Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If consumers care about 10% less space due to larger file sizes, then Sony's in big trouble for having a 23% smaller drive to begin with.

In reality, almost no one cares.
In Crash 4 that 10% difference is caused by difference of packaging methods. Traditionally PS4 games are a bit smaller than Xbox games because of this. Things will be very similar with the 10% additionnal compression given by Kraken (PS5) vs Zlib (Xbox).

But most importantly I think there will still be games on Xbox hamstrung by their PC roots. In Control only the PS5 (25GB) got the true next-gen packaging as it must be easier to make only one package for both PC and Xbox Series S-X (42GB).

So eventually PS5 could actually be able to store more games than Xbox Series X.

Skyrim using the FPS boost on XSX. Using a previous video of a same scene done by DF we can see the game performs about the same as with the 60fps mod (dropping in the low 50s in the same scene).

interesting, which they got that a bit more stable there for XSX. It's 4K but not quite 60. But that's enough for me to get started I guess.

interesting, which they got that a bit more stable there for XSX. It's 4K but not quite 60. But that's enough for me to get started I guess.
You'll get a more stable 60fps on PS5 (also at native 2160p) using the 60fps mod. ;)

bKmJV7o.png

You'll get a more stable 60fps on PS5 (also at native 2160p) using the 60fps mod. ;)

bKmJV7o.png
$$$
=P

no thanks, I'll wait until it's resolved then lol. I don't intend to pay more for software I don't need to.
Does seem like an alpha issue for XSX here however.

In Crash 4 that 10% difference is caused by difference of packaging methods. Traditionally PS4 games are a bit smaller than Xbox games because of this. Things will be very similar with the 10% additionnal compression given by Kraken (PS5) vs Zlib (Xbox).

But most importantly I think there will still be games on Xbox hamstrung by their PC roots. In Control only the PS5 (25GB) got the true next-gen packaging as it must be easier to make only one package for both PC and Xbox Series S-X (42GB).

So eventually PS5 could actually be able to store more games than Xbox Series X.

I doubt it. Especially with 20% less space.

I doubt it. Especially with 20% less space.
The last Xbox game being limited by the PC version: Avengers is 107GB on XSX and 76GB on PS5. Remember, PC games must run on old HDDs so they need duplication of data for those games otherwise the loading times would be disastrous there.

The devs could have provided a different packed set for Series S and Series X than the PCs, but they did not.
The question is, why aren't they using the packaging type that uses the least amount of SSD space.

It seems to be made up for by PS OS requiring 2X the install size of the game to unpack it. IE, 50 GB game requires minimum 100GB of free space to install it, not 50GB, even if it ends up only using 50GB. When you are dealing with game sizes sometimes over 200GB now and PS5 starting with ~600+GB this can be issue.

- In 4K / 30FPS mode they all experience some small drops in resolution, although they keep the target set most of the time, especially Series X. - In FPS mode, for the first few minutes of the game, the PS5 resolution varies between 3840x2160 and 2560x1440p, but as soon as we get to the Quinjet and start missions with more open and loaded spaces, the usual resolution becomes dynamic 1920x2160p, while on X Series it stays at dynamic 3840x1836p. In this case, there is a clear advantage in the Xbox version. - In FPS mode, Series X maintains a higher draw distance. - Slightly better loading times on PS5. - The framerate is quite stable in both modes, slightly better on PS5.
suprisingly big resolution difference in performance mode

sort of a survey question here: but which way you think next gen is going to continue? Down 60fps path? Offering both options? Or eventually settling back to 30fps?
Seems to be a trend now to always offer a performance mode it seems.

sort of a survey question here: but which way you think next gen is going to continue? Down 60fps path? Offering both options? Or eventually settling back to 30fps?
where is 120fps 4k rt mode in this survey? :d

Raises hand for 1440p at 60hz, in order for a nice increase in graphics settings and persistent high framerate.

Although I'll choose 120hz every time providing it's not lower than 1080p.

I'm dynamic resolution fun, so always would chose dynamic res with 60 instead of 4k30 or 1440p60 checkerboarded

At those resolutions 30fps has no place on those next-gen games. 120fps is the new 60fps. And with decent Zen 2 CPU and DRS there is no technical excuses anymore with 30fps stuff.

At those resolutions 30fps has no place on those next-gen games. 120fps is the new 60fps. And with decent Zen 2 CPU and DRS there is no technical excuses anymore with 30fps stuff.
I guess there was a part of me thinking they would integrate more /higher end effects with a 30fps mode and lower resolution. But it may be too early in the generation to do that.

I would still want to see what is naughty dog capable to do with ps5 targetting dynamic res 30fps without rt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back