"core" and "non-core" posts

silence said:
and for those who havent understood yet... no it is NOT about rep or post count, its about Dave making part of people that contribue to his site (how many clicks you think i make every day Dave?, how much does that help with advertising?) as some sort of "unwanted annoyance that should be happy that is tolerated"....

Having a high signal to noise ratio on your forum will guarantee a large reader following. These readers produce views and clicks for banner revenue.

Adding noise by posting drivel will lower the SNR of the forum, lowering the overall quality of the site and drive away readers. So what you see as a contribution might very well detract from the site.

Dave putting an effort in to curb the trend of increasing noise is perfectly understandable from a business stand point and from a pure tech-head stand point of not having to wade through endless threads to dig up the few nuggets that might be in there.

Cheers
Gubbi

How do you instigate the quality driven reward scheme without seeming to be elitist or opening the system up to chronic cronyism ?

dizietsma said:
How do you instigate the quality driven reward scheme without seeming to be elitist or opening the system up to chronic cronyism ?
The same way you hope ppl can ignore trolls in the old format, On the faith that the regular crew who post are smart and kind. And they are in the 3D sections. But realy who cares... Its all about less noise and more meat.

I'm still trying to figure out your emphasis on the "you," geo. It reads almost as strange as hearing rowter pronounced rooter--IOW, world-shakingly so. I guess it's a reference to the occasionally serious tone *of* this thread. ;)

Speaking of references, between you and cthellis, all the obvious Hitchhikers' catch-phrases are taken. You two are going to force me to re-read it. *Sigh.* ;) ;)

Seems to me a "quality-driven" reward scheme is by definition elitist, di. But reputation doesn't restrict posting ability, so it's still just a (rough) guide to forum participation, not a rule. It's up to the individual poster to use it (in combination with, say, the ignore function, or simply their built-in skim/skip function) or ignore it (again, either by disabling it or by skipping over it).

Pete said:
Speaking of references, between you and cthellis, all the obvious Hitchhikers' catch-phrases are taken. You two are going to force me to re-read it. *Sigh.* ;) ;)

42. . . which makes you the answer to everything. Or a personal favorite SEP Field (Somebody Else's Problem).

Heh, I'd forgotten about those two. All the more reason to refresh!

Which reminds me, the DVD is due in a few days.

Back