Console Exclusives: Significance and Impact *spinoff*

The XBOX wasn't known for shooters because of MS's games.

The XBOX gained the popularity of the best place to play first person shooters as a console overall and that was due to the fact that it was getting many and the best ports of popular shooters from the PC space. That was regardless of who made those games.

You beat me to it. OG Xbox was the Halo box. The 360 was the place to play Halo, Gears, COD, etc. These were known as shooters, but it was not attributed to anything MS did. It was about the popularity of the genre and the fact that the 360 buyers were from a core demographic.

To me a lot of it stems from how the gaming industry shifted. The console market was primarily driven by Japanese tastes and influences up until the turn of the century even though the western market was larger. So in my mind there was a huge vacuum of western tastes waiting to be filled in console gaming. All you have to do is look at the sales of Goldeneye on N64 to get a sense of where things were headed. It was the 3rd best selling game on N64 and barely sold in Japan...

Nowadays almost all big AAA games are western developed and a lot of them are FPS. Sega collapsing and Xbox entering the market was just filling a void of more western-centric tastes. Xbox represents sort of the far end of the pendulum swing to almost being American centric with Halo and Gears and Forza(being more aracdy than gran turismo)

To me Sony 3rd person cinematic games run started with Uncharted and it could be that they just found success with that formula and they just stuck with it. But I also think it has to do with it Japanese company trying to find a genre that appeals to a western market without completely alienating others.

Last edited:
Though the major reason why the Xbox family is more shooter focused is

far larger % of user's are in the USA (>10 million xb360 owners there than ps3 owners), shooter's are disproportionally popular compared to other countries

xp3gag.png

Front page of Opencritic, a perfect example of why ecosystem counts. Do you want 3/6 games to choose from or 6/6 including the highest rated?

@DrJay24 the sooner you realize everyone has different tastes the better. I highly suggest you stop trying to force your tastes onto others.

Honestly, looking back through this thread, a lot of posters have very strong opinions and/or stances on both sides. DrJay24 post doesn't look all that different from the others.

Me, I prefer a ham sandwich with cheese. While others prefer a cheese sandwich with ham. :confused::mrgreen:

Last edited:
@DrJay24 the sooner you realize everyone has different tastes the better. I highly suggest you stop trying to force your tastes onto others.

My post is about taste and options in a thread about exclusives, so on topic. Feel free to discuss the the merit of choice, options and the current market, otherwise don't reply to just show that you are a bully trying to discourage anyone you don't agree with.

You can't really complain at this. In a thread about exclusives, DrJay24 has linked to an independent site that shows the mean average appreciation of games. I'm sure he was jumping up and down with glee at the low score for SoT, but the content is very appropriate for this thread.

You can't really complain at this. In a thread about exclusives, DrJay24 has linked to an independent site that shows the mean average appreciation of games. I'm sure he was jumping up and down with glee at the low score for SoT, but the content is very appropriate for this thread.
I don’t see how he has moved the conversation forward on this topic. This is effectively the same beat he has drummed from the start. All of it being some form modification of list posting which we usually moderate against.

Nothing he’s written about advances the discussion of the impact or significance, nothing like what other posts ie MrFox or yourself have added.

His arguments leave no room for reality, which is simply, if you don’t see my point of view, you must be an idiot. Because look at this list of games amount and score. But Xbox keeps selling and YoY it’s doing better than previous.

If he has no interest in trying to explain that, I don’t see a reason to treat it as some revelatory evidence. We already know why people choose PlayStation with regards to exclusives. That horse is beaten to death. we to start talking about why Xbox keeps selling.

I'm sure he was jumping up and down with glee at the low score for SoT

I pictured more of a Kermit the Frog moment... with him sipping a glass of tea.

Anyhow, why such a mediocre score for Sea of Thieves? I haven't kept up with the reviews, just Digital Foundry's analysis of the game engine.

I pictured more of a Kermit the Frog moment... with him sipping a glass of tea.

Anyhow, why such a mediocre score for Sea of Thieves? I haven't kept up with the reviews, just Digital Foundry's analysis of the game engine.

Not enough content, the core game is good

That's true of 95% of all posts in all discussions...
We are at an interesting dichotomy where one platform has a significantly larger library of games, and more GOTY ratings vs a console that has none since the day they announced all games would come to PC.

We are effectively talking about 1 company whose entire strategy is central around exclusives and one that isn’t and we can discuss how big of an impact exclusives are to their respective platforms and value offering to their customer base. There is a topic to discuss here.

But if this thread was always slanted towards how important are exclusives to a company whose central strategy is exclusives, then we should have said so from the get go. It’s been largely a waste of time for anyone here discussing the opposing view.

No attempts have been made to recognize the YoY gains, the Increaes on MAU on a platform with no exclusive strategy. It’s clear the platform that is more expensive with a smaller and lesser well reviewed library (there are literally NO games announced passed June) is on the contrary coming to life, not dying off, and no one is interested in discussing that.

There is little wonder why commentary about why people are willing to buy into a console without PS exclusives has been falling on deaf ears; this has largely been a stealth superiority thread.

I don't disagree with your sentiments, but I think the focus was clear on the outset - it was a question, "do exclusives matter?" The end result (shocker) is that they do, more to some people than others, and are one part of the value proposition of a console.

The question as to what is the best strategy to sell a console, and whether MS are doing the right thing or not, is a superset of this thread. Exactly like the BC thread - does BC matter? There's no point talking about Sony's pricing structure or Nintendo's portability in a thread about whether BC matters and trying to guess what the value of BC is.

If you want to go ahead and start a discussion asking what the best strategy is for a console company, whether hardware, price, exclusives, BC, and roll it all into one, go for it. I imagine such a discussion to get very unwieldy very quickly as people break it down into natural subtopics, arguing over whether BC is important or not, or whether exclusives matter or not, and the good-old lists of console prices and sales successes, etc.

Regards this thread, basically everyone's said their piece and it had nicely come to a close (discussion had diverged onto what perception of consoles the general populace has). DrJay24 contributed a rather obvious bit of evidence to the 'yes, they matter' side, not warranting any response AFAICS unless someone felt there was a valid counter-point to it.

Pointing out critical reception is the most obvious counter argument to anecdote. It's not a personal attack. How widespread your anecdote is will determine how much impact it has.

This thread have been going in circles because personal tastes anecdotes are implied to contain an implicit argument of being a significant occurence.

Pointing out critical reception is the most obvious counter argument to anecdote. It's not a personal attack. How widespread your anecdote is will determine how much impact it has.

This thread have been going in circles because personal tastes anecdotes are implied to contain an implicit argument of being a significant occurrence.
It's been going in circles because there's largely a need to separate what it is, from how well it is actually executed. There's no direct correlation between critical reception and being a first party studio or being exclusive.
When people try to make that relationship, I consider that exclusivity worship.

I would indirectly correlate that Sony's central strategy to create critically received games as a method of selling their whole platform, creates a higher probability of a critical reception game.
It's their strength, they're good at it.
But that does not limit the 3P market from creating equally critically received games, nor does that guarantee all their titles to be critically received.

Last edited:
Back