Corporate Execs talk about Next-Gen Consoles

You could have started a new topic, Ty.

Anyway, have a nice quotes-fest with PC-Engine. ;)

Definitely true. No need for marketing, case, power supply, etc. Better still if the CPU handles decoding - basically piggyback whatever you need off of whatever the Xbox360 can already do.

Did someone say that HD-DVD drives for PCs would only be $100?

NOpe no mention of 100$ . but your right alot can be gone from a stand alone player

No fear of an argument, I was pointing out an article that had some interesting information.

And yes, I believe CNET said they expected the first BR players to come out at $1000 as well.

Well there has a been a bluray player on sale for along time . How compatiable it is giong ofoward i have no clue . But its been on sale . Belieev it started at 5k for the bluray recorder

And I agree with the gist of your argument that placing BR into the PS3 faces the same cost only because I don't know of the actual cost but I'm guessing they're similar. Then again, MS would be losing a lot of money upfront for their console if they included HD-DVD AND a HDD (which I would have preferred over HD-DVD/BR anyhow). And I kind of doubt they're willing to do that.

Well looking at the consoles themselves the xbox 360 will be cheaper than the ps3 .

It has

a smaller cpu

a gpu in two parts for better yields

1 pool of ram

Les busses (Chepaer pcb and other things . )

It also has less inputs

So the hd-dvd drive even at a 100$ may only bring the xbox 360 to around ps3 pricing .

But what we know about bluray and sony is this . Sony putting a bluray drive in the ps3 means they are eating the cost of that drive al by themselves . What we don't know about hd-dvd is that if ms puts the drive in they may not eat the full cost of the drive. Toshiba may eat some of the cost too .

So if a drive costs 100$ to make . Toshiba can go to ms . Hey listen we will give you the drives for 50$ and we will eat 50$ ourselves .

They can do this for a few reasons

Ms plans to sell 10 million systems in the first 12-18 months of release . So that will be 10 million hd-dvd players in the home . Giving toshiba a good foot hold . They will also ship a few million this year world wide . Giving toshiba a solid lead over bluray . You also have cross advertising and of course the game companys using that media and toshiba getting profits from that .

Sony is in basicly the same boat with bluray except they are launching later and sony has to foot the whole bill.

Its a huge risk for all 3 companys . But mostly sony as the costs for sony will be much greater

Its a huge risk for all 3 companys . But mostly sony as the costs for sony will be much greater

Oh please stop with the nonsense. Think in 3D my brother. :) *Sony will make their money back with selling movies and games on Blu-ray discs. So yeah at first Sony will take a big hit but in the coming here they stand to make millions back. This is money that MS won't make with including a HD-DVD drive.

*Please refer to the sales of the UMD to see an example of how a videogame system can help bring in profit for Sony. They created the universal media disc. Now they are getting money back from every umd sold. The same will be held true with the BD.

Back