CryENGINE 3

Double-edged sword with the marketing shenanigans and configuration mishaps (driver/hardware/etc) no matter how powerful the PC. Also, it's reverse "consolitis" when a new one launches with new hardware to play with that isn't prolific on the PC yet. Lather, rinse, repeat every generation... althouth this one is lasting longer than usual. :)

I'm not sure we'll ever see a console exceed PC again. The last time it "might" have aguably been the case was the PS2, but while it was better at certain things at the time, it wasn't universally better than what was available on PC.

And to bigtabs, yes, most of us PC gamers can't wait for a new console generation so that games on PC will also generally look better. :D Although at this point we're resigned to relatively marginal improvements over console version (other than resolution, AA and AF). Now there's far more frustration with console inspired UI and controls, which are absolutely horrible when ported directly to PC. And a new generation of consoles won't help with that. :(

Regards,
SB

And didn't they made CE3 next gen ready.

Supposedly, but I cant imagine it's much more than a crutch born of necessity. Especially since Crytek themselves have said rendering methods are in for massive change, but only at next gen not before.

So yes CE3 may work on next gen but I'm sure it wont be ideal and Crytek will have a ground up solution.

CE4 with maxwell?? Maybe this is the giant leap in tech we're all waiting for. Maxwell will basically be a next gen console in an add in card. So I think it's fair the next engine coincide with this ARM + GPU monster :D

Btw didn't Crytek showcase CE3 doing Sparse Voxel Octree?

I seem to recall it allowed for finegrain destruction of surfaces like chipping of concrete pieces where you hit them or deform surfaces. I hope they putthat into C2. I do know it's expensive but for PC it should be used.

you may be thinking about something else, John Carmack from id software loves writing/talking about sparse voxel octree but with the caveat it only allows static world geometry - rebuilding the octree is a bitch.

you may be thinking about something else, John Carmack from id software loves writing/talking about sparse voxel octree but with the caveat it only allows static world geometry - rebuilding the octree is a bitch.

But it is a problem some people are working hard to overcome.

Take a look at this:

I believe the car is polygonal, but that's their proof of concept, that they can blend lighting, shadows and physics with a hybrid approach. The car tires actually deform the track. And they claim that is running on a mainstream notebook.

Also this one:

They claim they build the scene in a multi pass approach. Seems to me like everything is built in a multilayer manner and that way they can change only the affected layer tree, at reasonably computational power.

http://www.atomontage.com/?id=dev_blog#jan03_2011

Of course, there are still ways to go, and perhaps it is a little too far off to expect it in a close future (say next generation consoles), but it may be viable in a few years ahead.

It seems to be in CE3 (or maybe for future updates/engine), mentioned it in a presentation and it is done differently from ID softwares presented method.

http://raytracey.blogspot.com/2009/09/sparse-voxel-octree-in-cryengine-3.html

http://www.crytek.com/sites/default/files/Notes.ppt

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't notice this before.

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=31029

Electronic Arts’ world-class animation tech – made famous in numerous EA Sports titles – is being employed in both the Medal of Honor reboot project and Crysis 2.

- Animation Engine - It's called ANT (ANimation Toolkit), and it's shared technology among nearly all of the EA Sports games. ANT provides two things: 1.) a 'tool' which allows us to prepare our raw animations for the game (i.e. tagging when a player is down or what injury impact a tackle has on which body part), and 2.) in-game technology to actually execute all these animations. Anything custom to our game (and NCAA) is built as a plug-in to ANT...so it's actually not part of the low level animation engine. This includes things like IK Foot Pinning, Multi-Character Alignment (for tackles, blocks, etc), Catching, etc

Didn't notice this before.

- Animation Engine - It's called ANT (ANimation Toolkit), and it's shared technology among nearly all of the EA Sports games. ANT provides two things: 1.) a 'tool' which allows us to prepare our raw animations for the game (i.e. tagging when a player is down or what injury impact a tackle has on which body part), and 2.) in-game technology to actually execute all these animations. Anything custom to our game (and NCAA) is built as a plug-in to ANT...so it's actually not part of the low level animation engine. This includes things like IK Foot Pinning, Multi-Character Alignment (for tackles, blocks, etc), Catching, etc

cool. ANT is also being used in BF3

The tech demo is impressive, but why doesn't Crysis 2 look like this? The colors and contrast are nowhere near that in the PC demo, it's way less realistic...

Yeah, presentations are so out of the world in comparison to the game and this not-announced mmo also look so good, but the best scenes i think was from the last asian game cut-scenes, so CG like, especially in terms of effects and DOF.

Back