Console Thermals/Fan Noise

xbox-one-thermal-images Has this been shared yet?

Oh, that's pretty nifty images. They're quite cold in comparison to my AVR Amp or my DVR STB.

Here's my observations from my system setup: the XBox One Kinect is warm to the touch and the Xbox One console is room-temp to the touch. The Xbox Slim is warmer to the touch than either.

xbox-one-thermal-images Has this been shared yet?

Quite a bit cooler than the ps4 should make it much safer in cabinets for those who are inclined. I suppose the external brick pays off there.

Kinect 2 lacks active cooling so no reason it wouldn't get warm. I'm not sure the descriptor of 'whopping' is accurate for 42C. Its 5 degrees warmer than people.

Quite a bit cooler than the ps4 should make it much safer in cabinets for those who are inclined. I suppose the external brick pays off there.

Kinect 2 lacks active cooling so no reason it wouldn't get warm. I'm not sure the descriptor of 'whopping' is accurate for 42C. Its 5 degrees warmer than people.

Three separate components are are around 100° while watching TV, in addition to the cable box. Games we can forgive generated heat, but TV and streaming?

Three separate components are are around 100° while watching TV, in addition to the cable box. Games we can forgive generated heat, but TV and streaming?

And all three added together will probably generate a fraction of what my TV generates. Obviously you were never buying one anyway so I doubt it will be a problem for you either.

I'm willing to bet that there are some pretty wide variations in methodology when it comes to getting temps. If the APUs are anything like every other large chip out there, individual samples are going to have at least some variation, and the physical manufacturing is going to vary a little between boxes.

I also don't think temps are what people should worry about, as the temperature of various components that aren't active ICs are of little practical concern unless they are approaching the melting point or flashpoint of the cases or neighboring materials, or are hot enough burn skin.

If you care about putting a console in an airflow-constrained environment, the power draw of what is in the space is likely to matter more than what temperature the fan grill hits. You want to know how much heat needs to be moved out of the volume that contains the console, and the vast majority of it is moved by heated air (edit: and the temp difference from intake to vent, and the volume of air)--which the console's external temps are rather indirect measures for.

If the power brick is in a different space, it's a decent amount of power that wouldn't need to be moved out of a cabinet or alcove.

Me! The 360 gets hot fast, this looks more suitable :)

And all three added together will probably generate a fraction of what my TV generates. Obviously you were never buying one anyway so I doubt it will be a problem for you either.

My 42" LCD costs like $14 a year to run five hours a day.

It's not a problem, it's an observation, drop the attitude.

So the takeaway point is X1 runs cooler, quieter and consumes less power compared to PS4.
Well usually more power = more heat. The PS4 uses less power on standby, but either way, the differences are negligible. I'm actually surprised that the differences in temperatures are pretty small considering the PS4 is significantly smaller and has an internal PSU. The PS4's cooling design seems very efficient in removing heat, and it does so at respectable noise levels.

And as 3dilettante, there are probably fairly wide variations in chips and how much heat they produce. AT's article is perhaps proof of this since their PS4 actually ran cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PS4 seems cooler because it has higher airflow.

Heat transport through a heat sink is dependent on temperature gradient. If you have similar sized ICs with similar sized heatsinks, but one using more power than the other, the one with higher power consumption would need a steeper temperature gradient in the heat sink to maintain the same temperature on the IC.

Since the hot ends of the heat sinks have the same limit (T_junction), the cold end of the heat sink needs to be cooler for the IC with the higher power consumption. That implies higher airflow.

Note the premise: Heat sinks are sized similarly

Cheers

I understand Kinect 2 actually has a fan ..,

Back