Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea that's fine. I'm not saying it can't just be a labour problem. Just looking back at heavier CPU titles here:

The trend for me looking back.
a) AC Valhalla 60fps, 1440p
b) Control 1440p at 60fps, and the dips are GPU related (hmm)
c) Hitman 1800p ?
- does avengers belong here-?

CPU Lite Titles
Dirt 5 120fps 1440p
4Kish 60fps for CODs (1440p-1200p @ 120fps)
etc

I'm just wondering if this is a particular pattern that will develop with more titles. Not to say that these can't be GPU limited, but GPU limited on PS5 means a variety of things, because the cap on GPU changes depending on the load put on the CPU. It's hard (impossible) for us to separate if the CPU is drawing power back (or not smart shifting power over to GPU).

The only way we'd even get a clue, is if the delta between 30 and 60fps mode is significantly larger than the delta of 30 and 60fps mode for XSX.
if I remembere correctly valhalla drops to lower resolution on xsx, and after patches similar in dirt 5 (in cod ps5 also has slight advantage in 120fps mode)

if I remembere correctly valhalla drops to lower resolution on xsx, and after patches similar in dirt 5 (in cod ps5 also has slight advantage in 120fps mode)
Yea, but those are GPU related issues on XSX. And frankly, probably those particular titles aren't going to be amazing picks for the system considering the state of tools for launch.

Just looking at PS5 versus itself, PS5 should often have the advantage when increasing the frame rate while reducing the resolution. Except if the CPU draw is significant, then we don't know.

He is comparing ps5 to ps5.

That being said outside of Avengers I didn't see such a huge gap in resolution between 30 and 60 fps mode in other games on the ps5 in the most taxing scenes.

Last edited:
for me, I just want to see if we can identify an actual title that is exhibiting this behaviour. As we can see, typically the PS5 is unaffected by this (looking at the population as a whole), it seems like control, hitman and avengers, possibly ACV are the only ones that could have enough CPU load at high enough frame rates to cause the GPU to spool downwards. I just want to know if we can identify a title/setting and confirm it is exhibiting the behaviour.

understandably, we may have to wait for cross gen to die off first. I don't know.

for me, I just want to see if we can identify an actual title that is exhibiting this behaviour. As we can see, typically the PS5 is unaffected by this (looking at the population as a whole), it seems like control, hitman and avengers, possibly ACV are the only ones that could have enough CPU load at high enough frame rates to cause the GPU to spool downwards. I just want to know if we can identify a title/setting and confirm it is exhibiting the behaviour.

understandably, we may have to wait for cross gen to die off first. I don't know.
I am not sure what kind of theory you are trying to prove, but you should know that control (in photo mode) and Hitman (gameplay) are highly gpu limited on PS5 and don't tax the CPU at all.

For the photo mode of Control we know this from the guy who has actually debugged that mode on his devkit, he is the one who did the Bloodborne 60fps patch, and Hitman 3 actually runs at solid 60fps on Pro (1080p60fps mode) and 60fps on base PS4 (PSVR version).

Yeah, already talked about in one of the threads here, mostly the thought was the devs used one package to cover Series S, Series X, and PC instead of using packaging to it's fullest.

On PC devs probably dont even compress it all that much since storage isnt a main issue there. Otherwise XSS/XSX versions most likely would be the same size as PS5.

I am not sure what kind of theory you are trying to prove, but you should know that control (in photo mode) and Hitman (gameplay) are highly gpu limited on PS5 and don't tax the CPU at all.

For the photo mode of Control we know this from the guy who has actually debugged that mode on his devkit, he is the one who did the Bloodborne 60fps patch, and Hitman 3 actually runs at solid 60fps on Pro (1080p60fps mode) and 60fps on base PS4 (PSVR version).
curiosity really.
It's like seeing a dam with a overflow reservoir that never gets used. I know one day it will be used, like when a tsunami comes.
While I don't care about the performance, but I'm just interested in seeing the behaviour in action.

I'm not sure that control photo mode works. It will GPU limit well before the CPU increases the load to anything substantial to bring down the GPU clock.

On PC devs probably dont even compress it all that much since storage isnt a main issue there. Otherwise XSS/XSX versions most likely would be the same size as PS5.
Stuff is compressed all the time on PC. Partly because of install size, but also because transfer speeds are not guaranteed. If your CPU can decompress assets at least as fast as your IO speed then you get a net positive experience.

Stuff is compressed all the time on PC. Partly because of install size, but also because transfer speeds are not guaranteed. If your CPU can decompress assets at least as fast as your IO speed then you get a net positive experience.

When the game launched on the PC in September it was at 110 GB storage suggested system specs, for their optional 30+ GB HiRes texture pack. The minimum spec was 75 GB. They're likely not using BCPack for texture compression for Xbox Series, and are using the same base packages for all 3 systems (X|S and PC).

PS5 in High Resolution mode and Xbox Series X in High Resolution mode both render at a resolution of 3840x2160. PS5 in Normal mode, Xbox Series X in Normal mode and Xbox Series S in High Resolution mode all render at a resolution of 2560x1440.
ps5 xsx:
Mean Frame Rate 59.89fps 59.9fps
Median Frame Rate 60fps 60fps
Maximum Frame Rate 60fps 60fps
Minimum Frame Rate 49fps 50fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate 60fps 60fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate 57fps 57fps

I think it's fair to say that unlike on Pro using any kind of CBR on PS5 is clearly not the best way to do it. It seems to perform damn well using native (with or without DRS) resolutions.

Reactions: snc
The rare drops during the cutscenes show a virtually identical performance using the same settings.

Yakuza games has always gone for the same res / fps cap setup between Xbox one and PS4. Pro and 1X.

It's one of the worst franchises in comparing console performance, as it doesn't give much to compare at all.

Unlocked framerate mode would have been awesome.

Yakuza games has always gone for the same res / fps cap setup between Xbox one and PS4. Pro and 1X.

It's one of the worst franchises in comparing console performance, as it doesn't give much to compare at all.

Unlocked framerate mode would have been awesome.
not according to this analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back