Breaking: Silicon Knights Files Lawsuit Against Epic

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by scooby_dooby, Jul 19, 2007.

1. scooby_dooby

Legend

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=14759

The drama!

2. scooby_dooby

Legend

[UPDATE] GameDaily BIZ has now heard from Silicon Knights president Denis Dyack.

"We stand behind everything in our complaint and believe it is highly unfortunate that Epic forced us into this situation. We would rather spend our time focusing on making great games, but as stated in our complaint, Epic simply refuses to acknowledge the inadequacies of the Unreal Engine 3 code it provides to its licensees," he said, "and refuses to accept the fact that its code has caused serious damage not only to Silicon Knights, but a number of other developers in the industry. We look forward to successful resolution of our claims in this court proceeding."

3. Ben-Nice

Regular

How does this affect Too Human. Epic can't just pull they're license from them can they?

4. Qroach

Veteran

This sounds pretty stupid imo. I think MS is going to drop these guys soon after they release Too human.

5. Darkon

Regular

Why i wonder ?

6. Xenus

Veteran

I foresee delays and depending on how long it goes I'm not sure it will ever see the light of day. I don't think you can release a game while suing the licenser of your engine.

7. Titanio

Legend

Lots more detail from Gamasutra, who've obtained a copy of the suit. Yikes. I don't even know where to begin quoting.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14759

The E3 06 showing is even cited:

8. NovemberMike

Regular

9. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Well, what non-Epic UE3 games have currently been released on the 360. Might their complaint have some merit? Especially now that they may well be focussing on Unreal Tournament 3?

I don't really know how Epic works here, but so far I haven't seen a non-Epic EU3 game run really well just yet.

EDIT: yikes, that gamasutra article spills the beans. Epic may be in some trouble here.

10. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Wow. This is quite unexpected.

Speculations? :???: :|

I don't recall any yet released except for RoboBlitz on XBLA. Later this year there will be Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Stranglehold, Medal of Honour, Army of Two, Turok, Blacksite Area 51... I'm unclear about BioShock though. There was a UE3.0 game canceled awhile back too - Frame City Killers.

edit: also released were Rainbow 6: Vegas, Monster Madness and Hour of Victory.

11. Darkon

Regular

I can see how UE caused difficulties for multiplat devs since apparently it sucks ass for ps3 but what problems did SK have ?

This certainly will be entertaining, I can see MS suing SK very soon.

12. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

The problem SK have is that apparently Epic didnt gave them a decent working piece of code, which they say epic kept to themselves and didnt give to any licencee.

I dont know what to think of this. You'd say as SK says it they have a point. Epic did have a good working version for GoW, but apparantly they didnt share that as they said they would in the agreement and now SK is having a non functional engine.

OTOH you could say Epic might gave them the latest code, but maybe SK just couldnt work properly with that? though that sounds a bit far fatched as I assume SK does have some capable personal. Also why would epic not give the latest code? I dont think any game using the UE3 engine was on track to be launched around the same time as epic titels?

13. Darkon

Regular

and Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW i believe

Didn't Rainbow Six Vegas launch in the same month ?

#13 Darkon, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2007
  14. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Interesting, just from a basic comparison of visuals and performance the Epic games using UE3 have been far better looking and performing and one must wonder why that is. I get the feeling Epic is simply licensing the engine and not providing a ton of support nor providing the latest revisions or tricks and tweaks that have been done.

15. Corwin_B

Regular

I don't think GRAW uses UE3. R6 does, though. Also, I think I read thar Splinter Cell DA uses an heavily modified version of UE2.5.

16. Darkon

Regular

Wasn't that bioshock ?

17. zed

zed
    Veteran

from the gamasutra piece it does look like SK have a pretty strong case (though of course in court its a lottery who wins)

gears of war came out in what nov2006, from the dozens of titles using UE3 theres been none released since then (excuse - they started later)
    could this could be the start of lawsuits from various other UE3 licenses if they believe epic did hold back
    (though cant see it happening if they still wanna use UE3 in their game)

18. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Later interviews suggested a move to UE3.0, but... it's been rather ambiguous. But based off of the PC files for SC: DA, it looked like they modified UE2.x, not even basing the game off of Ubi Montreal's work with SC: CT. :|

Well, recently, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Monster Madness, Hour of Victory were released.

19. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Exactly, smaller devs (or those without proper funding) could have no choice other than to silently hope Epic gets its act together.

Also, based on the Article, Epic should have provided the PS3-Version of its Engine in February, but it is still missing. This would put UE-licenses that have a PS3-Game in the works in an even more uncomfortable position.

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

If they have had to build their own engines like SK, they've got nothing to lose, and they sure don't want to still be paying licenses (or even worse, royalties) on a codebase they are not even using.

If devs have had their games and reputations damaged, maybe missed milestones and not got paid, this might be a way of publicly clearing their names and claw back some of the money they lost.