Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can already see huge efficiencies and changes for RT within the already available games on consoles.

The 1080p to CB4k (or temporal accumulation) reflections in R&C is such a enormous change in perceptible quality and so early into the generation. I can only imagine other efficiencies by the mid-late gen will be equally as dramatic again.

On a nintendo switch screen, it would look quite good!
The small screen is more or less an auto-DLSS for your brain ;)
We wouldn't "need" such high resolutions, if we didn't have 55"/65"/75" screens in our living rooms.

@snc yes, I know the res-dips are rare. I have written it more provocative on purpose .. the smiley behind it should have been the hint for that ;)
The Series X rarely dips to 1080p, the PS5 rarely to below 1080p, the XSX rarely below 600p,...
Also the Series X rarely dips to 50fps.

I really don't know why it dips so. We seen such behavior in many games. Must have to do something with the APIs where one seems to be more efficient than another because the specs are quite clear and most dips do not even happen if there is to much going on in the games. It also is not always a scaling issue. But just maybe developers must first learn from those issues to adopt their dynamic detail/resolution mechanism. But most dips we've seen in games so far do just not make any sense (e.g. Control or the old Need for speed). But maybe it is just DirectX12 which might have some problems and might be to sensitive in some cases.

It's not though =p
the consoles don't have all the bells and whistles here wrt RT.

What they need is an even better upscaler.

still too much compromises needed

Yes they have much weaker hw RT performance, but with creativity some things can be done, like reflections (rift apart) or solutions like Metro.

Its early in the generation for every modern (RT) hardware, improvements will be across the board.

Native resolution is not representative in terms of IQ for 60fps games with temporal upsampling and AA.

I'm playing the game on my S, and I would say the experience is very comparable to native 1080p60 games on my PS4.

I have to admit that while I like a lot of the changes the upgrade provides. I don't see all the changes as positive. Scenes seem overly bright and diminish the mood or atmosphere that the older versions create.

There is a reason why lighting is a very important aspect of filmmaking. I hope games don't just offer scenes that are physically correct from a lighting standpoint, just for the sake of being physically correct. I hope they will still be willing to stage lighting in a way that sets the visual mood and atmosphere.

Maybe later than planned, but I had a chance to dig even deeper into Ratchet Clank rift apart, ratchet 60fps and 30fps with all those stunning Ray Traced effects but it is much, much more than that.

I am able to show more of the game now to highlight why it is so impressive and really blurs the line between CGI movies and games

maybe he just played to much demon souls r and ratchet lately ;) I played only few minutes in exodus (have plan to finish it later) and it feels litle like aa game (4a games is not biggest studio)
Indeed, (4a games is not biggest studio), it's not. This is the biggest difference in studio budget. RT lets you close the lighting gap. But models and textures etc, still cost money.

Reactions: snc
RT in DOOM is super cheap and looks pretty good, they also render particles in RT reflections on PC from what I've seen.

dlss_rt_offh2jmw.jpg

dlss_rt_oneok71.jpg

1.6ms extra cost at 4K with DLSS (1440p internal) on my 3080 in this scene. Good showing from id (once again :p).

Last edited:
RT in DOOM is super cheap and looks pretty good, they also render particles in RT reflections on PC from what I've seen.

dlss_rt_offh2jmw.jpg

dlss_rt_oneok71.jpg

1.6ms extra cost at 4K with DLSS (1440p internal) on my 3080 in this scene. Good showing from id (once again :p).

Very impressive still.

They use async compute to hide the cost of building the BVH, that's one of the reasons why it's so cheap. This capture is at native 4K on the 3080 (no DLSS)

doom_rtksjqf.png

From several frame captures I see the cost of RT is usually in the 1.5 - 2.5 ms range at native 4K which is pretty impressive.

Last edited:
They use async compute to hide the cost of building the BVH, that's one of the reasons why it's so cheap. This capture is at native 4K on the 3080 (no DLSS)

doom_rtksjqf.png

From several frame captures I see the cost of RT is usually in the 1.5 - 2.5 ms range at native 4K which is pretty impressive.

That is impressive. But am I the only one who don't think Doom is an especially good looking game? It has it's own style, yes, but it lacks the attention to detail (IHMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back