Crysis 3

They announced it today, in fact: February 19th in North America, and in Europe on the 21st.

Now I need to figure out how to balance between this and Bioshock Infinite, which comes out a week later.

Great grass
crysis-3---field---122gku0.jpg

crysis-3---field---125hjcz.jpg

Let's see if this is the game that will make me upgrade my 3 year-old graphics card and 4 year-old CPU+motherboard+DDR2.

Probably not, since the game is coming out for PS360.

I wonder if they optimize the game for high end hardware, or just throw stuff at it...Most wanted game at the moment for me! Seems to feature stunning technology.

Let's see if this is the game that will make me upgrade my 3 year-old graphics card and 4 year-old CPU+motherboard+DDR2.

Probably not, since the game is coming out for PS360.
Right up until you see the comparison screenshots. :)

My system's right on par with their "high end performance" specs, so I think I'll be fine. Whether that means 1080p60 or not is yet to be seen.

The official PC requirements are out, and it does need a DX11 GPU in order to run...

Which is completely idiot, because a guy with a GeForce GTX 285 and a Core i7 965 EE can't play the game, and a guy with a Core i3 3220 can. And the PS3, with a much smaller and limited set of instructions, can play it too.

On one hand it's relatively good that they're pushing for people to replace their old graphics cards, on the other it's stupid because we can see how fake this limitation sounds.

The official PC requirements are out, and it does need a DX11 GPU in order to run...

Which is completely idiot, because a guy with a GeForce GTX 285 and a Core i7 965 EE can't play the game, and a guy with a Core i3 3220 can. And the PS3, with a much smaller and limited set of instructions, can play it too.

On one hand it's relatively good that they're pushing for people to replace their old graphics cards, on the other it's stupid because we can see how fake this limitation sounds.

Maybe it's not about speed of older top range hardware but about DX11 much improved programming model?

On the other hand, Crysis2 was initially D3D9 and PC forums whined about that even though it obviously allowed a lot of hardware to run it. Now they're targeting the latest greatest (3 year old) PC API as if it might actually designed for it (who knows?) but that's now bad.

Maybe there will be a D3D9 patch. :D

Heck, I'd also be overwhelmed with joy if they made a 64 bit OS required as well. :) Unfortunately, that isn't happening. :(

DX11 video cards have been out for over 3 years now (Sept 23rd 2009 the 5870 launched), I'm quite happy to see games starting to target it rather than targetting DX9 and then adding on DX11 features. I really don't feel bad that someone who bought a DX10 card after the 5xxx series came out can't play a game that is trying to push the boundaries of technology on PC now.

Heck, 3 years into the life of Dx9, it was quite rare for a game to even bother with Dx8.

Regards,
SB

I don't see the problem with DX11. My last two cards have been DX11-capable. If you don't have a DX11 graphics card at this point, then PC gaming clearly isn't your thing, and you're better off sticking to the console versions. Presumably, just like any other modern game. What's the point of PC gaming if everything you buy looks and plays worse than the console versions?

You're going to have to upgrade eventually anyway, and sooner rather than later. The next consoles are right around the corner, and you can bet your ass that any PC ports of those games will require DX11-capable cards. Not because of DX11, necessarily, but because anything older couldn't run the games anyway.

I don't see the problem with DX11. My last two cards have been DX11-capable. If you don't have a DX11 graphics card at this point, then PC gaming clearly isn't your thing, and you're better off sticking to the console versions. Presumably, just like any other modern game. What's the point of PC gaming if everything you buy looks and plays worse than the console versions?

Lol! Even gen 1 DX10 cards will spank the consoles! Trust me the 8800gt can still keep up with better than console settings and performance, and the GTX260 whips console ports like a stepchild.

I gave my old comp to my brother that has a GTX260 in it. On my old 1440x900 monitor there's not a game out there it can't handle at decent settings. Decent being way better than consoles.

Back