Call of Duty : Modern Warfare - Screenshots ...

One thing I noticed in the cod4 video is your comrades yelling sounds seemed lifted straight from previous COD's..which I dont like.

Tap In said:
... oh and it's PRE-Alpha

Yea...

Anyways, saw the 60fps vid. Pretty slick. Can't wait to see more. The character movements are very nice (no sliding). It kinda felt like it could be Terminator 2, in the future; I like the art direction.

The giant smoke cloud looks nice from one angle, but that's it... it's when the camera starts turning that it reminds me of 2.5D games where dead bodies on the ground just track your screen. Whether or not they'll change that for performance reasons... *shrug*

It looks ok. I most definitely don't think this is super impressive. Does it look good? Yep. But lots of games looke good. A few make you go wow and this isn't one of them at all.

I tried a few more screencaps of the gametrailers video to capture the Killzone feel. As I realized my first screen has very far off soldiers. BTW, I really love the new gametrailers, it's basically youtube easy now. BTW, I tried to cherry pick impressive shots, although not all that hard.

Close soldiers:

image4lp7.jpg

Running animation:

image5tt6.jpg

image6go8.jpg

I really think this captures the Killzone feel. It's clearly inferior, but if we can get to 60 or 70%, I think that's very impressive.

The other thing is how much the yardstick has moved. At the beginning of this gen I think this footage would have blown people's minds. It's just that we've seen enough incremental impovements in the meanwhile (Assasins Creed, Mass Effect, etc etc etc etc) that some people now think this is unimpressive.

Just keep in mind that IGN called this game more graphically impressive than Gears of War.

I would rather they focus on the looks than 60 FPS though. Go all out.

Yeah, 30fps is fine by me, its not a particularly fast paced shooter, 30fps + maybe a little blur should be good enough. Had no complains at framerate with R6:V for example.

Why does people call this pre-alpha footage thought.

Isn't alpha by definition the first build tested to run? Atleast thats how the term is used at Funcom. This is gameplay, thus, it has to be atleast alpha footage.

Yeah, 30fps is fine by me, its not a particularly fast paced shooter, 30fps + maybe a little blur should be good enough. Had no complains at framerate with R6:V for example.

Isn't alpha by definition the first build tested to run? Atleast thats how the term is used at Funcom. This is gameplay, thus, it has to be atleast alpha footage.

I figure they're trying to oversell how early it is.

A) Avoid any criticism "It's pre-alpha", after all.

B) Make gullible people think it will be that much more amazing in final: "Wow, it looks great and imagine, it's only pre-alpha!".

Just a marketing trick. I think you should do Alpha and Beta, pre-Alpha is going too far..

of course the smoke is moving, after all why would it not be, compared to what else is going on in the scene its a simple thing to do.
anyways whats this fixation with smoke in killzone2, ie when ppl answer to 'why isnt killzone2 achiveable' heaps of ppl reply, 'the smoke'. WTF
pretty nice graphics, gameplay though looks like a run of the mill shooter, the genres stagnating

I like run of the mill shooters with pretty graphics :oops:

Prey was a perfect example. Come home from work or just want a distraction for a couple hours on the weekend. Boot it up, shoot some stuff for a while and relax a little.

For software, alpha means feature-complete, anything significantly earlier is called pre-alpha.

bwahahahah!
emo-roffles.gif

That pic is too priceless :LOL:

If Killzone looks similar (or slighty better) than that, i'll be content. Its not close to the CG, but the look and feel is there and thats good enough :D

As for COD4, looks very cool! A must buy for me this holiday.

Even the running animation is almost exactly the same. And there is a helicopter that falls down and explodes. Reminds too much of that Killzone. And to be honest for a few fractions of a second I thought I was watching at CGI. Then I noticed it was in game :LOL:

Given that this is certainly an "early" build, it seems safe to assume there isn't much in the way of optimizations....Now let's all collectively cross our fingers that they can free-up enough resources to start adding better textures and additional eye-candy... ;)

new short multiplayer vid from charlieoscardelta.com

http://www.charlieoscardelta.com/sitedata/fanbase/cod4/v2/ModernWarfare_LastStand_High.zip

and screen

http://www.charlieoscardelta.com/sitedata/fanbase/cod4/v2/ModernWarfare_LastStand_1000.jpg

detailing last stand feature

Last week's Lace Report mentioned Perks - a new function in multiplayer that allows players to customize their online character with their own personal style of combat. This week, we reveal Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare's first Perk: LAST STAND.

With Last Stand, you’ll get one last ditch effort to continue the fight before you bleed out, or take another lethal hit. When you customize your class with Last Stand, or choose a default class which has it, anytime you’re taken down, you’ll fall to the ground and instantly pull out your side arm.

While in Last Stand, you’ll be firing your side arm from the ground with one hand. Putting up one final last stand against the enemy before you bleed out, or they put one final round into you.

To give you a little glimpse into exactly what it’s like to be in Last Stand, we jumped into multiplayer and took a screenshot and some video of the perk in action.

looks hot once again.

It still confuses me to this day why these military shooter games don't have co-op. What's the deal with that :?:

new twist to dying in multiplayer

damn this game looks hot.... 60FPS and sweet graphics and based on CoD2 MP's gameplay, which was awesome... I'm expecting great things here. :D

Quote:
Last week's Lace Report mentioned Perks - a new function in multiplayer that allows players to customize their online character with their own personal style of combat. This week, we reveal Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare's first Perk: LAST STAND.

With Last Stand, you’ll get one last ditch effort to continue the fight before you bleed out, or take another lethal hit. When you customize your class with Last Stand, or choose a default class which has it, anytime you’re taken down, you’ll fall to the ground and instantly pull out your side arm.

While in Last Stand, you’ll be firing your side arm from the ground with one hand. Putting up one final last stand against the enemy before you bleed out, or they put one final round into you.

To give you a little glimpse into exactly what it’s like to be in Last Stand, we jumped into multiplayer and took a screenshot and some video of the perk in action.
holy crap video Shifty ;) HD MOV zip file...

HD at GT
SD at GT

Most promising 2007 pure FPS multiplayer (Console 512 MB RAM!) to date IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Good video demonstrating the chaotic battlefield like prevous CoD titles. I hope the developers make full use of the SPUs because they are well suited to exactly this situation. The graphics aspect looks good and doable on both HD gaming platforms.

IMHO, the trailer does remind me of that Killzone video. To meet the high standard... Other than matching the visual fidelity, they will also need convincing visual communication between the NPCs and the player during fight scenes, plus unexpected turns or "Holy Sh*" events. I'm sure the designers will keep their own surprises in this game, so here's some more waiting.

Meanwhile, I am glad they took Resistance's "Shooting through wall" feature. For those who haven't played, it's an interesting twist to the gameplay (plus adds more tension and realism). Coupled with the level design, "Augering" (That's "shooting through walls" for you folks :) ) can be a big win. It is satisfying because it meant the player has anticipated enemies' moves (especially real players) correctly in battle conditions.

CoD3 met Gears of War and Resistance:Fall of Men the last round. CoD4 will need to surface something unique and compelling in round 2 (When is it releasing ?). I look forward to their "second" try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shooting through certain doors/boxes/walls/etc added a layer of awesomeness to counter strike, and it looks just as fun in CoD:MW. I used to hate shooting through walls, but counter strike changed my opinion for some reason.

Back