3dfx Rampage ;)

Yeah ;-) They didn't solve it, because the chip had so low power demand, that AGP slot was more than sufficient. Final board was planned to lack the power connector and use different memory modules (DDR SDRAM instead of DDR SGRAM). The small alu block was sufficient for cooling.

No wonder... There were some issues with the socket, proper tools must be used to achieve decent functionality:

ramp_t1.jpg

ramp_t2.jpg

No wonder... There were some issues with the socket, proper tools must be used to achieve decent functionality:

Now THAT's a heatsink retension bracket! :D Intel should look and learn, push-pins don't cut the mustard.

Just thought I'd update this thread- A new dongle has been built for this Rampage board and in the process of working on drivers.

Gary

Nice, I remember eagerly waiting for this to finish and hit retail. Unfortunately 3dfx went belly up before it could happen.

Regards,
SB

The game plan here is to get DirectX up and running proper and worry about OpenGL through any number of wrappers like Sage or TitaniumGL.

3dfx work logs indicate they had DX8 up and running well, the problem is I don't have access to those drivers... just some alphas that were floating around the 'net.

Still work has just started, anything can happen ;-)

BTW- There are a few running Rampage boards out there, I'm working with two other owners to get things rolling.

Gary

Its strange that they still had the 256 max texture limitation,
thats a bad thing surely 3dfx wernt that short sighted

Gary that is very cool. Thanks for dropping by and posting. I can't wait to see the progress with this. :)

Does it have any working Glide support?

Oops. Please excuse my ignorance. :)

As far as I know it was a clean sheet design though some aspects of the 2D core were lifted from Banshee/Voodoo 3. That is I suspect one reason the drivers I have have earmarks of being lifted from Voodoo 3 and are not always accurate for this reason.

Back