LG OLED as PC Monitor: The bad and the good

Whoops, only just discovered this thread.

I've been using an LG 48" CX as my only monitor since January. I love it.

I bought the service remote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085RTB2RP/?tag=b3d-21

to defeat the "anti-burn-in" features. I also set the brightness to 55. So I never get variations in brightness due to content.

Every day when I turn it on I fuck about with the remote to turn off the pixel shift feature. It's the only annoyance I have.

A few months ago I accidentally discovered that Media Player Classic Home Cinema:

Media Player Classic Home Cinema: MPC-HC download | SourceForge.net

in combination with MADVR:

madVR

renders HDR video automatically (only when entering full screen). Normally, I don't consume HDR content on this monitor, because I have the 77" in my play room for that. But it was gratifying to find out that without any fiddling to turn on HDR in Windows, HDR "just works" for video playback.

This channel is for the OLED master race:

Windows browser, entering full screen, will not activate HDR on the monitor though (dunno if Windows in HDR mode helps). Have to use the native YouTube app (on the TV) to see that video in its glory. It's eye-boggling, something you won't forget in a hurry. Took him 8 months to make that film.

Wouldn’t the lack of curve be a problem?

If you sit to close to it, yes. I'd prefer a curve on my 55" LG OLED, but my display is 3.5 feet away from me, so it's mostly fine. A 48" display wouldn't be much of a problem at this distance, but I like the 55" display just because my eyes are getting old. I also prefer to game in a window, so that further alleviates any issues related to the size in games.

The only thing I don't like is the auto-dimming if the display thinks there's a static image (this can kick in during some mostly static cutscenes in games or when reading B3D). this is something that the Gigabyte display does away with. However, while it is annoying when it happens, I do appreciate that it's there just case there's a potential for long term burn-in.

So far, other than the auto-dimming annoyance, I love this display as much as when I first got it. No buyer's remorse so far. Probably the best 1.4k USD I've spent in the past 20 years.

Regards,
SB

the year 2023 and finally other people starts taking this more seriously (the person behind testufo also chimed in)

still no official respond from microsoft tho

fuck me... got a bunch of dead pixels on top left and right corners. basically my screen now looks like an iPad with curved corners....

extended warranty expired a few months ago....

im fucked

EDIT:
in retrospect, i was insane for choosing an oled tv. i already know my bad luck with electronics. i already know oled is much less durable than LCD. but i still went to OLED...

(...)
in retrospect, i was insane for choosing an oled tv. i already know my bad luck with electronics. i already know oled is much less durable than LCD. but i still went to OLED...
If 60fps games were the norm and 60hz LCD line update was matched to scrolling scanline you would likely be. But now...

Back