffer but they have no feature equivalent to INT4/INT8 ML improvement of DX12U.

ALL the features?
I was asking if..PlayStation sdk has the features of directx. Since people were saying the uptick of dx12 will happen with console adoption, but doesn't only one console ecosystem support dx12? So how could it be standardized across consoles?

No PS5 doesn't have mesh shader, VRS, SFS and int4/int8 ML improvement but they have an equivalent of Mesh shader with primitive shader, flexible scale rasterization for VR like VRS, ID Buffer but they have no feature equivalent to INT4/INT8 ML improvement of DX12U.
Ok, so they have equivalents of certain dx12 features but not all. Got it

Sorry 😂 as you could probably guess im no technical wizard, just following you folks lead and watch DF cause technology seems interesting

Has that actually ever been confirmed though? PS5 is after all, the only next gen console with ML in an actual released game (Spiderman) with ML inference run on the GPU.

Back