Capcom's Deep Down

I can assure everyone that PS4's Specs are capable of rendering it in Real Time whether 1080p or not, What's really the thing that makes this look like CG is that the game is so fluid and smooth, I'm guessing Capcom made a VERY BIG animation instead of having individual animations like we see in ACTUAL GAMES, Gameplay is fake = Confirmed.

Japanese devs going to come back full force next gen I think. Luminous, Fox Engine, whatever Tri Ace has got, and now Panta Rhei...

The East is always cooking up crazy shit in terms of art and game worlds. And now they'll be able to better realize it this time.

This x1000.

I am really excited to see how Japan reaches us this generation. I want to see what Deep Down can achieve, but also how Atlus and other publishers will meet next generation. I hope they come head on and are able to produce creative titles easily and affordably. Everything about last generation tells me most Japanese developers had a hard time bringing their ideas forward... for whatever reason.

CAPCOM has proved to be the most proficient of all the publishers in Japan last generation I think. I really hope Panta Rhei does just as well for them, but also that Konami's FOX Engine and Square Enix's Luminous Engine can pave the way clear for bringing Japanese flavour back to gaming.

I think these guys were sorely missed from the last generation for the most part. I want to hear sooner than later that Japanese developers have gotten a grasp of the tools and are ready to take on the West again...

Ono said in Japanese that the game was running on the new engine on the PS4. Could mean real-time gameplay or just a tech demo.

This x1000.

I am really excited to see how Japan reaches us this generation. I want to see what Deep Down can achieve, but also how Atlus and other publishers will meet next generation. I hope they come head on and are able to produce creative titles easily and affordably. Everything about last generation tells me most Japanese developers had a hard time bringing their ideas forward... for whatever reason.

CAPCOM has proved to be the most proficient of all the publishers in Japan last generation I think. I really hope Panta Rhei does just as well for them, but also that Konami's FOX Engine and Square Enix's Luminous Engine can pave the way clear for bringing Japanese flavour back to gaming.

I think these guys were sorely missed from the last generation for the most part. I want to hear sooner than later that Japanese developers have gotten a grasp of the tools and are ready to take on the West again...

Atlus is a small developer/publisher that relies mostly on handheld for revenue nowadays. It's not gonna fully embrace a generation of hardware that will likely require 15 million per game budgets at bare minimum if you want a pretty game...

Ono said in Japanese that the game was running on the new engine on the PS4. Could mean real-time gameplay or just a tech demo.

I get the feeling that it is all in engine, but that it is not gameplay and is more like GT5 when it does a replay.

Although, this is a new console using a superb engine; i wish capcom would be more specific. :???:

This x1000.

I would love to see the new engine of Tri-Ace.
They have been one of the forerunners on physically-based shading models and high quality post processing.
http://research.tri-ace.com/

I get the feeling that it is all in engine, but that it is not gameplay and is more like GT5 when it does a replay.

Although, this is a new console using a superb engine; i wish capcom would be more specific. :???:

Yeah seems realtime as you can see shimering a bit ahead of the camera for shadows and polygons. That or inengine pre-recorded. What looked odd was the weapons bar at the bottom left screen which changed object or feature yet I din't catch the "player" character do anything in response to it.

it was just an overlay UI did simulate gameplay. i don't think Capcom intended for anyone to think it was actual gameplay, just real time footage for what they wanted the game to look like playing it

Yeah seems realtime as you can see shimering a bit ahead of the camera for shadows and polygons. That or inengine pre-recorded. What looked odd was the weapons bar at the bottom left screen which changed object or feature yet I din't catch the "player" character do anything in response to it.

Holy shit you live!

Go and start tweaking Crysis 3!

Japanese devs going to come back full force next gen I think. Luminous, Fox Engine, whatever Tri Ace has got, and now Panta Rhei...

The East is always cooking up crazy shit in terms of art and game worlds. And now they'll be able to better realize it this time.

They realized it this gen as well. Western devs, gamers and journalists in particular were just a little too in love with themselves to pay attention I'm afraid.

The ones who got a bit lost in the transition were all the small and medium-sized studios, and I really doubt you'll be hearing any more from them on the PS4.

They realized it this gen as well. Western devs, gamers and journalists in particular were just a little too in love with themselves to pay attention I'm afraid.

The ones who got a bit lost in the transition were all the small and medium-sized studios, and I really doubt you'll be hearing any more from them on the PS4.

Capcom did alright for themselves with MT Framework. But Konami and without question Square lagged badly, having to outsource or take ages to release anything.. especially the mainline titles.

Sega really needs to ramp up their dated engine they keep using for Yakuza though.

What particularly noteworthy things did Konami do last gen besides Metal Gear? We still have that, and it's still great. We also have Platinum games doing stuff that's excellent in both gameplay and tech. Square is a little slower than usual, but let's not forget that it took them half a decade to release FFXII on the PS2 as well. Sega actually made the first decent Sonic game in ages, the Yakuza games are still pretty good, and there's even some new stuff like the surprisingly good Binary Domain.
From software made the two best rpgs of an entire hardware generation, and Capcom of all companies released a ballsy new IP in Dragon's Dogma at the tail end of the hardware generation.

I think the Japanese are doing just fine. That they cannot match the sheer output volume of two major continents shouldn't be all that surprising.

Exactly, one mainline Metal Gear so far is pretty bad. Fox Engine should and is supposed to be used Konami wide. Not to mention Square with the ridiculous Versus situation. Capcom like I said did alright in comparison.

Sure they're still releasing stuff but it's taking too long. More releases = more chances for higher ROI. Also the quality is still mostly kind of poor, technically speaking. All the titles you listed have some kind of jank or IQ issues on one or more platforms. Should be much better ongoing I think.

I'll gladly take a bit of jank if it means more games that weren't designed by commitee. Besides, major hitters like Sykrim, GTA and Mass Effect suffer from plenty of jank as well. The Uncharteds of this world are not the rule. They are the exception I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, if the next gen can eradicate technical deficiencies I'm of course all for it, but first and foremost I'm still a gamer and not a fanatic pixel counter. and as far as quality games are concerned, Japan delivered some pretty outstanding stuff this gen.

Agreed, both sides have their jank.. but I'm not implying West > East. Actually, most of the titles I own/played on consoles are Jpn made, not counting downloadable stuff. I probably even have more of a preference for their franchises overall. They should be able to ramp up better next gen which is promising.

Funny they did not mention how the fire clips through the pilar on the first fire breathing scene. I could be wrong, but that pillar looks pretty solid to me and everytime I see footage I feel like that stream of fire going through the middle of the pilar shouldn't really be there. Maybe the pilar has a shaft but I never saw that. The pointing out of the DOF artifacts does make me less skeptical so far though. Until now I had a feeling this was CG with AA turned off and some cliping left uncorrected to artifitially make it look like gameplay, but all those dof articats look very consoly.

The new Metal Gear Ground Zero game does look amazing, although it's not made in Japan as far as I know.

Back