CryENGINE 3

A cube map look up isn't exactly new ,you know.It's really in every games.
And i've yet to be impressed by the GI in crysis 2 ,that's the price of making it fully realtime.Enlighten does a so much better job.

A cube map look up isn't exactly new ,you know.It's really in every games.
And i've yet to be impressed by the GI in crysis 2 ,that's the price of making it fully realtime.Enlighten does a so much better job.
It's not just a cubemap, but also ambient lighting determined by the cubemap. This is something Epic is now touting with UE3.9995.

Also, I think it's pretty impressive for what it does, considering it's realtime and running on consoles whilst Enlighten isn't. This allows Crytek to have to gradual time of day changes you see in the first level when the sun rises in Battery Park.

Halo 3 had ambient lighting that looked better than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I think it's pretty impressive for what it does, considering it's realtime and running on consoles whilst Enlighten isn't. This allows Crytek to have to gradual time of day changes you see in the first level when the sun rises in Battery Park.

Funny I've seen some MP maps and the GI and rest of tech makes it look like Mirrors Edge , that is CGI'ish. Especially indoors.

Good example of the 'ambient cubemap':
Nanosuit2.jpg

I think it was Half-life 2 that first used it, at least for ambient, back in 2004 or so?

Making it fully dynamic for both reflection and lighting and such is new, though, we'll see if it becomes a new standard.

Question: does using GI on consoles translate into noticeable savings when it comes to texture memory usage? From what I understand, most games use different textures for different parts of a level, each with appropriately prebaked lighting/shadows. Using GI, it is possible to use just one "wallpaper" texture for the whole room and GI will dynamically take care of the rest. Is that correct or am I missing something? And if yes, can we expect an increase in texture variety thanks to that?

Your assumption is correct, however lightmaps usually have a different set of texture coordinates and are manually optimized even further. In practice, lightmap resolution is 15-50x less detailed as the color textures, so a single 512-1024 lightmap can cover up even an entire level in cases. Thus the savings with GI aren't really significant in terms of texture memory.

CE3TimesSquare.jpg

This scene = 14fps on my 5570 :p

You can start to see the limitations of their DoF implementation when you crank up the settings a bit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12527604/pictures/cryengine/CE3TimesSquare.jpg
This scene = 14fps on my 5570 :p

You can start to see the limitations of their DoF implementation when you crank up the settings a bit.

But that is leaked editor and it will fail on many things and have missing/reduced rendering quality/effects and be compromised vs ingame from what I've seen beyond being a beta. Also you can up the sample count. It can be set to 64 by cvar and might be 32 samples by default going by cvar command dump list I have.

Up the sample count. It can be set to 64 by cvar and might be 32 samples by default going by cvar command dump list I have. Your image is also from editor, right judging by it's aspect ratio? Editor rendering fails in many ways with missing shadows, effects, perfomance issues, shading preset failures and more. It's also WIP.
Doesn't seem to work, but neither does the other option (spherical bokeh instead of octagonal).

I think this is interesting:
CE3TimesSquare2.jpg

15fps on this scene with DoF, 17fps without. I'd really like to know how they've done it so cheaply.

Doesn't seem to work, but neither does the other option (spherical bokeh instead of octagonal).

Sample count should work as it is set in shaders unless you are running in low shader quality (you cant really chose high, it needs to be "unlocked" and only partially).

15fps on this scene with DoF, 17fps without. I'd really like to know how they've done it so cheaply.

Yeah it's impressive perfomance impact is so low. And Bokeh is used for all DOF situations.

They look pretty good on the Times Square level.

Talking about reflections I do hope PC version has full scenery reflection for ocean. Footage and vids I've seen dont show ocean reflects whole scenry, jsut some assets on water. I want the terrain, ground, buildings etc reflected to give depth to water surface and I do hope ocean surface shading is better. So far the vanilla ocean rendering in Crysis destroys C2s.

Talking about reflections I do hope PC version has full scenery reflection for ocean. Footage and vids I've seen dont show ocean reflects whole scenry, jsut some assets on water. I want the terrain, ground, buildings etc reflected to give depth to water surface and I do hope ocean surface shading is better. So far the vanilla ocean rendering in Crysis destroys C2s.

Agreed, here's hoping.

Back