Crysis full game

No point arguing about graphics cards..

As for the game, I don't do benchmarks or use a framerate counter while I play, I just play the game and to me its playable. For all I know it would be averaging 20FPS and that might still be playable to me.. It doesn't matter :)

Does anyone know how to enable very high in the full game?

Teasy, as noted, Crysis works in "Very High" only with DX10 GPUs. You could run most "Very High" features on XP/DX9 with some small hacks, but still need a DX10 GPU.

Not in shaders, not by a long shot... Something is still odd, 8800GTs struggle in this game at all high even at that resolution....

Doesn't look like 8800GTs struggle at 1280x1024 in Crysis to me (with new drivers), so at 1024x768 -- a whopping 60% less pixels -- I wouldn't be surprised to see the framerate pop into the 50's.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/xfx_geforce_8800_gt_256mb_xxx_review/

cry1280.gif

I don't consider 30fps average a great experience (as you will see a lot of sub-30fps dips), but as you get up to the 40fps range and above I think things flesh out, especially if you cap your max-fps so it isn't so bouncy.

If that's the included games benchmark, its useless. The framerate gets much worse as you get near the end.

Agreed with Skyring...

My system was generally playable at 1280x800 with a combo of medium and high settings, until I got to the point where the tundra was frozen. My framerate went from a generally acceptable (to me) ~25ish to something around the low teens to high single digits.

I ended up playing at 960 x somethingorother to get it playable again. Ugh.

Cruriously, I never had an issue with the trundra potion, but I suppose that might be because I've been using 1038x640 and not very GPU bound at that resolution anyway.

Teasy, as noted, Crysis works in "Very High" only with DX10 GPUs. You could run most "Very High" features on XP/DX9 with some small hacks, but still need a DX10 GPU.
Are you sure about that? I've tried hacked v.high in DX9 with my 8800gt I didn't notice any difference from what I saw with my x1950xtx before it. DX10 v.high does look subtly better though. Granted, I can't get it running well at anywhere close to those settings though, so I've never ran the game at such high settings for very long.

Kyleb -- I'm on what is essentially a 7950GT AGP card (same clocks, same chip, different name, long story) so I don't have nearly as much rendering "oomph" as many others ;)

Combined with my Presc-hot 4.2Ghz S478 chip, I consider myself pretty lucky to get the performance that I do! :)

Are you sure about that? I've tried hacked v.high in DX9 with my 8800gt I didn't notice any difference from what I saw with my x1950xtx before it. DX10 v.high does look subtly better though. Granted, I can't get it running well at anywhere close to those settings though, so I've never ran the game at such high settings for very long.

I am basing that on the tutorials & screenshots out there where users were able to enable a number of features only available on "very high" on DX10 boards using Vista. I haven't played with these settings myself as I don't have a DX10 GPU and Vista to compare/contrast myself.

Yeah one can enable DX10 features (or rather limited to DX10 Crysis mode) in WinXP. Although object based motion-blur doesn't work right or at all under WinXP. I am shure some of the very high settings do look better in DX10 mode.

Yeah one can enable DX10 features (or rather limited to DX10 Crysis mode) in WinXP. Although object based motion-blur doesn't work right or at all under WinXP.
Does the motion blur work any different using DX9 mode in Vista?

Yeah one can enable DX10 features (or rather limited to DX10 Crysis mode) in WinXP. Although object based motion-blur doesn't work right or at all under WinXP. I am shure some of the very high settings do look better in DX10 mode.

Yeah, I think they're using a GS-based method for the object motion-blur hence its exclusion in DX9. I've also heard that sub-surface scattering for the foliage only works in DX10, but I haven't confirmed that myself.

I had a mate playing it on my PC the other day at 1280x800 with the hacked DX10 very high settings on my 8800GTS 640MB. It can't have been playing at more than 15-20fps but he said he couldn't see any problem with the framerate! Just goes to show how different people react to different framerates.

You can lower the shadow res from 1024 to 512, also test first with e_shadows=0 to see if the shadows make on/off makes a huge difference to begin with! :smile:

To smooth shadow edges play with, (default v.high)
r_ShadowJittering= (2.5)
r_ShadowBlur= (3)
e_shadows_max_texture_size= (1024)

So I reached the fleet level (carrier) and got to see more of how this engine renders 'corridors'/indoor and WOW!

What amassed me beyond belief was the reain and the rain drops effect. Incredible to see the characters and people on the deck get wet and to see the water drips actually move on their clothes (shader effect). Incredible like the effect on PGR4 but here they are animated to and move down and create ripples!

Mod Note: Please see Screenshot Thread

It is high mixed with some v.high settings. Especially r_colorgrading does a difference especially outside by making it look more realistic. It needs q_renderer on 3 to work with high settings. :smile:

Just imagine a corridor game a la' Doom3 or similar with this engine!

The ss with the carrier deck and the man infront is a bit dark and must be seen in motion. Truly satisifying to see a shader effect on the whole body for rain water dripping down. And it bends all correctly (according to physics laws it seems!). Same as seeing water roll down a plane or others object and created ripples on the plane areas! OO

Back