Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Everyone here knows this, the ARC thread is basically a DXVK instructional guide now. Nobody is debating that API wrappers exist, people are asking what is the basis to even speculate on such a thing for a major shipping product for a console with a well established development environment. Pointing to the Linux distributions is wholly irrelevant, they have to use a wrapper because the majority of developers are not targetting Linux natively.

Of course Sony has higher and lower tier API's like everyone, but that's a far cry from actually implying a developer is using a wrapper for another API as as such, is having to recompile shaders in real time for a fixed platform.
Well, if you stopped coming at with such mis-placed confidence/arrogance you would know why, PS54 OS is based on BSD, which is a derivative of Unix/Linux and PS5 OS will likely be the same.

So, if you look at that from a holistic view and not through a PoV of a Platform or defensive warrior, you will see the dots that I do not need to connect.....hopefully!

Well, if you stopped coming at with such mis-placed confidence/arrogance you would know why, PS54 OS is based on BSD, which is a derivative of Unix/Linux and PS5 OS will likely be the same.

So, if you look at that from a holistic view and not through a PoV of a Platform or defensive warrior, you will see the dots that I do not need to connect.....hopefully!

The irony!

I don't think personal attacks like this are appropriate. Nxgamer could be a valuable contributor here but if we just keep the personal attacks, he won't bother posting here anymore. He has extensive knowledge, good coverage, a youtube channel, and works for IGN. His contributions could be valuable so let's try to treat him like we treat everyone else and not like some kind of enemy.

I'm not backseat modding here but those kinds of answers are what drive people away from here.
We shouldn’t resort to attacking him directly as an absolute rule. His arguments sure but his person and civility should count for something on these forums

I will be honest. In the beginning, Uncharted was silky smooth.. but as the game progressed there are areas which cause some issues. The worst being in a couple of set pieces I've literally had the game stop mid-gameplay and bring up the loading screen... and then resume a couple seconds later....

That's not cool.. and I don't understand why loading is an issue on PC like that. 99% of the time, the game is smooth and silky... but having those issues happen takes you out of the moment completely. And there are still some hitching here and there when traversing from one area to the next. They're definitely loading stutters though, not shader comp stutter.

So I hope they can fix that.

The engine only uses one core as well.

Now that you mention it, yeah the lighting does look a bit flat :D
The lighting and environment detail in the Amsterdam level is pretty much photoreal - not seen anything close to that in any other game.

The character models, skin shaders and animations are junk. The mouth interiors are decent and the eyeballs occasionally pretty good...

But it's the environment that's shockingly good looking and why it's garnered so much attention.

I will be honest. In the beginning, Uncharted was silky smooth.. but as the game progressed there are areas which cause some issues. The worst being in a couple of set pieces I've literally had the game stop mid-gameplay and bring up the loading screen... and then resume a couple seconds later....

That's not cool.. and I don't understand why loading is an issue on PC like that. 99% of the time, the game is smooth and silky... but having those issues happen takes you out of the moment completely. And there are still some hitching here and there when traversing from one area to the next. They're definitely loading stutters though, not shader comp stutter.

So I hope they can fix that.

The engine only uses one core as well.
Maybe this is what they meant when they mentioned roadblocks to ensure slower PCs can keep up? It doesn't make sense considering its a PS4 game though.

Maybe this is what they meant when they mentioned roadblocks to ensure slower PCs can keep up? It doesn't make sense considering its a PS4 game though.
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that? Was it some interview?

I ran a GPU trace on UC4 and it seems to be very compute heavy but also lack async compute support. I was slightly surprised by that as I've always thought it was active in the PS4 version. Not that it's any magic bullet but it might have shaved off a few milliseconds here and there.

1666997300295.png

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that? Was it some interview?

I ran a GPU trace on UC4 and it seems to be very compute heavy but also lack async compute support. I was slightly surprised by that as I've always thought it was active in the PS4 version. Not that it's any magic bullet but it might have shaved off a few milliseconds here and there.

View attachment 7397

About halfway down the page.

“We also needed to account for the variability of PC hardware as it pertains to data loading, and so we reworked our engine to add a “safety valve” of sorts to ensure a smooth gameplay experience across various PC specs. This isn’t something we’ve had to worry about since the Jak and Daxter days, when we added an animation of Jak stumbling if data was loading in too slowly.”

I'm just embarrassed on your behalf for this. Good lord.

The PS5 acts similarly to Proton on the Steam Deck, which translates Direct3D into Vulkan...because its OS is also based on BSD, which is a derivative of Linux?! Are you fucking kidding me.

Look, we all want civility here, and sure some responses to Michael have been over the line. But it's also difficult to take someone seriously who makes posts like this.

Last edited:
I'm just embarrassed on your behalf for this. Good lord.

The PS5 acts similarly to Proton on the Steam Deck, which translates Direct3D into Vulkan...because its OS is also based on BSD, which is a derivative of Linux?! Are you fucking kidding me.

Look, we all want civility here, and sure some responses to Michael have been over the line. But it's also difficult to take someone seriously who makes posts like this.
Your reply is empty, you said nothing, Explain your point?

And explain what comprises the functions of Proton, if you think it is all DXVK you are incorrect and also elaborate on why the OS layer does not matter?

Reactions: snc
Back