Can adwords be blocked?

Guden Oden

Legend
Certain big-name sites (and also not so big) whore out almost every bit of text on their site (only excepting forum posts and the like), where random words are marked with double lines or such, and when the mouse pointer is passed over it, a big-ass tooltip with links and shit in it appears immediately, unlike normal tooltips that you have to actually pause over for a second or two before they appear. Then when you click at the spot where the link you actually wanted to reach, the ad pops up a new window with more advertisement shit in it when you accidentally click the tooltip instead of your link. GAHH.

Like I would buy anything from some random company that buys the use of every instance of the word "network" for example, or "operating system" on a website... :rolleyes: A big fuckoff ought to go to the people who came up with this idea and maintains it, preferably in the form of a cattleprod up the ass or similar, but since that's not feasible I'd settle with just not having to watch that crap appear on my screen in the first place.

Any ideas, anyone?

There's an adblock extension in Firefox where you can specify keywords to block out. The page also seems to load a tad faster without all those stupid highlighting.

Add the servers to your .hosts file with localhost as the IP. I don't like blocking adverts on many sites I visit, but those in-text-link-look-alike ads simply has to go.

digitalwanderer said:
What's Maxthon? (I promise, I never ignore tips!)

http://www.maxthon.com (very potent browser). Uses the IE engine as GO seems to prefer. Version 2 is in the works and will be completly rebuilt and sooo much better. I have some insight into the development of it and have tested the GUI idea for the new one. It's different from any browser out there I can promise you that :)

carpediem said:
one only need to block access to the domain that has *intellitxt* in it.
*.vibrantmedia.com/* has to go as well, and the same company have started using other hostnames as well. There are also a couple of other companies selling the same 'scervice' (edit: I also kill *.kontera.com/*), but Vibrant Media and their IntelliTXT have by far the most sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, thanks for the tips guys. :) I really should have tried out maxthon by now, but I'm very forgetful and absentminded. Besides, I surf a lot less these days (WoW keeps stealing my free time)...

Just in case you try the HOSTS file approach, keep in mind that firefox/mozilla had issues with that in earlier versions (I don't know if it's still happening).
I'm aware that you aren't considering switching over but, just in case.... :D

Back