Console Exclusives: Significance and Impact *spinoff*

Fortnite is F2P and available on pretty much every platform. PUBG is available on 3 platforms and is a budget priced title. TLoU is basically a cross-gen game, released at the end of one platform and the launch of another.

If PUBG is your standard for successful new IP, then the large majority of new IPs are complete failures.
well I mean Minecraft would be the standard for a successful new IP

well we both have different opinions here. Fortnite , pub g and other games are all new ips that have sold a shit ton. 17m for a title released on two platforms doesn't seem like a great deal to me and comparing it to titles on a single platform makes little sense
You're picking outliers from a different market (cross-platform and online games with viral marketing) as reference points. Why would you do that? Look at comparable games - disc and download titles for consoles, of single player games. What's the typical selling rate for one of these? TLoU is a top seller for new platform-exclusive IP. It's ludicrous to argue it's not all that great.

As people keep forgetting, or willingly ignore, the best selling titles still only sell to a small fraction of the userbase. Even a total monster like Fortnite is played by a minority, less than 50%. Selling to %5 is impressive. Selling to 10% is great. Selling to 20% is incredible and extremely rare. Selling beyond that is not anything realistic to hope for or target as a developer or publisher, unless you're Nintendo. ;)

A bit, they are still under exclusive publishing with Activision. They should get a greater percentage of the profits, but Activision still funnels away a fairly sizeable amount of it.

It depends on the publishing deal and I'd bet that Bungie were in the commanding position in that negotiation being perceived as highly desirable and well proven developers. They are aren't n00bs in this field, they were independent long before being acquired by Microsoft so know the pitfalls of publishing deals having self-published most of their early games as well as having games published by Eidos, GT Interactive and Rockstar. Yes, Rockstar!

They got the creative freedom to start a new IP, but now they are locked into that IP (like they were with Halo) for, I'm guessing, at least 3 mainline titles.

Unless this is part of the publishing deal with Activision, they aren't. They'll be shy about committing to long term franchises again but just knowing you can do something different if you want can be enough to not burn out. Sometimes it's just the lack of lack of freedom that wears you down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless this is part of the publishing deal with Activision, they aren't. They'll be shy about committing to long term franchises again but just knowing you can do something different if you want can be enough to not burn out. Sometimes it's just the lack of lack of freedom that wears you down.

There have been miscellaneous tweet and articles that have mentioned that when Bungie signed the deal with Activision, part of the stipulations was for a 3 game series with an option to extend that beyond the 3rd game. I don't have any of them on hand as my search-Fu is weak, and I rarely bookmark these types of things. So if you want to take it with a grain of salt, I don't mind. :)

Also I think you messed up on your multi-quote. ;)

Regards,
SB

There have been miscellaneous tweet and articles that have mentioned that when Bungie signed the deal with Activision, part of the stipulations was for a 3 game series with an option to extend that beyond the 3rd game. I don't have any of them on hand as my search-Fu is weak, and I rarely bookmark these types of things. So if you want to take it with a grain of salt, I don't mind. :)

Also I think you messed up on your multi-quote. ;)

Regards,
SB

Who owns the IP?

eh bungie can build up a second studio and have them work on a destiny 3 if they don't want to do it. However at this point why would anyone want a destiny 3 , the first two were train wrecks

Sony with all their resource and graphics talent should really develop an open world game with character creation and romance options one such as Cyberpunk or The Witcher. If done well it would seriously have the potential to overtake TLOU franchise and become the new tentpole. I hope they set up a brand new mega studio for next gen of course with ICE team sharing the techs and have something ready around mid gen.
In fact just use Decima engine but improved with a 12 tf machine and we'll have a winner.

40m selling train wrecks...
Yup, I only put about 30 hrs into Destiny 1 and 2. But I don't understand this destiny being a disaster so many posters speak of, most devs would kill for the numbers Destiny has done. It's like when someone posts a game is shit and has played it for a thousand hours.

Destiny 2 looks quite beautiful, max settings, on a nice PC rig. Not my cup of tea, but from what I played, it definitely isn't a shit show.

Yup, I only put about 30 hrs into Destiny 1 and 2. But I don't understand this destiny being a disaster so many posters speak of, most devs would kill for the numbers Destiny has done. It's like when someone posts a game is shit and has played it for a thousand hours.
Number of sales also pales compared to revenue, and Destiny had great sales of consumables as I understand it. A game played by many millions of people for many, many hours, spending lots and lots of money, isn't a failure by any sane metric.

both games had strong launches but died shortly after , Bungie wanted Destiny to bring in large numbers for years instead of dying out before any expansions hit .
Destiny 2 charted 12th in a busy December month (revenue based) and was the 3rd best selling title for the year. It continues to hang around the top 40 in the UK charts week after week and spikes when content is released.

Destiny 2 charted 12th in a busy December month (revenue based) and was the 3rd best selling title for the year. It continues to hang around the top 40 in the UK charts week after week and spikes when content is released.

Pretty rubbish updates and expansions though.

both games had strong launches but died shortly after...
What's the data for 'died'? The Destiny game thread here has 4,600 posts, second only to a GT5 thread that's been running for twice as long.

And for the Taken King, this little note:
Two days after its release, Sony announced that The Taken King had broke the record for the most-downloaded day-one game in PlayStation history, in terms of both total players and peak online concurrency.[1]

Not saying you're wrong, but everything piece of evidence I see suggests fans stuck with it and Destiny made lots of money for years after release.

Not saying you're wrong, but everything piece of evidence I see suggests fans stuck with it and Destiny made lots of money for years after release.

Yes and I bet Activision and Bungie are happy about that money. I do not think Destiny series was a train wreck. Question is, did it live up to the expectations of Activision/Bungie?

And will #3 be as successful as its predecessors, I am confused about CoD and how it stays successful, but then again I burned out on Destiny 1 with the last DLC released.

Back