Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

If I got this right, with Calisto they probably went the 3rd route and didnt have time to optimise/implement it for X, so now we are waiting for the patch that contains said optimisation?
Nah, smaller studio wouldnt go this route + its ue4 engine.

If I got this right, with Calisto they probably went the 3rd route and didnt have time to optimise/implement it for X, so now we are waiting for the patch that contains said optimisation?
In addition the what SNC said already, option 3 wouldn't share any development time with PC RT effects which the game does indeed have. While options 1 or 2 would share with the PC implementation.

Nah, smaller studio wouldnt go this route + its ue4 engine.
I don't think those guys classify as a "smaller studio". Apparently, Sony lent them 150 engineers to help them and the marketing department tried to sell this as an "AAAA" game and the budget was seemingly enormous. I'm not sure how many people work at Striking Distance Studios but I'd be shocked if it was less than Asobo which has over 250 employees. At worst, they're on the higher end of mid-sized studios.

I don't think those guys classify as a "smaller studio". Apparently, Sony lent them 150 engineers to help them and the marketing department tried to sell this as an "AAAA" game and the budget was seemingly enormous. I'm not sure how many people work at Striking Distance Studios but I'd be shocked if it was less than Asobo which has over 250 employees. At worst, they're on the higher end of mid-sized studios.
as Chris posted earlier, 150 people from art studio, not engine engineers, yeah for current standard its not big studio

as Chris posted earlier, 150 people from art studio, not engine engineers, yeah for current standard its not big studio
Yeah, 150 staff from Sony's Visual Arts Service Group and Malaysian team, not 150 engineers which would be a bit ridiculous. Still, I don't think they qualify as a smaller studio. It just seems like the PS5 version took precedence and when it was ready, they shipped out the game despite the Xbox version not being quite there yet and the PC version still needing some serious work.

And you're also probably correct that the 3rd option is very unlikely which makes it even more puzzling as to why RT reflections are missing on SX.

Probably time. The positive sign is that they seem to patch game rather quickly and communication with community is good. Performance on XSX is getting better. It is "only" missing reflections as of now, perhaps this will be added soon (fingers crossed).

Yeah, 150 staff from Sony's Visual Arts Service Group and Malaysian team, not 150 engineers which would be a bit ridiculous. Still, I don't think they qualify as a smaller studio. It just seems like the PS5 version took precedence and when it was ready, they shipped out the game despite the Xbox version not being quite there yet and the PC version still needing some serious work.

And you're also probably correct that the 3rd option is very unlikely which makes it even more puzzling as to why RT reflections are missing on SX.
Low level has less porting potential. More resources required. The larger the gap between GNM and DXR in this regard could require a whole entire rewrite.

The XSX API is the same than PC DXR 1.1. There is only two possibility this is a bug or they don't optimize the XSX version enough and they decided to cut the feature until they have made enough work on XSX. Because PS5 run better than XSX without RT reflection, there is a huge problem on XSX version.

PS5 API is different but if it works on PC this easy to port the code on XSX.
Not with the latest patch according to NXGamer. Performance is now similar and XSX runs actually in higher resolution in the quality mode (because RT reflections are missing).

Not with the latest patch according to NXGamer. Performance is now similar and XSX runs actually in higher resolution in the quality mode (because RT reflections are missing).

It was the second possibility not enough optimization on XSX. I hope the PC version will improve asap too.

Now this review is from the unpatched version... but I implore people to just check it out. This is how the game released. Someone signed off on this.

(possible spoiler warnings)

Just look at that performance.

This is why "fixing later" is simply not acceptable. It's the absolute GALL... or NEGLIGENCE.. of these studios to release something like this in the first place does not ever deserve to be rewarded..

This game should not have ever released in that state. Period.

And this just makes UE look completely terrible. I honestly can't for the life of me understand how by this point, Epic isn't contacting everyone making UE games and walking them through this process.

This gentlemen claims it is not a bug, error or a mistake that could be corrected. Instead, they think PS5 has special sauce API that allows those reflections. :) "No, a bug would be a coding issue/omission that needs to be resolved, this is not. This is having to adapt/change code for the hardware (see Xbox and PC i.e DX12)"

Apparently, Callisto Protocol should be a ps5-first designed game and making use of its own special sauce API. Not my words!

Clearly lost in translation for you and for some other posters.

Clearly lost in translation for you and for some other posters.
It’s borderline cherry picking from one perspective. In another thought, the reality is all games on UE4 ship with GNM, DX12 and DX12X. That’s already present. There’s no porting required, at least by the literal definition. Porting means you’ve fully coded it for 1 platform and API. Finished it and started on the other platforms after converting your code to work there.
Wiki def:
In software engineering, porting is the process of adapting software for the purpose of achieving some form of execution in a computing environment that is different from the one that a given program (meant for such execution) was originally designed for (e.g., different CPU, operating system, or third party library).
They released at the same time. It’s a multi platform title.
It’s just a pure lack of optimization time. If it was a feature planned (and we see it on one platform but not another) omissions are declared as bugs, not a porting problem. There’s nothing to port, you're building the game from the get go, you just write what you need for that particular platform. They wrote some basic shit. They were paid marketing dollars for PS5 And didn’t have enough time to build out Series consoles so they didn’t.

The RT patch won’t be for months.

Last edited:
It’s borderline cherry picking from one perspective. In another thought, the reality is all games on UE4 ship with GNM, DX12 and DX12X. That’s already present. There’s no porting required.

It’s just a pure lack of optimization time. If it was a feature planned (and we see it on one platform but not another) omissions are declared as bugs, not a porting problem. There’s nothing to port, you're building the game from the get go, you just write what you need for that particular platform. They wrote some basic shit. They were paid marketing dollars for PS5 And didn’t have enough time to build out Series consoles so they didn’t.

The RT patch won’t be for months.

Yup, for the Callisto Protocol it's all about time modified by budget modified by any marketing deals and nothing even remotely to do with hardware capabilities of various platforms with similar specifications (specifically PS5 and XBS-X).

Regards,
SB

Yup, for the Callisto Protocol it's all about time modified by budget modified by any marketing deals and nothing even remotely to do with hardware capabilities of various platforms with similar specifications (specifically PS5 and XBS-X).

Regards,
SB
Sony edit: can possibly strong arm them. When shit goes bad, Sony pulls your game. See Cyberpunk 2077. Sony doesn’t like processing refunds and would rather stop sell. (Also why I think COD argument is BS. They literally stop sold the biggest game of that year)

MS and steam and the rest kept selling and refunding. Basically they get away with delivering bad shit on PC and Xbox but not on Sony. Combined with having the marketing deal and the extra help, the PS5 version was the only one that was given attention here in the final optimization phase.

But they still had to ship as they likely have no more budget. Sell it solid for Sony. Make some profits from release and go back and fix the other two later now that you can pay your team again.

Last edited:
Sony likely strong armed them. When shit goes bad, Sony pulls your game. See Cyberpunk 2077. Sony doesn’t like processing refunds and would rather stop sell.

MS and steam and the rest kept selling and refunding. Basically they get away with delivering bad shit on PC and Xbox but not on Sony.

While I agree with the general message, strongarm might be too strong of a word. MS and Steam are certainly more user friendly with respect to refunds versus stoppage of sales. They'd rather allow the user the freedom to determine if the game is in good enough condition to play or not. Sony doesn't like giving refunds so would rather stop sales which both reduces their revenue as well as removing the game from people who would still enjoy a game bugs and all.

So, while developers may have to work around that, I wouldn't necessarily call it strong-arming on Sony's part. It's more like Sony just don't want to build the back end infrastructure to handle something like that automatically like MS and Steam have done. And that shouldn't come as a surprise considering how reluctant they are/were to making a backend system that could handle using saves among differing versions of the same game. :p Which again is something that developers have to work around that they don't have to do on MS and Valve's system.

I'd more likely associate it with corporate laziness than malice (strongarm).

Regards,
SB

Once again, certain people think PS5 has special sauce that enables PS5 to have better "ray tracing" than Xbox. Lol. :!:

Competition on most incorrigible and cynical and you are by far the winner. All any knows is that PS has RT reflection, Xbox don't. No need for self shame in mentioning "secret sauce" claims. Just as they are similar, they are also different. We do not know why unless developer tells us. Nothing of contribution given with your post. Try to provide more benefit next time please. Don't fall into PC persona stereotype.

While I agree with the general message, strongarm might be too strong of a word. MS and Steam are certainly more user friendly with respect to refunds versus stoppage of sales. They'd rather allow the user the freedom to determine if the game is in good enough condition to play or not. Sony doesn't like giving refunds so would rather stop sales which both reduces their revenue as well as removing the game from people who would still enjoy a game bugs and all.

So, while developers may have to work around that, I wouldn't necessarily call it strong-arming on Sony's part. It's more like Sony just don't want to build the back end infrastructure to handle something like that automatically like MS and Steam have done. And that shouldn't come as a surprise considering how reluctant they are/were to making a backend system that could handle using saves among differing versions of the same game. :p Which again is something that developers have to work around that they don't have to do on MS and Valve's system.

I'd more likely associate it with corporate laziness than malice (strongarm).

Regards,
SB
Yea too strong. But the precedent has been set. Possible GOTY candidates, and best of e3 stop sold. So anyone else lesser can be easily stop sold.

Competition on most incorrigible and cynical and you are by far the winner. All any knows is that PS has RT reflection, Xbox don't. No need for self shame in mentioning "secret sauce" claims. Just as they are similar, they are also different. We do not know why unless developer tells us. Nothing of contribution given with your post. Try to provide more benefit next time please. Don't fall into PC persona stereotype.
I'm not falling into any type of persona, I'm a person who greatly appreciates how developers like ND and Santa Monica extracted great, consistent performance out of a PS4 with gorgeous visuals. I'm just criticising the people who fall into the "PS5 is super special" personas with a humorous tone. I'm one of the people who is highly vocal about how games keep stutter, how NVIDIA spams low VRAM cards, you can all see them on my past posts. That's not a sig of a PC persona stereotype. If it is, I don't know what to tell you.

I don't need a dev to tell my anything. Especially considering how they released a stutter fest game on PC and semi-fixed in in 24 HOURS. I wouldn't trust the devs of Callisto Protocol even if they say water is wet at this point. They knowingly released a broken product that could had a fix in mere hours, same most likely applies to Xbox. So claiming there needs to be "shift in code, adapt the code", I simply don't think so. There are potential people that would see the reason of game's stutters as the lack of hardware decompression if the game wasn't released on 8th gen. This is the type of mentality I'm really starting to get sick, naturally, I just joke with it, because at this point it is what it is, a joke material, since it is a huge joke itself.

but why does it bother you that some would think PS5 has some super saiyan secret sauce ?
In the end it's available to everyone that games always look better on PC, and that often XsX has a slight edge in perf of resolution.
Facts do the correction, then if they don't wanna see it, just don't bother, just like we don't bother about PC fanboys who shit on absolutely everything console related in a console section of a forum, or flat earthers !
Let them have their "shinning" moment with that missing RT on XsX, until it's fixed. or better, put them on ignore.

Back