Car advice

DiGuru said:
No Opel Vectra for me. I don't like them and everyone drives one.

A Mazda 6 might work, it's the most popular lease car at our company at the moment (the cheapest variant). Hm.
Since its a lease, I wouldn't be too concerned, but I owned a mazda before and the reliability wasn't the greatest (it left me stranded several times)

Its front wheel drive, but the 6 does have quite a bit of power. Its also styled very nicely (IMHO).

Perhaps an AWD Golf? A speedy one is an option as well if you are willing to give up the AWD. I did exactly that when I bought my GTI over a WRX back in 2002 and it is treating me quite well, athough I quite likely would have gotten the slower AWD version if that was an option in the US.

Also check out the R32 Golf to see the car that I may not be able to restrain myself from when they become avalable here. ;)

Far out you are getting ripped off for car prices. Typical EU, over-regulated to death and taxed to death rofl.
A brand new Subaru WRX(not STI version) here is around 50,000NZ, which is about 25000 Euros, or just under.
Subarus are the cheapest bang for the buck here as well.
VW GOLF GTI AWD would be nice too, but I have heard the newer models are a bit heavy and not as good. Can not remember the model but SEAT make a really nice turboed shopping trolley as well.

I don't see much of Seat as they don't import them here, but I'm guessing they are bound to be around the same weight as a Golf as they are built out of the same chassis design? Granted, it's fans of the classic Rabbit design that do most of the complaining about the weight on the new one. Personally, how solid the card is built was the deciding factor that lead my to choose my GTI over the WRX.

DiGuru said:
Yes, but you have to pay a quite hefty tax when you import a car from another EU country. We have a special car tax of 40%, for starters.
:oops: Are the 40% the whole tax? Or do you have to add 'normal' VAT as well?
But OTOH that tax should be the same as with cars bought in your country (assuming your from the Netherlands), wouldn't it? (I don't think customs-like taxes between countries in the EU would be allowed...)
So if the net price of the car of your choice is significantly lower somewhere else in the EU, it still could be a win.

As for car suggestions:

Well, if it has to be AWD, the Impreza is probably as good as it gets regarding price/performance ratio. (I just compared it with the VW Golf 4motion*) - some quite hefty price differences...)

*)Edit: Of course, this was just a price comparison - facts like better resale value or lower consumption might justify the price difference. But still, e.g. a difference of €3.500.- between the Impreza 2.0R and the Sportline 2.0 FSI 4motion is nothing to be sneezed at...

You could have a look at Skoda, but I'm afraid they only deliver AWD with their Octavia Combi - and the design is...well, not to everyone's taste. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after a serious night's research playing NFSU I have to recomend a Mazda Miata with a few major performance modifications... ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Well after a serious night's research playing NFSU I have to recomend a Mazda Miata with a few major performance modifications... ;)

"major performance modifications" ... such as ...

This

3.3 million pounds of thrust. Will take a car family from 0 to Mach 60 in less time time than it takes to say

SSSHHHHHHEEEEEEAAAAAATTTT!!!!1eleven!!

The most exciting, fastest, and last two minutes of your life. You know it makes sense! :cool:

RussSchultz said:
Since its a lease, I wouldn't be too concerned, but I owned a mazda before and the reliability wasn't the greatest (it left me stranded several times)

Actually, I'm not sure if the US models are different then the EU ones. Mazda has officially been the most reliable brand after Toyota in the last decade or so here.

DiGuru, can you squeeze an RX8 in? :D There is also a turboed 4wd version of the Mazda6 though I have no idea on availability or price.

Kyleb, thats quite funny that you mention solidness of your car as important, considering Subaru has higher quality marks than VW and also score above VW in crash testing(2nd only to Volvo AFAIK).

With regards to Toyota models, you have to be careful in some countries, as the US was getting pwned by the Japanese car companies so Clinto threw a hissy fit in around 92-93 and said you will take these GM cars and sell them in Japan and elsewhere as Toyotas and you will like it or we will tax/tariff/quota the fuck out of your Lexus cars. E.g Toyota Cavalier(and a total piece of shit car.)

xxx, are Mazda above Honda for for quality in the EU? Afaik Honda has actually scored a little higher on avg than Toyota for the last couple of years. Mazda6 series is nice tho, made some much better cars since they went solo on their own platform instead of sharing with Ford.

Still cant get over the cost of your cars tho, the 25000 Euro equivalent in NZ also includes in that price a 12.5% GST/VAT.

Well it was mostly decided between Toyota, Mazda and Honda in the top three ranks. In the last few years, Mercedes, BMW and Audi became much better and got some of the top rankings last 2-3 years.

EDIT: Our Toyotas are developed and produced in the EU, Netherlands AFAICR. Shouldn't have any similarities to the US models.

DiGuru said:
the simplest one is the Saab 9-3, and that is in the same price range as the 350Z.

Can't be. Top-end 9-5's may be in that price range, but 9-3 is about half of that. Although, it's nowadays technically an Opel Vectra with more personality.

hey69 said:
BMW320D , Audi A4 typical lease car in belgium and guess also in the Netherlands
Yes, they're relatively cheap to lease, but I don't like them (I value technology and great driving over status) and as you said, that's what everyone else drives.

kyleb said:
Perhaps an AWD Golf? A speedy one is an option as well if you are willing to give up the AWD. I did exactly that when I bought my GTI over a WRX back in 2002 and it is treating me quite well, athough I quite likely would have gotten the slower AWD version if that was an option in the US.

Also check out the R32 Golf to see the car that I may not be able to restrain myself from when they become avalable here. ;)
Yes, but they are more expensive than a comparable Impreza, and I like those better. And I don't fit in the group of people who most often buy one. ;)

Snyder said:
:oops: Are the 40% the whole tax? Or do you have to add 'normal' VAT as well?
Unfortunately, yes. The total tax is 60%...

But OTOH that tax should be the same as with cars bought in your country (assuming your from the Netherlands), wouldn't it? (I don't think customs-like taxes between countries in the EU would be allowed...)
So if the net price of the car of your choice is significantly lower somewhere else in the EU, it still could be a win.
Yes, I'm from the Netherlands. But on average, the cars over here are just a bit cheaper than in the other countries, if you add the tax.

As for car suggestions:

Well, if it has to be AWD, the Impreza is probably as good as it gets regarding price/performance ratio. (I just compared it with the VW Golf 4motion*) - some quite hefty price differences...)

*)Edit: Of course, this was just a price comparison - facts like better resale value or lower consumption might justify the price difference. But still, e.g. a difference of €3.500.- between the Impreza 2.0R and the Sportline 2.0 FSI 4motion is nothing to be sneezed at...

You could have a look at Skoda, but I'm afraid they only deliver AWD with their Octavia Combi - and the design is...well, not to everyone's taste. :)
Yes, exactly. So that still leaves the Impreza as best buy.

Blitzkrieg said:
DiGuru, can you squeeze an RX8 in? :D There is also a turboed 4wd version of the Mazda6 though I have no idea on availability or price.
An RX8 is just as expensive as an Impreza WRX STi or a Nissan 350Z. ;)

And only the cheapest Mazda6 models are cheaper than an Impreza 2.0R.

Kyleb, thats quite funny that you mention solidness of your car as important, considering Subaru has higher quality marks than VW and also score above VW in crash testing(2nd only to Volvo AFAIK).
Exactly. And AutoWeek, a major car magazine here in Europe does a consumer satisfaction review each year, and for the last fifteen years Subaru won that eleven times. While they have only something like 1% or less of the total market. And Toyota is most often second and Honda third, while the big brands over here (Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Opel, Peugeot, Renault etc.) aren't even in the top-five.

xxx, are Mazda above Honda for for quality in the EU? Afaik Honda has actually scored a little higher on avg than Toyota for the last couple of years. Mazda6 series is nice tho, made some much better cars since they went solo on their own platform instead of sharing with Ford.
AFAIK, Honda scores better, but I don't know by how much. xxx might know that.

_xxx_ said:
Our Toyotas are developed and produced in the EU, Netherlands AFAICR. Shouldn't have any similarities to the US models.
They were produced here, but nowadays that factory is only producing Mitshubishi.

Back