Breaking: Silicon Knights Files Lawsuit Against Epic

not necesarily.. Bioshock is an fps in mostly closed spaces. Completely different than what Too Human is trying to accomplished.

What is Too Human trying to accomplish?(ignoring the fact that Bioshock's more UE2.5+major overhaul by Irrational+toolset from UE3).

Doesn't game like Boishock kind of vindicate Epic.

Exactly what I was thinking. Bioshock is the nicest game ever to come out on 360, and it's UE3.

Having seen Bioshock, I have to think Epic's middleware business will be just fine.

True, it doesn't vindicate them in regards to this lawsuit, but moving forward, it's obviously a killer engine, that can perform amazing visuals when put in the hands of a talented dev team willing to do the hard work in modifying it.

True, it doesn't vindicate them in regards to this lawsuit, but moving forward, it's obviously a killer engine, that can perform amazing visuals when put in the hands of a talented dev team willing to do the hard work in modifying it.
Doesn't that very point raise doubts as to the evidence of Bioshock supporting UE3? People make silk purses out of sows' ears all the time, in different fields. You can take a naff car and turn it into a great car with a lot of modification. The value of UE3 is to make things easier on developers. If the devs have to put in the same effort modifying UE3 and tool chain to get the required results, versus build their own from scratch, UE3 is no longer a straight win. And we don't know how much they've modified things to pull Bioshock off.

Relating that to the lawsuit, perhaps the Bioshock team had the same issues as SK, but they managed to work past them instead of relying on Epic to come to their aid? This possibility means, for me, the idea of "Look! Finally a UE3 game that isn't from Epic! That proves UE3 is viable" doesn't work. If they had said the engine wasn't hugely modified, that would have supported Epic's position.

I think it was mentioned in an interview that bioshock was originally developed on ue2.5 + custom stuff, and then ported to UE3.
As Bioshock sports some sort of FSAA not found in UE3 games such as Stranglehold I assume Morgoth the Dark Enemy is more spot on.

As Bioshock sports some sort of FSAA not found in UE3 games such as Stranglehold I assume Morgoth the Dark Enemy is more spot on.

I was under the impression that it was a heavily modified UE2.5 and then they later moved on to use the UE3.0 toolset.

I'll try to find the quote...

I was under the impression that it was a heavily modified UE2.5 and then they later moved on to use the UE3.0 toolset.

I'll try to find the quote...

AMN: Speaking of the graphics engine, it's running on Unreal 2.5 right?

Ken: No, we've moved to Unreal 3, we've done a lot of modifications on top of it, all the water effects we've added, and we've added a lot of features like water....again we don't build features just to have them, we build them to have an emotional resonance. The AI relationship with the characters is an emotional thing and with the gameplay, the water, we want to make you feel like the ocean is about to drown you, it's drowning Rapture and as you'll see in the demo, water is just coming into this place so we've hired a water programmer and water artist, just for this game, and they're kicking ass and you've never seen water like this.

Interview

Doesn't game like Boishock kind of vindicate Epic.
Hmmm... I don't think many people would be happy if a game called "Boishock" vindicated their software. Bioshock, on the other hand...

Relating that to the lawsuit, perhaps the Bioshock team had the same issues as SK, but they managed to work past them instead of relying on Epic to come to their aid? This possibility means, for me, the idea of "Look! Finally a UE3 game that isn't from Epic! That proves UE3 is viable" doesn't work. If they had said the engine wasn't hugely modified, that would have supported Epic's position.
Well, I remember them saying pretty much that in regards to UE2.5 as well. But they were pretty comfortable ripping it to shreds since they already had to do it a few times before with System Shock... So being prepared to tear apart UE3 may have been something they were very willing to do and moreover, knew how to.

Doesn't that very point raise doubts as to the evidence of Bioshock supporting UE3? People make silk purses out of sows' ears all the time, in different fields. You can take a naff car and turn it into a great car with a lot of modification. The value of UE3 is to make things easier on developers. If the devs have to put in the same effort modifying UE3 and tool chain to get the required results, versus build their own from scratch, UE3 is no longer a straight win. And we don't know how much they've modified things to pull Bioshock off.

Well, we know that they ported the engine to UE3 within the last year.

It WAS running on 2.5, so obviously Irrational felt there were some very real benefits to be had with moving to 3, or they wouldn't have done it. And they pulled it off without any major delays.

Irrational did this the smart way. Use an older proven engine for the majority of development, and then once Epic has shipped a game, and their engine is in a final more optimized form, THEN switch over.

SK, took a much riskier path, as they had no contingency plan, and no working engine to use while waiting for Epic to deliver UE3 updates.

As I've said before people, especially those not in direct contact with the technical side usually masively underestimate the engineering cost of adopting a 3rd party engine and shipping a title on it.

I've seen cases of management sweeping aside engineering objections to 3rd party engines, only to be cursing the engine supplier a few months later when they realise there is a real engineering cost associated with it.

Some developers know what they are getting up front, and they're willing to pay the cost so they can start content development earlier in the cycle.

How the law suit goes is going to depend on the way Epic presented the technology and set expectations with Silicon Knights, contract law is very complex and I don't pretend to understand it, but it's my understanding that as much can ride on the percieved intent of the contract and discussion surrounding the contract as much as the exact wording of the final agreement especially if the wording is overly broad.

It WAS running on 2.5, so obviously Irrational felt there were some very real benefits to be had with moving to 3, or they wouldn't have done it. And they pulled it off without any major delays.

From the same interview that StefanS posted:

AMN: When did the change happen, the switch to UE3 happen?

Ken: A few months ago, I mean, technically, I think you misunderstand me on how this works, basically, we translated systems over and ported more systems over, but Unreal 3 has a lot of elements that 2.5 has, there's a lot of marketing there, but we had a lot of benefits to that and we're not using all of it, we're using our own things, but we have a lot of benefits too.

So it sounds like they're still mostly using their modified stuff, but they switched the base engine stuff out for UE3. So I wouldn't say this proves anything about UE3 since they're not using the complete engine, and in their own words "there's a lot of marketing there".

i dont know if this has been said but each company that liscenses UR engine are under contractual agreement not to speak anything bad about the engine. Saying there is a lot of marketing there is probably the strongest language a developer can use without breaing there contract and thus a strong indication of them having issues with the engine.

If they have developed on the engine beffore such as UR2.5 then i would say they know exactly what Kind of product and support level to expect when switching to 3.

Slightly related: http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/P...aspx?CID=7c9cc317-97d4-43ff-8ed0-109304348a7c

Rather than turn to the Unreal III engine like so many other games on the Xbox 360 schedule, Dark Sector would be entirely custom-built.

Game director Steve Sinclair tells us, “A lot of promises were made about the Unreal III engine, particularly on PS3. But as we see now, the time frames haven’t been met and now a lot of games using it are being held up.â€￾

I'm lamenting the fact they won't make a sequel now as well. Ending of the last one with the Frost Giants was excellent :(

Back