Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Would that be with a logic analyzer or oscilloscope? Or is there something similar to wireshark (dumpcap) that could be used?
Using a HDMI analyser. These vary is capability and extensibility, but Wireshark for HDMI is pretty accurate. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

nx gamer claims Digital Foundry copied him in doing tech videos back in 2015 or 16 and that Rich wanted to replace John or someone else from that time with him. Video is timestamped at his answer

It’s good that never happened. John is the better fit for everything playstation for sure.

A very bold claim from nxgamer without any evidence whatsoever. He’s not gaining traction on yt but thats not DF’s fault, its his own. Its not about hardcore bias with these kind of channels, he can certainly learn from DF though, not vice versa.

Last edited:

nx gamer claims Digital Foundry copied him in doing tech videos back in 2015 or 16 and that Rich wanted to replace John or someone else from that time with him. Video is timestamped at his answer
How did they copy him if the DF channel existed and was doing framerate and feature comparison videos since 2008 while NX games started in 2013. Sure, DF videos were originally made to accompany a written article, and they still do, but now most of the article is included in the video read by staff. So is NXGamer talking about that? Videos where instead of just showing some video with some graphs you have a person talk about what you are showing? The first video NXGamer did where he talked was the 360 launch games video uploaded November 23, 2013. The first video where a DF staff member spoke that I can remember is the Running PS4 through Xbox's HDMI Input video posted 3 days earlier.

Having someone essentially read the article during a video presentation is the natural evolution of this type of work.

And they wanted to copy him and steal his techniques in 2016? In 2015 DF released a video detailing how they measure framerates and detect tearing using custom tools. And 2015 was the year Rise of the Tomb Raider was released. How many videos did DF do on RotTR where they were providing commentary for the video?

How did they copy him if the DF channel existed and was doing framerate and feature comparison videos since 2008 while NX games started in 2013. Sure, DF videos were originally made to accompany a written article, and they still do, but now most of the article is included in the video read by staff. So is NXGamer talking about that?

It's kind of interesting to go back and see the early DF videos and there are so many! I zipped through a bunch and almost all of them are just few minutes. Between 2008 and late 2011 it is just raw capture footage, mostly from 360 and PS3 games. For years there was no 'framegraph' either.

I think the first use of an in-video 'framegraph' that I could spot - by just eyeballing it - was 25 November 2011, DF's visualisation of what a glorious juddery mess Skyrim was on PS3 and 360.

The video which seemed to signal Richard buying a microphone was 21 October 2014. I'm not saying that there was no spoken commentary on previous video but YouTube does voice-to-text transcription on video content and it's reporting none for videos before that. It's worth noting that not all subsequent videos released after that video included commentary either.

It's risky to fully trust the YouTube's APIs flagging a transcript as present as a definite indicator of commentary because it's often picking up speech from the game but I did a smatter of random dips into 2015 DF videos and I'd say the vast majority lacked commentary as well. I didn't plough into 2016 because I don't care that much but somebody else can do that if they want to know when DF switched to the stand-alone video analysis model they do today. Or maybe one of the guys can remember and tell us.

It does seem kind of nuts hat it took DF so long just to provide commentary on videos. And as somebody said, I think most of the commentary is very close to the copy included the Eurogamer articles. Word for word sometimes.

So if NXGamer is talking about producing full commentated analysis, it looks like he was doing that consistently before DF began doing that. Here is his video of 17 May 2014 on WATCHDOGS. Other videos and videogame analysts are available.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL. Even if true, who cares?

Back in those days if you had a popular website you could do what DF did. Video was being used to complement DF articles and YT was just an easy way to upload and share DF videos. However, as YT became a dominant platform and watching video became more prominent than reading an article, DF did what a lot of content providers did, it retooled its content delivery to accommodate that reality.

More than likely, DF would have moved in this direction without the existence of NXG. The motivation was the shifting landscape not some particular youtuber.

If NGX had eschewed YT and built his popularity by sending VHS tapes of his videos to subscribers, I doubt we would all be warming up our VCRs waiting for the next DF video to hit our mailboxes.

Last edited:
LOL. Even if true, who cares? Back in those days if you had a popular website you could do what DF did. Video was being used to complement DF articles and YT was just an easy way to upload and share DF videos.

Some people here seem to care. :yep2:

I wonder if part of the reason why it tool DF took so long to transition to self-contained analysis videos with commentary (which were the norm back then), was because Eurogamer wanted written articles so they could get ad-clicks on their website. A video has just ad-views, an article with accompanying video has page ad-serves and video ad-views. Ker-ching!

I wonder if part of the reason why it tool DF took so long to transition to self-contained analysis videos with commentary (which were the norm back then), was because Eurogamer wanted written articles so they could get ad-clicks on their website. A video has just ad-views, an article with accompanying video has page ad-serves and video ad-views. Ker-ching!

Care? Why? How many will stop watching DF videos because they now believed DF copied their delivery from NGX?

Probably so. If you have done all this work building up a website and become established, you are not going to suddenly pivot and focus on another content delivery method. Established and major players in a market are sometimes the slowest to adopt innovations. If you've built a winning formula, you are going to be hesitant to major changes of that formula.

For others who aren't established, its easy to be early and ride the wave. DF was more likely attracted to the wave not the rider.

Last edited:
Care? Why? How many will stop watching DF videos because they now believed DF copied their delivery from NGX?
I mean there are people posting about it here. If nobody cared it would have passed without comment.

I don't think when you're the market leader in a small field where you are just a few people, particularly the technology field, you cannot be slow to adapt to better ways to deliver your product. But again, sometimes when you look at why a company operate in what seems to be a weird way, you need to look at the money situation because that often sheds light.

Editing videos to the quality DF do now is a time consuming process, and that's in addition to the need to play the games and capture the footage and then do the analysis. But just tweaking your article copy and reading it over your video really wouldn't have been a massive undertaking. But that would have got DF some video views where the person did not visit Eurogamer to read the article. I think it's probably as simple as this.

So if NXGamer is talking about producing full commentated analysis, it looks like he was doing that consistently before DF began doing that. Here is his video of 17 May 2014 on WATCHDOGS. Other videos and videogame analysts are available.
The thing is, the video I linked to about running PS4 though Xbox One's HDMI input shows they were doing commentary before that. In fact 3 days before the first NXG video with commentary. And.... The DF one was in stereo! That's twice the output!

In all seriousness, we are talking about evolutions to a style of video that were happening at the same time. It's the obvious next step for this style of content. And in this time period, 2013-2016, we saw plenty of channels starting to do comparison videos. A lot of channels that did lets play or longplay videos with commentary transitioned to comparison videos. ElAnalistaDeBits, GameRiot, RookerVision are 3 examples, and comparison only channels like VGDecide started during this period as well. They might not have all had the most technical breakdowns, sure. But that period had a trend of content shifting towards the "what's the best version of" game content.

How did they copy him if the DF channel existed and was doing framerate and feature comparison videos since 2008 while NX games started in 2013. Sure, DF videos were originally made to accompany a written article, and they still do, but now most of the article is included in the video read by staff. So is NXGamer talking about that? Videos where instead of just showing some video with some graphs you have a person talk about what you are showing? The first video NXGamer did where he talked was the 360 launch games video uploaded November 23, 2013. The first video where a DF staff member spoke that I can remember is the Running PS4 through Xbox's HDMI Input video posted 3 days earlier.

Having someone essentially read the article during a video presentation is the natural evolution of this type of work.

And they wanted to copy him and steal his techniques in 2016? In 2015 DF released a video detailing how they measure framerates and detect tearing using custom tools. And 2015 was the year Rise of the Tomb Raider was released. How many videos did DF do on RotTR where they were providing commentary for the video?

I mean is anyone at all surprised anymore that NXGamer doesn't always know what he's talking about and sometimes just sorta just makes things up so that he can claim he's in the right? :p

Regards,
SB

Considering that, IMO, embedded video in a full article is the superior way to present material like this I'd say that it was more about not wanting to do purely video commentary and that they only reluctantly went that direction due to people becoming less literate. I want to say I'm being sarcastic here, but people's reading comprehension seems to be increasingly taking a nose dive in the past decade. Their listening ability isn't much better, but I guess listening is easier than reading for them. :p Although just listening is also more prone to people misinterpreting what's being said, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Apparently the world revolves around HW-Unboxed channel and Raytracing is therefore not important anymore.

RT is dead.

:mrgreen:

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from that? It shows that RT implementations in games are improving but that most people are still rather "meh" (for a variety of reasons) about current RT implementations in games.

It says absolutely nothing about whether people are or are not looking forward to good RT implementations (whether in terms of quality or performance or both) in games and by association hardware.

I'd vote "underwhelming" if I took part in that poll, however, I'm also a proponent of RT and I'm really looking forward to a day when both the RT implementations in games really impresses me and the hardware capable of running the vast majority of RT enabled games at an acceptable performance level for me actually exists and doesn't cost over 1k USD.

Regards,
SB

Back