Capcom Onimusha 3 LOD engine

maskrider

Henshin !
Veteran
Capcom is hyping the graphics engine on PS2 as the one to provide even higher grade graphics (well, may be comparing to other Capcom games)

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20030911/oni3.htm

The engine will switch model depending on the situation (lower poly when more enemies or viewing farther away).

Hi detail models
on14.jpg

on12.jpg

Low detail models
on15.jpg

on13.jpg

But even with this engine, I think the game was pretty much the same as the previous 2.

But I think I will be buying it for completeness and the main actor - Takeshi, I hope there is no Onimusha 4 if they keep playing with similar stuffs.

I think it would be great to have algorythms that given a DL would expand the number of polys by just taking as parameter distance to the camera. Perhaps nowadays that needs a lot of computational cost but it would be great I think.
Specially for architectures like the PC where the use of the bus is severally penalized (slow bus) and makes you relief on the RAM of the graphics card. There you could make hardware - built this algorythm and only have one DL for each character or element, and not tons of them to treat the different LODs.

maybe its just me but to me this looks identical to the previous 2 and I found both of them very unintersting.

That would be quite impressive actually, as the first two parts had prerendered backgrounds....

I think many games already use a similiar system, otherwise not only would performance lag (bus congestion, overloading of transform and tri-setup units) but also if the models which were used up close were the same as those used further out then those in the background would have horrible aliasing/shimmering. Think of those ancient games without mip-map pyramids. :oops:

As for this being high cost, seeing as how this is seemingly a per-mesh operation one would only have to perform it once per object per frame, so I doubt it would be that expensive to determine the distance from our model to the view frustrum.

jvd said:
pc games have been doing this for years. I don't see what the big deal is.

I am not helping the hype, just that the guys seem to think that they are doing something special, may be special to Capcom's Onimusha team (they are 2.2D - yes less than 2.5D - graphics to me).

May be the problem is with impress watch, well. That's why I said I hope there is no Onimusha 4 if they keep on doing the same thing over and over. Even the high detail model is nothing spectacular (sorry that it will be released way way after SH3), let alone the low detail model.

marconelly! said:
But even with this engine, I think the game was pretty much the same as the previous 2.
We can only wish for that, considering the first two had pre-rendered backgrounds and this one is fully 3D :p

I mean game play. Onimusha has always have very restrictive gameplay.

Well, that lighting system does look really nice

I must disagree. I mucg prefered the combat in Onimusha to other action games of it's kind so far. That included DMC and Shinobi. Combat system in Onimusha just feels less forced and more though-out to me. Sure you can't jump and walk on the walls, but that doesn't make the gameplay any worse, IMO.

marconelly! said:
Well, that lighting system does look really nice

I must disagree. I mucg prefered the combat in Onimusha to other action games of it's kind so far. That included DMC and Shinobi. Combat system in Onimusha just feels less forced and more though-out to me. Sure you can't jump and walk on the walls, but that doesn't make the gameplay any worse, IMO.

I hate the fixed view of the arenas, just like all the Resident Evil games, if this one change that it will be better.

Back