Unreal Engine 3 on R420 at GDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvidia would never 'cheat' would they...

If you recall correctly, the only reason why nVidia cheated in the first place was because their hardware sucked so bad that they were forced to cheat...

And if you take a minute to think about things, you'll realize...

1. According to specs of each card, the R420 and NV40 should be VERY close to each other in terms of performance, with NV40 edging out the R420... Of course this IS only on paper. And with everything but a confirmation (is vegetta a credible enough source to in fact consider it confirmed) that nVidia has redone AA methods, this is even more of a reason to assume that WITHOUT cheats, nVidia should be on solid ground with ATi.

2. Considering the two cards apparently perform around each other, it definitely leads me to believe that the NV40 is NOT cheating, because if there were cheats, the damn thing would be MUCH faster than the R420, not hovering around it... I will say however, that it is way too early to tell whether or not nVidia will be satisfied with a legitimate small lead over ATi or force an illegitimate big lead over ATi.

Joe DeFuria said:
Evildeus said:
The fact is Epic actively and officially advertises on behalf of nVidia, and not ATI. There is no debate about this.
:rolleyes: Do you know that Nv paid more than Ati to be able to do so? :?: That's how you do to have adds, in case you don't know.

Sabastian said:
Doomtrooper made a good point regarding TWIMTBP, TRAOD and developers advertising the highest paying IHV on there games. TWIMTBP clearly does suggest that "this software runs better on these varieties of cards" it comes off as a major approval to the ignorant. These advertising dollars are big bucks though and it would really be silly too turn them down even if the endorsement is for inferior hardware. End users who have no clue and do not read B3D ( ;) ) might well believe based on the advertising support that indeed... "I need nvidia based hardware to enjoy this game the best, even the developer says so."

No, I do not think he made a good point at all. Once again, he is comparing last generation hardware to new generation hardware believing that the only reason games will perform decently is once again, because of cheats. By this I assume nVidia has designed an extremely powerful and complex chip simply for the hell of it since it by default can't perform much faster than the NV38 anyways since it's still going to need tons of cheats to be competitive. Nonetheless, that wasn't even the point I was going to make. To be short and sweet... By Doomtrooper's logic:

R350 defeating NV35 in HL 2 benchmarks = Valve is a great developer, and ATi has superior hardware.

NV40 defeating R420 in new Unreal Engine = Epic is a sell out, and R420 is the superior hardware, despite the fact that you know just about nothing about either card.

Sad, but it is apparently true.

Evildeus said:
:rolleyes: Do you know that Nv paid more than Ati to be able to do so? :?: That's how you do to have adds, in case you don't know.

As we all know, the TWIMTBP program invlolves more than 'ads' including not allowing cards certain visuals base off device ID detection..even though it is more than capable.

surfhurleydude said:
No, I do not think he made a good point at all.

Oh, I beg too differ. Nothing wrong with pointing out potential bias might be bought and paid for. I am not saying one way or the other though if it is the case or not but clearly the multi million dollar advertisement deal Epic has with nvidia is pertinent. Just saying.

Doomtrooper said:
Evildeus said:

As we all know, the TWIMTBP program invlolves more than 'ads' including not allowing cards certain visuals base off device ID detection..even though it is more than capable.
Sorry i don't know (i don't have TWIMTBP games :D ) so educate me ;)

Re: Mark Rein

Come on, people.
If you're going to assert someone's right to say something misrepresentative, allow someone some reasonable right to be offended by it! You can disagree with someone without crucifying them for swearing (come on, now, he even apologized for it, and the swearing was directed at the statements) and being defensive of something they do for a living. :oops:

surfhurleydude said:
1. According to specs of each card, the R420 and NV40 should be VERY close to each other in terms of performance, with NV40 edging out the R420... Of course this IS only on paper.

I wasn't aware of the official specs being available. Could you post a link?

Laa-Yosh said:
surfhurleydude said:
1. According to specs of each card, the R420 and NV40 should be VERY close to each other in terms of performance, with NV40 edging out the R420... Of course this IS only on paper.

I wasn't aware of the official specs being available. Could you post a link?

No official specs, but just specs that are generally accepted to be true.

Accepted to be true only on nvnews

Well, I beg to differ, since the only true generally accepted specs for the NV40 have generated from primarily this forum ALONE and inquirer...

However, if you would like to consider the specs to be true only on NVnews, then I assume the R420 specs are true only on Rage 3D... It goes both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back