TGS: Electronic Arts Talks MoH PS3, Next-Gen Costs

aldo said:
Don't know much about game development, but my interpretation of this article is that they are simply comparing the superiority of next gen (PS3) to current gen (PS2/Xbox).
And they are pointing out that after maxing out the graphics rendering and becoming fillrate bound on both the current and next gen consoles the processing power remaining for AI, particles, physics, etc. is:

20% Current Gen
50% Next Gen (4 SPUs free on PS3)

So along with having far superior graphics the next generation will also have the processing power available for a much improved codebase to match those graphics.

There is nothing in this article that denotes that the PS3 is greater than X360 or vice versa.

-aldo

Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't he just mention version? Unless this game was coming out on current gen consoles as well, I see no reason for that to be mentioned. Now, I'm not a big believer of EA pushing any console to it's limits, but this here is basic stuff. There should be no reason for it to have be interpreted any other way. You guys read way too much into things sometimes.

akira888 said:
Where exactly did you read that the developers were targeting 1080p? Unless stated otherwise I think we can safely assume either 720p or 1080i. (roughly the same size)

Except that it's likely that if your targetting 1080i, you'll use a full 1080 line buffer, so 1080i ends up being twice the pixels.

I think it is simply a mixed bag based on the actual development house that is handling a particular game, rather than whether a game falls under the EA label or not. I've seen very good looking and very mediocre looking games come from EA. Some of my favorites have the EA label on it, though.

EA has gathered a considerable amount of talent from the movie VFX industry. Their start was Habib Zargapur, a real wizard from ILM (Perfect Storm and Phantom Menace R&D), but now they also have guys like a character technical director from Tippett studio, or an R&D guy from the Matrix sequels. Fight Night is one of their high profile projects and I guess everyone has to admit that it looks cool so far.

Fight Night 2 is one of the best looking fighting games this gen so I believe that they can make the next-gen system pump something great.

Back