Business aspects of Subscription Game Libraries [Xbox GamePass, PSNow]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by iroboto, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Metal_Spirit

Regular Newcomer

I would suspect the clients more atracted to Gamepass would be the big whales. Gamepass would allow for substantial savings, without loosing games. So, this would represent losses.
    Overall, I do agree with your points.

#661 Metal_Spirit, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  2. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

But...,but....,but...., I thought gamepass wasn't profitable

Johnny Awesome, DSoup and PSman1700 like this.
  3. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

as me and others have addressed this is comparing ppl with gamepass vs ppl without pass, thus as initial subscribers are more likely to be hardcore their stats will most likely spend/play more. Its like comparing someone who brought a xbox day one vs someone who got one at xmas 4 years later and see who on average spends more money/time on the thing, well duh. :)
    To answer the question is it profitable? well you can say with near certainty it is not at present, but I don't think anyone thought it would be now, like all these things their plan is long term, first grow the userbase as quick as possible incurring a lose along the way and then in future try to profit from users once the userbase is a lot bigger.
    FWIW Spotify which has 155 million paying users, $10 a month, but still lost -€300million in 2020.

4. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Last July, Microsoft said GamePass is "not a big profit play". Which suggests it is at least profitable. Since then Phil Spencer has spoken about the economics of Xbox and Game Pass, often in the context of their Zenimax acquisition, and what he has said leans on GamePass not being where Microsoft want it. But it's a new business model and may take some iterative changes to get to the level of profitability they deem acceptable. It took Amazon ten years to turn a profit, and Netflix have re-invented their model completely (dropping physical media) and iterated on how they obtain content, which now includes a huge amount of in-house content.

Johnny Awesome likes this.
  5. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

talking of subscription models, they hired experienced people on the matter as of recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheapchips likes this.
  6. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

Yeah, it's like "people that switch to (car insurance company) save money". Well, of course. If you have car insurance, and you call around and everyone else is more expensive, you aren't going to switch. Unless there is some other motivating factor, but even then, if it's more expensive, you probably just stay.

Also, there is no variables listed. They spend 20% more per month? Over a lifetime? Certainly not per game, because they play more games and get discounts on more.

I think half of Gamepass' business model is to have non-gamepass subscribers buy games. Online services for consoles are essentially social media at this point. You have status updates in the form of activity feeds, and you can see what your friends are playing. If, for example, all of your friends are playing State of Decay and you want to join them, you may just buy the game without getting gamepass. Some people are just opposed to subscriptions, and they will make choices that don't make long term or even short term financial sense like that. This activity is what developers are citing when they talk about getting a sales bump by putting a game on gamepass. MS gets a cut of those sales, also, of course. So the true revenue of gamepass is subs + related sales, which is a hard number to quantify, but I would imagine that gamepass is significantly more valuable than it is profitable. And it's model of adding and removing games but notifying users before removal and pushing sales for those games gives it a higher possibility for profitability than something like Spotify which offers a 100% library with no real possibility additional revenue.

7. CrLf

Yes but where does the extra 20 percent end up? How much is game pass again?

8. goonergaz

Veteran

Ah stats without context is pointless.

We've been over this time and time again, technically I “spend more money and time gaming and playing new genres I would never touch because of game pass*”, why? Because I get free money.

So I get my free money and guess where I spend that free money....

*context is that I play for 30 seconds then delete the game

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

This is huge. It's also why only playing 2 games a year on Game Pass is break even for me in terms of cost. I'm spending 120 USD a year (PC Game Pass), so if I just play 2 launch titles a year, then that is the equivalent if I bought those games. Everything after that is FREE games for me.

The whales don't care about how much money they spend. They are whales because they make so much money that they have literally no way to spend all the money that they make. Since I play quite a few F2P games, I've met quite a few whales, and the money the spend (in some cases 100,000+ USD a year on 1 game, but usually closer to the 1,000-10,000 USD range) is just a drop in the bucket to them. It's pocket change. It's quite literally worth as much to them as a quarter (0.25 USD) is worth to me in terms of total personal wealth and income.

To put that into more perspective, in terms of relative wealth (income and savings) buying a 60 USD game to them is like me being able to buy a game for less than 0.001 USD.

Or to put it another way, most of them make more money in 1 minute than you spend on gaming in an entire year. IE - their time is worth far more to them than whatever they spend on gaming.

In other words, if they do get Game Pass it isn't to save money. It would purely be for convenience or some other reason. These are the same sorts of people that when they go shopping, they don't even bother to look at the price tags of what they are buying because the price is meaningless.

Granted there are also some "try-hards" that try to be a whale that spend a significant percentage of their income on games, but these people in general only spend a small fraction of the money that real whales spend in those games.

Regards,
    SB

DSoup, iroboto and BRiT like this.
  10. Eolirin

Newcomer

People with Game Pass watch less Netflix.