*Console Display Calibration Issues

djskribbles I actually love you.

What you explained pretty much gives confirmation to a general 'feel' I had - on my TV at least, I get a punchier picture when playing Blurays than I do when playing games. It's undeniable that the way my display shows an RGB signal and a YCbCr one is very different.
:oops: :smile:

It is ideal only because that is how blu-ray's are encoded, so with YCbCr you get original without any conversion.
Yup exactly. You generally want to avoid any unnecessary conversions. However some displays look a bit better when you feed it RGB (ie Pioneer Kuros).

I quite like how PS3 does conversion to Full RGB with chroma upsampling and actually respects what user set as output format.
It would be a nice feature to add, and it might get added. Many standalone players offer the option for RGB output. At the moment, it seems like Sony is treating Blu-Ray more as a secondary function, but I have no doubt that it will greatly improve over time. Firmware 2.0 will probably be a big update.

Well, i just found out why i could see all the 0-255 black/contrast squares both in limited/full on the ps4, and i even tested through my laptop and it does the same thing. I have a Panasonic Plasma GT50, apparently if you use an hdmi to hdmi connection (as in one hdmi cable connected through the tv to the ps4/pc) you can only get 16-235, and if you switch it to non-standard (0-255) it will just remap it to 16-235 which is even worse! The only way i could get full RGB is by using and HDMI to DVI connection, and I'm guessing this would activate 4:4:4 chroma too. But the problem is that neither the xbox one nor the ps4 have an DVI out, is there any way to trick the tv into thinking the source is DVI? Maybe connecting this to the ps4
wolthuis.aspx

Then this
ADPHDMIFDVII2Mb.jpg

then my hdmi cable to the tv, will maybe trick the tv into thinking it's a DVI source? Has anybody tried this before?

A converter or an HDMI to DVI cable should work. Xbox One supports DVI output, I'm assuming using either of those options. PS4 should be the same. Don't forget about audio!

A converter or an HDMI to DVI cable should work. Xbox One supports DVI output, I'm assuming using either of those options. PS4 should be the same. Don't forget about audio!
I got audio covered with my optical cable. But my tv does not have a DVI port, neither does the ps4. In order to get full rgb i need a dvi signal. But i don't know if the adapters i posted will work since it starts with HDMI>>PS4>>HDMI>>DVI adapters>>TV. So the signal still ends up being HDMI to HDMI which by the tvs description should not output 0-255, but might trick it into thinking it's DVI because of the adapter?

I got audio covered with my optical cable. But my tv does not have a DVI port, neither does the ps4. In order to get full rgb i need a dvi signal. But i don't know if the adapters i posted will work since it starts with HDMI>>PS4>>HDMI>>DVI adapters>>TV. So the signal still ends up being HDMI to HDMI which by the tvs description should not output 0-255, but might trick it into thinking it's DVI because of the adapter?

Oh, I misunderstood.

It probably won't work, unless you can set the input on the TV to DVI signalling. I'm not sure how DVI works, but there is some kind of handshake. I'd think the TV would have to be set to DVI and the console would either automatically figure out what it is, or you'd have to set it manually there as well. I know you can choose to output DVI over HDMI on the Xbox One.

I spent a lot of time and effort trying to figure out why my tv was crushing black with xbox one, messing with the console settings, calibrating over and over again. Turns out it was my tvs (Samsung LED) game mode. I put it in movie mode, calibrated again, and now everything looks great. I have all the dynamic crap turned off, but just a basic calibration using the built in Xbox One tool and everything looks pretty nice.

Game mode usually lowers input lag, but quite a few TVs have an unnoticeable amount of lag in regular modes (unnoticeable to most anyway). Unless you're a hardcore fighting game guy, then anything around 40ms or less isn't noticeable IMO.

Last edited:
Stupid of me not to try it sooner, but I knew something was up when I was house sitting for my parents, brought my Xbox One and discovered their tv looked miles better than mine. It didn't have game mode enabled, so I got suspicious. Really, it's very unfortunate I didn't discover it sooner, because I'd already beat all of the dlc for Sunset Overdrive and had uninstalled it, as well as a couple other games. They would have been nice to see on a more correct display.

Back