CONFIRMED: PS3 to use "Nvidia-based Graphics processor&

Status
Not open for further replies.
PiNkY said:
That is what i was refering to. If Sony would incoporate NVidia Ip (i.e. e.g. their next generation ps-units) into a PE they'd certainly talk about it as IP-licensing. This, though, sounds more like NVidia is about to supply a whole discret GPU/VPU/Graphics chip to the system and i do not think (at this point) this means NVidia desgining the whole graphics PE (i.e. gaining access to all Cell IP) as otherwise you'd clearly have that pointed out in their press release (they have got stockholders to treat to after all).

Read the release carefully
The custom GPU will be manufactured at Sony Group's Nagasaki Fab2 as well as OTSS (joint fabrication facility of Toshiba and Sony).

Competition = better hardware = lower prices = everyone happy.

Oh, and 4 pages of posts in like less than half an hour... News of the century...

I found it interesting when JHH was saying "PS3 will be a monster, very hard to compete with" when asked a XBox 2 question in a CC a few quarters back. The fact that they've been working with Sony for over 2 years on the "Next Generation Computer Entertainment System" explains a lot about the weird rumors going around, and why NV didn't actively go after XBox 2 more than they did.

if nvidia would release gfx pc cards with technology borowed from this project, wouldn it also facilate porting from PC for example ?

hey69 said:
if nvidia would release gfx pc cards with technology borowed from this project, wouldn it also facilate porting from PC for example ?

Reading between the lines...I think they're trying to redefine the windows/X86 PC architecture... :oops:

hey69 said:

I wanna see Xbox emulator on PS3 ;)

stop posting this fast people, I have to work also you know, i can't hardly follow as it is. :?

an imho interesting quote from GA's forum:
As correctly assumed by the skeptics here, the two-year number is sleight of hand. As of one year ago, the collaboration between nVidia and Sony was apparently not finalized, and rather was being explored as one of two or more PS3 GPU possibilities. Sony attempted but apparently failed to develop a graphics solution in-house, and as I understand it was approached by nVidia with the suggestion that a competitive solution would require shader and other technologies Sony was ill-equipped to deliver on par with ATI's Xbox2/NR chips.

From what was said by an nVidia insider at the time, Sony's in-house solution was set to be little more than a dramatic polygon count evolution of the PS2's graphics chip, scaled in rough approximation to the PS1-PS2 jump, with relatively few new hardware effects (and perhaps lacking support for emergent display technologies). The theory behind nVidia's discussions with Sony was that the Japanese hardware and software development communities had generally missed the boat on the various next-generation shadowing, texturing, shading, and geometry technologies incorporated into ATI and nVidia chipsets, and consequently had fallen behind Western developers on the software development curve for such features.
According other voices I heard that stuff makes perfectly sense.
Toshiba has been developing its GPU, but it seems NVIDIA won this turn..

ciao,
Marco

Jaws said:
hey69 said:

Reading between the lines...I think they're trying to redefine the windows/X86 PC architecture... :oops:

Well, until Nvidia only supplies GPUs, they're not gonna redefine anything regarding the x86 architecture... ;)
KIDDING, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEANT...

trow in a nice x86 emulotor in ps3 for xbox backwards compatiblity.

can they do that legaly? :)

Well..B3D is being hammered..now I'm just waiting Slashdot to publish the story :)

and Pana's still sleeeping..OMFG :devilish:

Good news for everyone!

On the other hand, guess unlike some who keep defending this issue, now is all but confirm Sony admitting their graphics technology aint up to scratch against the best.

At least now, i feel much safer getting good Sony PQ finally!

pahcman said:
On the other hand, guess unlike some who keep defending this issue, now is all but confirm Sony admitting their graphics technology aint up to scratch against the best.

And that Cell isn't the be all and end all of all types of processing... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back