CryENGINE 3

Realtime doesn't mean at playable framerate.. maybe it's realtime on 3x GTX580 at 5 fps.
:D

Since most if not all of that is already in I doubt you would even need a high-end GPU to pull those effects. Only thing lacking might be realtime reflections but final game will have it acording to dev at Incrysis or Crymod (there is a quote).

The tech demo is impressive, but why doesn't Crysis 2 look like this? The colors and contrast are nowhere near that in the PC demo, it's way less realistic...

They went for a different artstyle. Like Crysis to Warhead. Might also be more suitable if scaling down effects to keep "parity" in visuals presentation between versions.

There is a video of beta leak posted in one thread where user changed TOD to look far more realistically. Akin to that tech demo but for outdoor scenery at daytime. It depends though on map/level. Some are more artistic some are more realistic based on video footage and demo like Pier 17 looking artystically stylised vs Rooftops looking quite realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the "Integrated image-based lighting" thing.

In the leaked Sandbox 3 editor, there's an entity called "Environment Probe". You set a radius and a cubemap, and when you activate it, the ambient lighting and reflections are "synched" with the cubemap.

Example: Here a trailer and a sphere with a completely black material, high specularity and glossiness.

No environment probe:

env_probe_no9a6a.jpg

With environment probe.
env_probe_withvpo4.jpg

Isn't that in in PC demo or are they just custom pre-made cubemaps for each object/surface getting them as it reflects the suroundings ~acceptable.

They probably use them in all of their maps, to make reflections more consistent.

I'm still waiting to see actual realtime glossy reflections in the game (and deformation).

CE3 custom map(s) shown on PC at GDC. "very high" settings used (hovers with mouse over settings menu showing v.h preset being already selected).Unknow API mode.

[gt]711280[/gt]

Now they look great. Fingers crossed the final game will look like that.
I have seen SP in person,hardcore settings DX9.It looks better than any other game I have ever seen in my life.Hopefully they won't fuck up DX11 and they will bring their A game with it.

About the "Integrated image-based lighting" thing.

In the leaked Sandbox 3 editor, there's an entity called "Environment Probe". You set a radius and a cubemap, and when you activate it, the ambient lighting and reflections are "synched" with the cubemap.

Example: Here a trailer and a sphere with a completely black material, high specularity and glossiness.

No environment probe:

env_probe_no9a6a.jpg

With environment probe.
env_probe_withvpo4.jpg
This + the GI just puts the lighting above and beyond CE2, IMO:
Crysis2Lighting.jpg

I was pretty stunned at how realistic they looked.

Back