Burnout: Paradise City

the third screenshot in particular shows the PS3 versions reflections are a little more pronounced. again, minor difference, but its quite easy to see there.

i personally don't see much aliasing, i was simply replying to TrungGap and saying i don't see any more aliasing in the PS3 version than the 360 version. both use 2xMSAA.

I was referring to the reflection. In the 3rd screenshot, on the door, you can clearly see that 360 has a some sort of filter/anti-alias applied. Where as on the ps3, it looks chunky.

In addition to reflection, you can see better definition of the letters on the rear tire of the car (360 vs PS3).

Not that any of these differences going to matter during the game. :D

the third screenshot in particular shows the PS3 versions reflections are a little more pronounced. again, minor difference, but its quite easy to see there.
Nope, it doesn't show that. I'm flipping back and forth and see nothing. Even doing a mathematical difference in Photoshop, the only difference is the slightly different screenshot angle and aliased reflection maps in the PS3 version (I can even see the steps this way).

i personally don't see much aliasing, i was simply replying to TrungGap and saying i don't see any more aliasing in the PS3 version than the 360 version. both use 2xMSAA.
I'm just talking about the polygon edges within the reflection. Check my comparison pics again with that in mind. I think 360 has 4xAA for the reflection maps and PS3 has none. Not a big deal, but probably more noticeable in motion.

This is something that I expected more of from 360 devs. I can't understand why Forza2 doesn't have it, for example.

i haven't seen many say it runs a lot faster on ps3, but i have seen a fair amount of people saying that its a little more solid.
In that case I guess it's a wash. I prefer nicer texture filtering on the road in the 360 version, but I'm a little pickier in that regard, and it's not like the PS3 version is completely lacking AF. Others would prefer the "solidness" of the PS3 version.

From my own play, I also get the impression more parts and particles are thrown around in the PS3 version. But as many have said, they're both quite good and kudos to criterion for a great job.

Nope, it doesn't show that. I'm flipping back and forth and see nothing. Even doing a mathematical difference in Photoshop, the only difference is the slightly different screenshot angle and aliased reflection maps in the PS3 version (I can even see the steps this way).
on second view, maybe not. but it does seem like the vehicles on the PS3 version are more reflective/glossier. i guess i prefer the actual objects in the reflections of the 360 version... but personally, i prefer the look of the vehicles in the PS3 version. and reflections during gameplay are hardly noticed at all.

I'm just talking about the polygon edges within the reflection. Check my comparison pics again with that in mind. I think 360 has 4xAA for the reflection maps and PS3 has none. Not a big deal, but probably more noticeable in motion.
i see that now, and it probably would be more noticeable in motion... with that said, again, you rarely see the side of the vehicle when you're playing, so reflections wouldn't be noticed much at all.

In that case I guess it's a wash. I prefer nicer texture filtering on the road in the 360 version, but I'm a little pickier in that regard, and it's not like the PS3 version is completely lacking AF. Others would prefer the "solidness" of the PS3 version.
personally, i don't think the differences alone are enough to decide which platform to buy it on.

but personally, i prefer the look of the vehicles in the PS3 version.
AFAICS, the "look" is identical. Like I said, with photshop I find that the glossiness and colours and everything are identical.

personally, i don't think the differences alone are enough to decide which platform to buy it on.
Well, yeah, usually it depends on what console you own. ;) But for those who have both, I guess it's a toss up.

By Shane Bettenhausen
Is he biased or unreliable?

AFAICS, the "look" is identical. Like I said, with photshop I find that the glossiness and colours and everything are identical.
in the third pic, i can definitely see a difference. if its not the glossiness of the car, what is it? can you at least see that there is a difference? (and no i'm not talking about the aliasing on the objects)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he biased or unreliable?

Yeah, he's pretty much a Sony guy to the bone. He might be right in his comparison, but I'd play it safe and wait for some more comparisons.

BTW, I really enjoy reading your posts on here. I've used the search function to look up your posts on a number of occasions.Please keep up the good work.
jam.gif

Yeah, he's pretty much a Sony guy to the bone. He might be right in his comparison, but I'd play it safe and wait for some more comparisons.

BTW, I really enjoy reading your posts on here. I've used the search function to look up your posts on a number of occasions.Please keep up the good work.
jam.gif

I'm not sure about better texture quality on the PS3, but from the PS3 and 360 pics I've seen so far, the 360 has the edge in texturing quality and reflection.

However, as for frame-rate stability, i don't know...he might be right, but giving that he's wrong about texture, I would take whatever he said with a grain of salt.

Well... I can't tell the difference ^_^
Need to see it in motion for his tearing complain.

The other possible differences I can think of may be setup and equipment related (e.g., HDMI, RGB Full Option, etc.), or stuff pertaining to the total experiences (e.g., XBL integration, custom music, built-in rumble vs free online gaming).

For its "achievement/entitlement" framework, is it true that they are only available on the 360 version ? I'd imagine they will lay down the same hooks for PS Home integration. So they would still be available on the PS3 version but not hooked up to PSN just yet (like Uncharted !). That seems like a natural.

I am overseas right now. Won't be buying the game until I get home 2 weeks later.

Well... I can't tell the difference ^_^

The differences are so minor, that it's hardly worth noting, unless you know what to look for.

While I'm not "Laa-Yosh" (professional) type of person, I can almost clearly see that the 360 beat out the PS3 in texturing from those screenshots. At best you can say that they're about the same, but to say otherwise it shows your bias. So Shane Bettenhausen can talk about other experiences that make PS3 better such as free online, but to say explicitly say texturing is better on the PS3 would bring his creditability in question, because he's seeing something not there.

I'm sure you can see a difference in texture filtering, not the actual textures.

And who's to say they didn't give the PS3 version a late update with higher quality textures, I believe those shots are from the demo, not the full retail game that "biased" Shane would've been testing.

I'm sure you can see a difference in texture filtering, not the actual textures.

I stand corrected. However, when I saying texturing, I was implying the whole shebang (AF, etc).

And who's to say they didn't give the PS3 version a late update with higher quality textures, I believe those shots are from the demo, not the full retail game that "biased" Shane would've been testing.

Possible, but given the 360 and PS3 have about the same amount of memory and that this a multi-platform game, I highly doubt it.

But the PS3 has a HD as standard and more space to store them in the first place.

I don't think it's likely, but who knows.

Right now I think there is one "hands on" review which states the PS3 has better textures.

Back