Help. Got hit by NVIDIA 12yrs old bug. It keeps doing Chroma Subsampling on TV

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Turns out I really am a magnet for bugs, and anything electronic will be broken. How lucky I am? I mean, I got hit by 12 yrs old bug!

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/34504/hdmi-how-to-disable-/#2737062
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...river-hack-to-fix-chroma-subsampling-on-hdtv/

Nvidia GF panel detected my display as HDTV and keep automatically enabling Chroma subsampling even when i selected RGB or 4:4:4. tested with this image

chroma-444.png

The only solution that currently works: Set HDTV to PC mode, change color to RGB or 4:4:4, then enable game mode. Everything will be fine as long as the GPU didn't reinitialize the display (e.g. switch input, back from sleep, etc)

as any other mode will enable chroma subsampling.

I've tried with other GPU (intel HD and Radeon) and I can have RGB and 4:4:4 working just fine in other TV modes (not just on PC mode).

So you ask, why orangpelupa didn't simply keep the TV in PC mode? Because I bough a cheap and shitty TV. Its TV mode looks horrendous (sharpness thats waaaay too high and can't be lowered, broken black level, desaturated color, too warm white balance)

---

so this is 12 years old bug. Solution? According to that 12 yrs old thread, i need to manually edit the nvidia display driver INF file. Unfortunately that guide is out of date for latest driver.

SOmeone also said to use CRU, but i cant find the option to change "HDTV" identifier to "PC Monitor".

someone else said i could simply use DisplayPort.

Are you sure the card and not the monitor is to blame for the chroma
watch this video go to the 5minute mark for the relevant bit

MOD EDIT: Time Jump to 5 Minute mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
I half expected this to be about your Nvidia card catching fire. Glad to hear it's not that bug.

Lol when Brit said you like to buy the cheapest crap and experience the most obscure problems he wasn't kidding :mrgreen:

Are you sure the card and not the monitor is to blame for the chroma
watch this video go to the 5minute mark for the relevant bit

MOD EDIT: Time Jump to 5 Minute mark.

I've tested the same port the same cable, with the same TV modes on Intel HD and Radeon.

Only happen with Nvidia

I've tested the same port the same cable, with the same TV modes on Intel HD and Radeon.

Only happen with Nvidia

Yup I experience a lot of little bugs with the 1070 that I just don't experience with Intel. Sometimes some of the bugs go away with new drivers. Sometimes they come back with newer drivers. I don't have an AMD GPU to test anymore, but when I had one I didn't have most of these weird little bugs either.

Regards,
SB

That happens to me too, and it sucks.

Yup I experience a lot of little bugs with the 1070 that I just don't experience with Intel. Sometimes some of the bugs go away with new drivers. Sometimes they come back with newer drivers. I don't have an AMD GPU to test anymore, but when I had one I didn't have most of these weird little bugs either.

Regards,
SB

The hilarious thing is that I keep reading its Radeon that's buggy, but they never really specifically mention what's the bugs are.

I guess those are astroturf accounts and I just got fooled by them hahaha.

The reason I decided to switch to NVIDIA was due to its allegedly robust driver and awesome NVENC. But turns out Nvidia GPU is buggy and NVENC also have weird stutter bug in Turing (first report has been since pascal).

Radeon have none of those issues when I used it.

Regards,
SB
there's some hope then, it's not only orang feeling this emptiness because of random bugs. Guess @orangpelupa can sleep well tonight

Back