CONFIRMED: PS3 to use "Nvidia-based Graphics processor&

Status
Not open for further replies.
one said:
Clients (PS3? Cell PC?) require Visualizer from the beginning of the Cell plan

playstation3.gif

I have a funny feeling that they've integrated visualizer and CELL PE's into one common ISA and IC design philosophy with the help of nVidia.

CPU+GPU=CELL

The concept of CPU and GPU doesn't make sense in a CELL world to me anymore and it never really has.

Jaws said:
I have a funny feeling that they've integrated visualizer and CELL PE's into one common ISA and IC design philosophy with the help of nVidia.

CPU+GPU=CELL

The concept of CPU and GPU doesn't make sense in a CELL world to me anymore and it never really has.

My feelings to. The GPU would have to be perfectly integrated withing the CELL architecture in order to take full advantage of it. Like it was said earlier, the current one-way model (CPU -> GPU -> Output) would not be able to do that.

While I won't be back for another 10 hours or so and will be hard pressed to read the rest of the 50 pages this thread will generate by then let me say this now.

I am completely and utterly shocked by this announcement. Not so much by the implications but more about a complete disregard for a rumor that I thought was hogwash. It is the last time I count any rumors out.

I'm also amazed by the amount of companies in on the PS3 and CELL project. CELL might not be the be-all-end-all solution in regards to CPU's but that doesn't mean it's a hell of a lot better than others out there. Sure there are some things that have trouble with paralell processing but those can be worked around.

I guess the hype machine is finally starting for the PS3 and it won't be pretty. I have a big grin on my face as the next generation just got a whole lot more interesting. It just feels so weird that ATI is supplying the GPU for Xenon and now Nvidia are in bed with Sony for the GPU in PS3. I just didn't see htis coming.

WOW!

Is it possible to deduce from SEC filings how much money NVIDIA got from Sony? (If not maybe in the next ones?)

When I read this article regarding this last year, I said to myself " Yeah, that makes a lot of sense... but there's no way it gonna happen - Sony's way too intent on developing their own graphics technology!"

Well. Consider me officially... intrigued. :oops:

Looks like we'll be seeing Unreal Engine 3 games on PS3 sooner than I thought then.

loekf2 said:
Sounds like Nvidia also got an position via Sony towards the STB & TV market, where they were lagging behind ATI.

Yes, it sounds like they could end up picking up royalties for IP used in other devices as well.

Vince said:
Well done 'ROP' -like functionality has been a downside for Sony (Toshiba is a seperate story) for sometime: Graphic Synthesizer, to some extent the PSP. I'd assume there are IP challanges beyond the sheer science of it.

Isn't PS2 basically a bunch of texture samplers and a bunch of ROP's?

Vince said:
I don't see the problems facing Sony based around shading or anything which is more a function of bandwith and computation. Rather, their problems have historically been dealing with the more fixed paradigm of hardwired "features" that existed in, say, the DX7 or even, to a lesser extent, the DX9 class architectures.

So you say, IMO this deal signifies the opposite. We'll have to wait and see what the exact composition of the graphics element is. At this point in time I'd say all the early patent information is not much of an indicator as to the final design of PS3.

Fafalada said:
It sounds likely - although perhaps some kind of cross licensing deal could be involved as well.

That wasn't worded in the PR, and you would expect it to be. However, I've just had this converstation with someone else and I think it will be one to watch for in future developments.

But if you're right this wouldn't be just an customization of a future PC part.

IMO, no. If it is the case that Sony are driving it then its probably going to be a new design (note: "Custom" in the PR) with some/lots of NVIDIA's IP. However, if they do get a back license of tech from Sony to NVIDIA then this could end up shaping their future PC hardware.

Of course, the next thing to consider is if there actually will be future PC hardware!! ;) Thats a joke, but you have to wonder excactly what this is going to do to their relationship with Microsoft. Its been over fairly rocky ground in recent years and they just seemed to be getting it on an even keel with NV40; I wonder how its going to colour the discussions about WGF and beyond now...

They mention royalties, so they will be getting money over time... Of course they will be getting an advance on expenses. But i am pretty sure most of the money Nvidia will make will be from the 10 quid (or whatever it will be) they'll make out of each PS3 sold...

ATI's deal with GC was $3 per Cube and $0.50 per game copy sold. I would expect similar (or less, dependant on the involvement) for this deal.

Getting this amount of official shock and awe in a week for a console with supposedly later launch, it's almost inevitable that we hear detailed official Xenon info very, very soon. Microsoft executives must endure a painfully long, long wait for CES in Jan for a month, though. :)

DaveBaumann said:
I wonder how its going to colour the discussions about WGF and beyond now...
Are there reasons to believe Nvidia is having concrete problems over WGF meetings with Microsoft?

This is HUGE news, but i can't believe some people are really THAT surprised...

I'm not saying i expected this 100%, but it was always strange, there were too many hints, Nvidia's CEO saying PS3 will be a miracle machine, the fact that ATI is going to be in 2 consoles in the next gen but Nvidia wasn't at all... And the silences, the fact that no one knew about the graphics part of PS3 untill... now...

I just knew Sony had something secret in the pipeline, and Nvidia was just the only candidate left.

Huge news, but i'm not too surprised.

Well now even this forum is going to turn into an ATI vs Nvidia battleground, as if we don't get that enough in all the other ones on this site ;)

DaveBaumann said:
ATI's deal with GC was $3 per Cube and $0.50 per game copy sold. I would expect similar (or less, dependant on the involvement) for this deal.

I don't think it's that simple this time. It's pretty clear that Sony's ambition lies in much , much more then just another gaming console. They clearly trying to make it into a multi-purpose home appliance serving all types of function and medias.

london-boy said:
I just knew Sony had something secret in the pipeline, and Nvidia was just the only candidate left.

AFAIK the final choice has been finalized in the last months

I doubt the GPU will be a big departure from their next gen PC architecture if Sony didnt provide them with a huge wad of cash up front (unless all this is mostly a sugarcoated patent licensing deal).

nAo said:
london-boy said:

AFAIK the final choice has been finalized in the last months

No way! From the release, we see that they've been working at it for the last 2 years. A company just wouldn't work for 2 years and spend millions of dollars without a firm contract.

Alejux said:
No way! From the release, we see that they've been working at it for the last 2 years. A company just wouldn't work for 2 years and spend millions of dollars without a firm contract.
Do you believe in press releases? I don't..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back